Lightest Gold rated D lock

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: Lightest Gold rated D lock

Post by mjr »

Mr Evil wrote:
mjr wrote:Has the "ExitNodes" setting been removed? In this case, "ExcludeExitNodes {gb}" might suffice.

That should work, but you have to edit a configuration file. Using the button will be easier for most users for a one-off use like this.

Oh OK - it's in the Settings menu on the Android/F-Droid app and may be in apps on other platforms.

Edit to add: it being a bit of a nuisance to do is still not "can't control" though...
Last edited by mjr on 9 Feb 2018, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:Probably the easiest one is the Tor Browser (you can't control which country the exit node is in, so you might have to use the "new tor circuit for this site" button until you get one in another country).

Has the "ExitNodes" setting been removed? In this case, "ExcludeExitNodes {gb}" might suffice.

In my TorBrowser (Mac) I've never found any way to control exit nodes. You used to be able to show the routing through to the internet but in the latest release this has become "very unreliable" - I've managed to display it only a couple of times so maybe works less than 10% of the time.

That said I don't often use it (VPNs are enough for me, and my VPM supports OpenVPN over Tor - but I don't bother with it (speed)).

Ian
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:
mjr wrote:The lightest lock on the LFGSS recommended list https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ seems to be the OnGuard Brute X4 at 1.2kg.

That list appears to be 9 years old, unless it's being updated. I can't find a 1.2 kg OnGuard lock, the closest seems to be 1.4 according to Amazon, still not bad considering the others.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onguard-Pitbul ... 8NZGSD78R4

Yep and that's the Pitbull not the Brute. It looks like the Brute X4 may have been discontinued. The LFGSS list (which does get updated, although not that often AFAICT) link to Tredz gets redirected to the Brute Standard which is 1.8kg.

PH wrote:I don't believe any tooled up thief is going to bother if it's Gold rated or not, the danger of something like the litelok isn't that it can be broken but that it encourages the less skilled thief to have a go. My experience is that coming back to find my bike isn't where I left is is a pain, but coming back and finding it has had a failed attempt, the frame dented, the wheels kicked in probably in frustration and the lights ripped off, is even more inconvenient.

Yes, like you don't need to outrun the bear, you probably only need your bike to look better-locked than the ones near it - and plenty of people still use string-size cables or combination locks, or nothing at all, so almost any half-decent D-lock would probably deter unless your bike is obviously expensive and/or easily resellable.

As you say, the bear analogy is not really appropriate, because whereas any person is a meal for a hungry bear, some bikes are more desirable than others to a thief. It's further complicated because whereas some thieves will target high-value bikes, others will go for easily sellable low value ones.
PH

Post by PH »

igauk wrote:All the info you could need here: http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/u-lock-comparison/. A really useful site that I've been looking at for a new cafe lock.

Thanks for that, a couple on there that are worth checking out, but the list isn't comprehensive.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Why is the U in most D locks so pointlessly wide: surely if only a bit wider than sheffield stands etc it would prevent bottle jacks being inserted?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Why is the U in most D locks so pointlessly wide: surely if only a bit wider than sheffield stands etc it would prevent bottle jacks being inserted?

That was part of my thinking in getting a mini D lock (an Abus, I think someone linked to them upthread). I'm happy with it and it's withstood one attack which burst a standard sized Kryptonite, but if there isn't a Sheffield stand and you have to lock to a lamppost or road sign, it's of limited use.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Have a look at this guys youtube channel. He easily defeats many gold rated locks with no power tools:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6r ... 6FQ/videos

These folding locks look good, but the rivets are just too vulnerable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8uyPsDaw0

Even the lock often considered the best Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit gets picked in almost no time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaj6Hh2kr9E

Also what surprised me about some of the Kryptonite locks is they have a plastic core and the guy shows how they can be melted with a blow torch very easily.

As for light locks, I thought the TiGr mini looked good. The wider version performs well against bolt cutters, but a German magazine tested this and it can be cut through with a hacksaw in no time.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Why is the U in most D locks so pointlessly wide: surely if only a bit wider than sheffield stands etc it would prevent bottle jacks being inserted?

Even the small ones can have problems with using something like a screw spreader designed for work on Exhaust Manifolds. Here is such an attack demonstrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX64AxTBn70
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Is anyone picking locks? I don't reckon so. Plenty of thieves breaking them without power tools though, that's certain.
PH

Post by PH »

tommydog wrote:Have a look at this guys youtube channel. He easily defeats many gold rated locks with no power tools:

Yes, but not really the questions I was asking, in the OP it says
I used to work for an Architectural Ironmonger so have no illusions about how easily any lock can be beaten.

That's all locks, bikes, buildings, vehicles, safes... they're all of limited use.
My criteria is to demonstrate to the insurers, if the situation arises, that I've complied (Or better exceeded) their requirement that I used an adequate lock, doing so without carrying more weight than needed would be an advantage.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Any lock will only keep and an honest man out.

I rarely use one, but I don't commute or lock my bike up where I can't see it. Even if I cycle into town, I'll leave the bike unattended outside the shop/bank/cafe or whatever, but be able to see it constantly. I have a (very loud) alarm lock that I use if I do need to lock up out of sight. If I use it, I'm not far out of earshot.

Back in the day when I did commute, my bike was locked up with a shackle lock, but it was in full view of workmates and staff ......... and they knew that bike was mine!
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:.....I have a (very loud) alarm lock that I use if I do need to lock up out of sight. If I use it, I'm not far out of earshot.

Which one? My previous links to many such devices seem to no longer work ("Cannot find server") so I wonder is many manufacturers (or importers) have disappeared.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Any lock will only keep and an honest man out.

I rarely use one, but I don't commute or lock my bike up where I can't see it. Even if I cycle into town,

We use our bikes in very different ways, vive la difference!
Mine is first and foremost my primary mode of transport, I have a nice bike because I want that to be fun as well.
Plus on some of my tours it isn't all about the cycling, I like to leave the bike and go off doing other things.
My Audax bike probably gets used most like yours, it's never carried more than a short cable lock.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:It's a Kabrus shackle lock.
Really Really Really loud.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45684

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KABRUS-XL202-A ... B00B9GXOJI

That was one of the brands that because Cannot find server" (the kabrus site).

Ian