TRP Spyre Vs Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bmblbzzz

Re: TRP Spyre Vs Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Phileas wrote:I've just replaced my front Spyre caliper with a BB7 mainly because I was fed up with the self-adjustment on the Spyre.

You mean the adjustment that you have to do yourself? :wink: I don't think there are any cable-operated discs which are self-adjusting.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Bmblbzzz wrote: I don't think there are any cable-operated discs which are self-adjusting.

It's a "feature" of Spyres that only appears after a period of use.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Phileas wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote: I don't think there are any cable-operated discs which are self-adjusting.

It's a "feature" of Spyres that only appears after a period of use.

:lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

climo wrote:
Brucey wrote:
pete75 wrote:
On my trike I can't get the BB7's to not brake straight. Even using one brake it stops in a moreless straight line. I'd prefer it if you could use the brakes for steering like with a tractor.

the contrast is, in good part, almost certainly because there is a difference in the steering geometry between the two machines. I'd guess that Pete75's machine has little or no 'scrub radius' but climo's machine doesn't.

IME if you have an appreciable amount of scrub radius then the machine will veer to one side if the brakes are out of balance. It will also tend to follow cambers, and pull to one side if one tyre is softer than the other one, that kind of thing.

cheers

Now you've lost me. :(
I've got an HP Velotechnik Scorpion 20in full suspension. Different steering design than an ICE trike if that helps. Yes it does follow cambers

Mines a 20" Scorpion with only rear suspension. Also have an Ice with Sturmey hub brakes and that won't really brake steer either.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
climo

Post by climo »

pete75 wrote:
climo wrote:
Brucey wrote:
the contrast is, in good part, almost certainly because there is a difference in the steering geometry between the two machines. I'd guess that Pete75's machine has little or no 'scrub radius' but climo's machine doesn't.

IME if you have an appreciable amount of scrub radius then the machine will veer to one side if the brakes are out of balance. It will also tend to follow cambers, and pull to one side if one tyre is softer than the other one, that kind of thing.

cheers

I've got an HP Velotechnik Scorpion 20in full suspension. Different steering design than an ICE trike if that helps. Yes it does follow cambers

Mines a 20" Scorpion with only rear suspension. Also have an Ice with Sturmey hub brakes and that won't really brake steer either.

Then its the front suspension - I wonder if one side needs adjusting. However I also have an ICE with the same BB7's and that brake steers although not as much as the Scorpion.