supple 28c tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

supple 28c tyre

Post by mig »

after a three month enforced lay off from the bike time should now allow a return. easy does it and all that.

i'll probably use a fixed steed that has a maximum clearance under the 'guards for 28c tyres. the wheels are currently shod with HS308 marathons for commuting duties.

as a spur to get me on it a bit more i fancy something more supple but the forum fave - hypers - ain't gonna fit.

i can only think of continentals of some flavour or, at the real racey end, a schwalbe 'one.' the front rim is a mavic A117, the rear an MA3.

'owt else recommended?

ta muchly.
PH

Re: supple 28c tyre

Post by PH »

My favourite 28mm is the conti GP 4 season, reasonable compromise of all the factors usually discussed, though a bit pricey unless you find them on offer. When not on offer I've gone for a Rubino Pro which are not far behind for a good bit less money, last time I looked I gave up, there so many models and variations I had no idea which was which.
Both tyres come up a little small on Open Pros.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would second a recommendation for a Rubino Pro, as being good value for the performance on offer.

Hope your enforced off-the-bike-ness wasn't anything too serious... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PH wrote:My favourite 28mm is the conti GP 4 season

+1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

While you may call the Schwalbe One “real racey”, it’s probably the most puncture-resistant of tyres around its rolling resistance. I use these tyres and have done about 5,000 km since my last puncture on the wet and glass-strewn streets around Paris. I cannot count the number of punctures others have had around me in that time, including literally dozens on the Grand Prix 4000 S II that many of my fellow cyclists use.

The rubber of the Schwalbe One cuts up fairly easily, but the puncture-resistant barrier beneath is seriously tough.

Despite that, they are comfortable tyres albeit not on the level of the ‘open tubular’ designs (my main experience being with the highly supple Veloflex Master).

Their main weakness is wet grip, which may be a problem at this time of year if you’re the sort to push the limits.
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

If we assume that suppleness can be inferred from rolling resistance, then the best 28mm tyre would be the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless. I've not used those before. The best non-tubeless is the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II, which I have on a bike right now (but in 25mm width), and can confirm that they feel very supple.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Mr Evil wrote:If we assume that suppleness can be inferred from rolling resistance …

That’s a big if. A railway wheel has low rolling resistance but is not supple. A stiff tyre can be fast on a smooth road as long as it has low hysteresis, and a supple tyre may nonetheless absorb much energy when flexed (even though it flexes easily).

Consider that dampening is energy absorption. My Michelin Pro4 Grip tyres have high rolling resistance but are unusually comfortable for their width and pressure. I think they dampen vibration in a lossy way in the high-hysteresis rubber.

I can tell from the Veloflex Master that is much suppler than the Schwalbe One and yet measures similarly for rolling resistance that these traits do not strictly correlate although there is clearly some link. There may be a greater link on the road where smoothness helps your speed although a drum test doesn’t reveal that.

When holding a Veloflex Master and Schwalbe One in your hands, it’s notable how much easier it is to stretch the tread of the Veloflex lengthwise (circumferentially). This is because it has a very thin (and ineffective in Paris) anti-puncture belt. I think that belt is the main reason the Schwalbe One is not as supple. But whatever the Schwalbe’s belt is made of, it doesn’t have much hysteresis.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

I like Continental GP4 Seasons especially for autumn/winter riding, but I find them too expensive to use as commuter tyres, since I risk tyre cuts by broken bottles on my commute.

A somewhat cheaper alternative is the "Continental Gran Prix GT", a version with extra wide puncture protection. It uses the same tread compound as the GP4000II so it is very supple and race-like. I think this is my new favourite "fun" tyre that easily outclass my old Gatorskins and Gator Hardshells in every parameter.

Another even cheaper tyre I like is the "Continental Contact Speed". It comes in 28mm with reflective sidewalls, and is very attractively priced. Not as race-like as the GP 4S or GP GT, but not sluggish at all. Feels close to the Continental Gator Hardshells in rolling resistance.
Here is a review of its predecessor (I think only the name changed) the "Continental Sport Contact II"
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ntact-2016
--
Regards
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Conti4 seasons are not supple nor fast rolling, they are a solid winter tyre nothing more, I sold mine after a couple of rides, lifeless and slow, If you want to get a continental then go for the GP40000SII, they're similar price to the 4S but much nimbler/supple.

