A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
scottg

Re: A kickstand has killed my touring bike...

Post by scottg »

PhilD28 wrote:Why not just get the frame repaired, any frame builder could sort that out very easily, even if it requires a new tube. Ellis Briggs, Dave Yates etc. just everyday work to these guys.

And they can braze in a kickstand/mudguard mount too.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I take back everything I ever said about kickstands not being bad for the bike.
Rerouting the dynamo wiring down the downtube this evening I discovered this unsightly mess :(
Not a major worry, but upsetting none the less.

20190307_214705.jpg

Amazingly enough, it didn't occur to me when I first fitted it that the raised ridges shown are there to dig into the frame to prevent over tightening to prevent it slipping. A crude yet effective method but not one I'm pleased with.
Not sure I want to fit it again although I do find it invaluable quite often.

20190307_224937.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it may be just an optical illusion, but the dents on the LH chainstay look larger than those on the other side, which would be consistent with the added load from when the bike is leaning on the stand.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vantage wrote:I take back everything I ever said about kickstands not being bad for the bike.

Oh dear. :( What is the bike?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not an optical illusion @Brucey.
The plate was slightly off to one side when it was clamped so it would clear the tyre when closed. They're smaller on the drive side as only the edge of the plate was digging in. Its a twin leg model. But I do think most of the damage is due to the weight of the bike sitting on it.

It's a Spa Steel Touring @Bmblbzzz.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
pwa

Post by pwa »

People deliberately crimp chain stays (in a different place) to increase clearance, so with adequate protection against rust it may not be a disaster. Just a cosmetic nuisance.

I never put any metal clamp (front mech or whatever) directly onto a painted frame tube because at the very least it is likely to take off paint. I'd have had a few mm of rubber / plastic between clamp and frame and used some other way of stopping the clamp moving. Possibly involving some infilling with the two-pack resin stuff that's used to repair plastic bumpers. Bed the clamp down onto that while it is still soft, then tighten slightly after hardening. Might work.
Last edited by pwa on 8 Mar 2019, 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That's a pretty good idea. Might be a decent use for several layers of old inner tube.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Aren't those kickstands with a flat top designed to fit bikes with a kickstand mounting plate built into the frame structure?
Surly, after years of saying don't mount a kickstand, are now making kickstand plates https://surlybikes.com/parts/kickstand_plate. The idea I guess is you can use a flat topped kickstand and the plates will prevent the chainstays from being crushed. I would like to see a bigger area of contact between the plates and the chainstay, they seem to have put a nice big cut-out just where the clamping force would act.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I see what you mean

also there is no location feature to stop a stand from rotating under the lower plate. I think this will just encourage people to overtighten the mounting bolt. In some cases I expect the stays to be crushed before a stand quits rotating.

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey
The bigger 'crimps' on the left side chainstay may be due the bike's weight being on the left when parked on the stand.

Bill
FWIW,whilst unsightly from beneath I don't think the damage is structural,I'd rub off any rust with wet n dry and paint it to protect.Id keep an eye on it during maintenance all the same though but I think you're safe enough to carry on riding it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

That's the whole clamp assembly...

20190308_175038.jpg

Able to be used with a welded in flat plate but I don't think it was designed exclusively for them.
Didn't Surly say they weren't keen on adding plates for stands as it take away the flexibility of their stays?

Twin legged stand Reohn2. I got tired of my bikes falling over on those single leg jobbies. I'm not worried about structural damage as I've seen much worse on't tinterweb but it is an eyesore. She's not even a year old yet :(
My plan now as previously suggested is to prime and paint over the dings and then stick a big slab of rubber between stand and frame.
Without the stand, my gorgeous bike is resting against a radiator and if I forget to remove the Pendle, my Mars Bars will go all mushy. And we certainly can't have that.
Bill

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote: .......Twin legged stand Reohn2.......

Oops,didn't know that,another theory disproved :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

A stand plate would be instead of the chainstay bridge (that the mudguard mounts to) so shouldn't affect the structure?
Surly were always dead against mounting a kickstand because of the risk of crushing the chainstays.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I used to have a mountain bike with two bolt holes in the rear nds drop out for a kickstand. I know the central position is reckoned to be more stable but in practice, having used both, I think stability depends more on quality (length, stiffness of fixing) of stand than position. And the bolts do mean nothing gets crushed.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:A stand plate would be instead of the chainstay bridge (that the mudguard mounts to) so shouldn't affect the structure?
Surly were always dead against mounting a kickstand because of the risk of crushing the chainstays.

I've seen more frames crack when they have had a stand mounting plate than I have with a conventional chainstay brace. I think you are likely to get worse stress concentrations, if the thing is done averagely well. I also think that a stand mounting plate makes for an excellent crevice that starts corrosion in most cases.

cheers