Chain lube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Fraz101

Chain lube

Post by Fraz101 »

hemo wrote:I never clean chains with any degreaser or other solution, wet weather and winter usually does a good job of clearing muck and lube off a chain so every now and then I just give them a lube of ep90. An old cloth sometimes to run the chain through to remove most surface gunk other wise just an oil up and a thin pick to clean between gears on the cassettes. I have 5 bikes and have only replaced 2 chains on all of them in the past 5 years.

What kind of mileage are you doing on them?

I just opted for this lube

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... cant-120ml

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Roadster

Re: Chain lube

Post by Roadster »

reohn2 wrote:White Spirit degreases and evaporates off afterwards if the excess is wiped off and then the chain left hung up for 20 minutes or so afterwards.

To reduce the smell, I use Bartoline Premium Low Odour White Spirit (from B&Q) and shake the chain in a plastic screw-top food bottle. A quick blast with a hot-air gun ensures that no solvent remains before re-lubrication.
I too use two chains in rotation, one on the bike and the other prepared earlier (at my convenience) and ready to be put straight on, which minimizes the bike's down-time during routine maintenance.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Roadster wrote:
reohn2 wrote:White Spirit degreases and evaporates off afterwards if the excess is wiped off and then the chain left hung up for 20 minutes or so afterwards.

To reduce the smell, I use Bartoline Premium Low Odour White Spirit (from B&Q) and shake the chain in a plastic screw-top food bottle. A quick blast with a hot-air gun ensures that no solvent remains before re-lubrication.
I too use two chains in rotation, one on the bike and the other prepared earlier (at my convenience) and ready to be put straight on, which minimizes the bike's down-time during routine maintenance.

5yes I think the last WS I bought was that stuff from B&Q,and I quite forgot last time I clean my chain I used a wide top "Oasis" plastic fruit juice bottle,using an old spoke to retrieve the chain afterwards.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

LinusR wrote:Recently (since I have litre of it) I've been using EP90 Gear Oil which I bought to lube a freehub body. Again, I just painstakingly dab a drop on each roller, rotate the crank a few times and wipe it down thoroughly with a clean rag. This seems to work very well so far and it is a fraction of the price of bike lube.

This is not dissimilar to Mike Burrows regime. http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=259 :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

rjb wrote:This is not dissimilar to Mike Burrows regime. http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=259 :wink:

"the cyclist's greatest tribological challenge, the chain" - brilliant!
hemo

Post by hemo »

Fraz101 wrote:What kind of mileage are you doing on them?

I just opted for this lube

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... cant-120ml

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

I use the bikes for various riding so they are not mega high mileage the oldest chain has about 4k on it and another has about 3k on it. The chains I have replaced are on mtb's which get some serious abuse off road.