In line cable adjusters - where to fit?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
flat tyre

In line cable adjusters - where to fit?

Post by flat tyre »

I'm in the process of assembling a new bike. It has internal cables and I'm wondering where the best position is to fit inline cable adjusters. E.g. close to the point where the cables enter the frame on the down tube, where the cables exit the handle bar tape, or somewhere in between?
hamster

Re: In line cable adjusters - where to fit?

Post by hamster »

Hmm, somewhere in between. Do a test run of the outer and fit the adjuster where the curve is least - this will avoid a horrible kink at the end of the adjuster.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

flat tyre wrote:I'm in the process of assembling a new bike. It has internal cables and I'm wondering where the best position is to fit inline cable adjusters. E.g. close to the point where the cables enter the frame on the down tube, where the cables exit the handle bar tape, or somewhere in between?

it depends a lot on the frame design!

As a rule of thumb, avoid to fit them in the middle, as you'll end up with bend ferrules or cable. Keep them where the cable runs still straight, often could be right by the bars or by the entry point in the frame, but as said it depends a lot on the design and frame/bars size!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be at the cabling up stage within the next couple of days.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Hi, use metal cable ends not plastic, and have you access to the Park cable kit with wires and magnets that makes this job so easy compared to faffing in any cheaper frame which doesn't have internal guide tubes or leads..if there are leads in the frame for Gods sake don't pull them out until you have studied the routing.. experience..had to sort a few who did exactly that... it helps..will
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

flat tyre wrote:I'm in the process of assembling a new bike. It has internal cables and I'm wondering where the best position is to fit inline cable adjusters. E.g. close to the point where the cables enter the frame on the down tube, where the cables exit the handle bar tape, or somewhere in between?
I bought a pair of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk684-all ... -grappler/
I only needed one, so I now have a spare!

I fitted it along the rear run from the frame to the rear mech. Not so good for adjustment when riding of course, but once the adjustment is done, you shouldn't have to touch it again until you replace something.
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (34.89 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Mick F. Cornwall