Chain lube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Chain lube

Post by rjb »

This may be of interest to members, chain wax for wet conditions and lub for dry, plus a cleaner. Advertised for motorbikes but i cant see why it wouldnt be fine for bikes as well. Coming to an ALDI near you from tomorrow. If anyone buys the stuff do let us know how it performs.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/2018-02-08?sor ... d=35&text=

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fossala

Re: Chain lube

Post by fossala »

Wouldn't motorbike lube be thicker due to the speed the chain moves?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

motorbike lubes are (once dry) indeed usually thicker than bicycle lubes because they otherwise just get flung off. Worth noting that most motorcycle chains are 'O' ring type these days which means that the cleaners/ lube has just to keep the rollers happy, without causing the O-rings to deteriorate.

A lot of motorcycle chain lubes don't penetrate the inner workings of the chain very well, so mightn't be at all suitable for a bicycle chain; these might just create a sticky layer of gloop on the outside of the chain which helps to avoid corrosion but picks up grit like a magnet on a bicycle, all without actually keeping the chain well lubricated where it matters.

Not used these products so can't say more than that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Oooooh goody. We haven't had a thread on lubricants for days......O:-)O:-)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have been using Carlube - seems to do the job
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:Oooooh goody. We haven't had a thread on lubricants for days......O:-)O:-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I have been using Carlube - seems to do the job

Which Carlube?
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:

Which Carlube?

oh is there more than one

says 100+ multipurpose grease on the can
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Which Carlube?

That's semi-fluid grease,good stuff,but I found not too good for chains as it attracted grit and road muck like a magnet.
Carlube make a full range of car lubes and products.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Which Carlube?

That's semi-fluid grease,good stuff,but I found not too good for chains as it attracted grit and road muck like a magnet.
Carlube make a full range of car lubes and products.

well i dribbled it onto the chain internal bits so dont get much of that problem
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well i dribbled it onto the chain internal bits so dont get much of that problem

When I tried it,it remained wet and sticky,but if it works for you then it works for you.I can't argue with that but it didn't work for me,much as MickF's White Lightening dry lube didn't for completely opposite reasons.
W H Auden
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I've tried both the WD40 chain lube and the chain wax (I got a handfull of FREE samples at a motorbike race meeting)

I found both products to be way too sticky and the chain looked a right mess in no time. I guess that they can't win, if it sticks we moan and if it flys off we moan.

Anyway, free or not, I didn't like it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I tried one of the highly rated 'wet' chain oils for the first time a few months ago and it was crap.
The good bit was the chain didn't rust because it kept it wet but it just picked up grit and crap and turned it into grinding paste. In 2000 miles it destroyed both the chain and the cassette.

I've gone back to a spray on 'dry' oil.
In the past when I've used it you just end up with a layer of gunk, thin oil wicks into the chain and the thick gunk on the outside keeps the grit on the outside with it.
Normally I'd clean the chain twice a year and it'd last 6000 miles or so and I'd need a cassette every second or third chain. The amount of crud would make Mick F faint and by the end of the winter the derailleur is just a vague outline but it all looks and works like new once cleaned.

I know I should take better care but a bike is just a tool and the cost of my time vs the cost of replacement is biased towards replacement.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

are there ANY greases/lubriants thant DONT attract much and still do the job? if they stick to the chain, muck will stick to the lube?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mercalia wrote:are there ANY greases/lubriants thant DONT attract much and still do the job? if they stick to the chain, muck will stick to the lube?

wax lubes are meant to be better in this respect but they don't have many of the other properties required for a good chain lube (not in the UK anyway.... :roll: )

You need (clean) lube inside the chain bushings to prevent wear; the lube on the outside of the chain need not be much to do its job, which is primarily to prevent the chain from corroding.

Needless to say if you simply wipe off the excess lube (once the solvent has flashed off where appropriate) then the chain won't be such a grit magnet, regardless of the lubricant type used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~