Which chain Guard?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
belgiangoth

Which chain Guard?

Post by belgiangoth »

With mudguards I found that I changed through a bunch until I settled on sks (eventually longboards). I’d rather get the right one first time with the potential chainguard, so would welcome thoughts-options:
* full chaincase, I have discarded this idea as I think it will be too much of a hassle with keeping the right chain tension and line on a fixed gear.
* half chaincase like on porteur bikes - would keep the chain mostly covered while allowing easier access to rear. They don’t seem as commonly available (or cheap?)
* a top- only chainguard like vo or sks make. Offers no over to lower half of chain and seems to be designed for derailleurs in mind, possibly designed to allow for issues I won’t have at the cost of functionality I would appreciate.
* something like the biological freedrive chain wrap. Not sure whether that would work with a fixed gear and whether it would trap rain in the lower half of the chain.
Open to other options or general thoughts. I think the last time I asked about it I shelved it under “not worth the bother” but the sharp contrast between the new chain and the old one has got me thinking again.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Brucey

Re: Which chain Guard?

Post by Brucey »

also consider a hebie chainglider.

FWIW I don't think it will be impossible to fit a full chaincase but it won't be that easy either, depending on how long your chainstays are, what your chainset is like etc.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

I switched from chaincase to half guard on one bike for easier rear hub inspection/access/adjustment and because the case collected silt inside. They're fairly easy to get because even Raleigh sell one, although most fit behind the BB cartridge drive side, which may need a bit of fettling on non-cartridge bikes.

I've a top-only aka hockey stick guard on another bike which is OK but doesn't keep quite as much muck off. That bike is hub geared and came with that guard. Derailleur bikes seem to be sold with half guards if anything, from what I see around town.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I had not considered a chai glider asi worry about issues with fixed gears eating it and I do change sprocket sizes through the year.
I forgot that fitting anything will change my chain line.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Hello Belgiangoth

I have this chain case:

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/mudguards ... -chaincase

I find it very worthwhile. When I look at the places where it is dirty, not all of them are in areas which would be covered by a hockey-stick chain guard.

It clamps around the chainstay, so won't affect chainline. If it doesn't quite fit you can carve pieces off it with a stanley knife, or bend the bracket a bit.

Do you use chain tugs? Perhaps that would make setting the chain tension easy. Alternatively, if you use Sheldon Brown's method for setting the chain tension, it should be possible to find the right sideways pressure to get chain tension just right, even without being able to see or touch the chain.