A reverse Salvador Dali; -or how to straighten wheel rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: A reverse Salvador Dali; -or how to straighten wheel rims

Post by Brucey »

Regarding the repair described in the first post; I could have reset the clock in the camera to throw those of you who couldn't resist reading the Exif data off the scent, but I didn't. The main rim repair did indeed take a little over five minutes to do and a minute or so to set up and take the second photo. There were about seven corrective bends put into the rim, in some cases the same place was corrected more than once, until the result was right. As I mentioned earlier it is best not to overdo the corrective bends.

Needless to say the first time I tried a repair like this it took a lot longer to do..... :shock: .... in addition (as I previously mentioned) the subject rim was chosen in this case because it was unlikely to be a troublesome repair. Frankly, leaving the exif data like that was something of a double bluff; if (after I had tried a few rims myself) you had told me that it might be possible to repair a rim like that at all, let alone in that short a time, I would not have believed it!

So, anyway, it is often possible to swiftly repair very wonky looking rims; you have little to lose by trying! In some cases the results will be nigh-on perfect, in other cases the repaired rim isn't quite perfect and the wheel will have slightly uneven tension when it is rebuilt. I recommend that if you wish to re-use such a slightly imperfect repaired rim, it is best built into an undished wheel of some kind, rather than (say) a heavily dished rear derailleur wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jackducan07

Post by Jackducan07 »

Knowing how to straighten a bent bike rim allows me to effortlessly speed up any driveways with my fixed rim. You can do it, you need: Check your bike’s spokes and rim, slowly turn the wheels and inspect the gap between your wheel and the brake disc. To straighten bike rim, start by carefully turning to the rim area where it hits brake pad, tighten the spoke opposite to the damaged area. Then, Tighten the bike spokes. Take a look at the rim’s ding, evenly tighten the two spokes across from the ding. After fixing the wheel and making the gaps even, proceed with pressing each pair of spokes in your bike rim.
Jackducan07

Post by Jackducan07 »

Jackducan07 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:39pm Knowing how to[url/https://biketoworkday.us/how-to-straigh ... -bike-rim/] straighten a bent bike rim[/url] allows me to effortlessly speed up any driveways with my fixed rim. You can do it, you need: Check your bike’s spokes and rim, slowly turn the wheels and inspect the gap between your wheel and the brake disc. To straighten bike rim, start by carefully turning to the rim area where it hits brake pad, tighten the spoke opposite to the damaged area. Then, Tighten the bike spokes. Take a look at the rim’s ding, evenly tighten the two spokes across from the ding. After fixing the wheel and making the gaps even, proceed with pressing each pair of spokes in your bike rim.