I've been using 28mm Giant P-SL 2s, same weight, come up to a proper width unlike the 4S which came up noticeably smaller (26.5mm measured) for the same size on the same rim/tube/inflation. I've not suffered a puncture even though I had them fitted to my winter racer that I use for touring and utility rides too. Problem is they are difficult to find, I've bought a spare set when I found them (on ebay) and think they better the 4S in every way. Have the 28mm non folding version of the Giant on the front of my daily and it's brilliant.

Rubino Pro III is a fast rolling tyre and inexpensive.
Michelin pro 4 Endurance v2 gets good raps.
Depends on how much you want to spend and what's worth more to you, puncture protection or rolling resistance/feel as there are some cracking tyres out there, oh and I wasn't overly impressed with the Vittoria Corsa graphene and it's not cheap.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 9 Feb 2018, 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Continental contact sport 2 have no puncture protection, I had a pair when I bought my winter bike & I had a puncture every time I went out, don’t waste your money on them.

I’ve never had a problem with gatorskins I swear by them. The 4seasons feature the same puncture protection but with a bit more tread pattern.

The pressure you run them at will also effect the ride feel personally I inflate mine to 95psi on front & 100psi on the rear.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

SmilerGB wrote:Continental contact sport 2 have no puncture protection, I had a pair when I bought my winter bike & I had a puncture every time I went out, don’t waste your money on them.

In case this is about my recommendation of the "Continental Sport Contact II" / "Continental Contact Speed" then even though it sounds similar to the "Continental Sport II" tyre (that doesn't have good puncture protection), it really is a completely different tyre with good puncture protection.
I guess name similarity and the arising confusion is why Continental decided to rename it.
--
Regards
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Hahaha, I need to learn to read better lol your right the are a very similar name it threw me off.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
mig

Post by mig »

Samuel D wrote:While you may call the Schwalbe One “real racey”, it’s probably the most puncture-resistant of tyres around its rolling resistance. I use these tyres and have done about 5,000 km since my last puncture on the wet and glass-strewn streets around Paris. I cannot count the number of punctures others have had around me in that time, including literally dozens on the Grand Prix 4000 S II that many of my fellow cyclists use.

The rubber of the Schwalbe One cuts up fairly easily, but the puncture-resistant barrier beneath is seriously tough.

Despite that, they are comfortable tyres albeit not on the level of the ‘open tubular’ designs (my main experience being with the highly supple Veloflex Master).

Their main weakness is wet grip, which may be a problem at this time of year if you’re the sort to push the limits.

or live in manchester :lol:
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The utility cyclist wrote:Conti4 seasons are not supple nor fast rolling, they are a solid winter tyre nothing more, I sold mine after a couple of rides, lifeless and slow, If you want to get a continental then go for the GP40000SII, they're similar price to the 4S but much nimbler/supple.

I've been using 28mm Giant P-SL 2s, same weight, come up to a proper width unlike the 4S which came up noticeably smaller (26.5mm measured) for the same size on the same rim/tube/inflation. I've not suffered a puncture even though I had them fitted to my winter racer that I use for touring and utility rides too. Problem is they are difficult to find, I've bought a spare set when I found them (on ebay) and think they better the 4S in every way. Have the 28mm non folding version of the Giant on the front of my daily and it's brilliant.

Rubino Pro III is a fast rolling tyre and inexpensive.
Michelin pro 4 Endurance v2 gets good raps.
Depends on how much you want to spend and what's worth more to you, puncture protection or rolling resistance/feel as there are some cracking tyres out there, oh and I wasn't overly impressed with the Vittoria Corsa graphene and it's not cheap.

I'm quite happy with GP4 Season for commuting and the light touring, surrely don't feel as fast as GP4000S which is a proper racing tyre and in fat this is delicate and to be used with the due care, but I won;t say that the GP4 Season are "lifeless and slow".

Panaracer Pasela are a good alternative, also the old Vittoria Pave. Not tried the new Rubino's yet, the older ones had a grip to be described "iffy" at best :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

GP4000 "delicate", I don't think so, measured thickness at the tread is similar, the sidewalls are 0.15mm thicker on the 4S (according to BRR). The OP wants a supple tyre, the 4S really is not a supple tyre, it's okay for what it is but there are a lot better and cheaper options out there that roll better and give decent puncture resistance.
Of course if puncture resistance (at sides and through the tread) is your main priority then you do tend to suffer in the supple/fast rolling stakes, for me as a 100kg rider I didn't like the 4S, I found it to be lifeless and not particularly fast rolling, I found a tyre that I liked that was far closer to size, gave me feedback and rolled better. Everyone has their opinion, that is mine.