Viner with non-standard alu steerer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Viner with non-standard alu steerer

Post by David9694 »

Bought from Planet X - Columbus tubing. Surprised to find a standard star nut just passed through the steerer. Am I missing something here?
Had to make do with an expander, but it doesn’t feel as robust.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Valbrona

Re: Viner with non-standard alu steerer

Post by Valbrona »

Were you trying a 1" star nut in a n 1 1/8" steerer?

If the steerer is aluminium it is much better to use a bung as opposed to a star nut because of the smaller ID than you would get with a steel steerer - thicker wall.

Hope HeadDoctor bung is really good for aluminium steerers. Fits the ID well.
I should coco.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I thought expanders were for carbon steerers? I’ve only ever seen star nuts recommended for Alu - ‘til now that is.

At a £ a pop I tried a coulple more 1 1/8” star nuts in case I’d got a duff one with the headset, but it was clearly the steerer that was different.

I wondered if there were any non-standard (Italian?) standards for this that I’d missed?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Why not just ask Planet X?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You can get larger steerer tubes than 1.1/8" such as 1.25" and 1.5".
Any chance that it is one of the larger steerer's and may need a larger star nut.
No problem in using a bung though as it is just to set the pre-load of the steerer bearings. The stem clamp is the part that does the final holding.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

foxyrider wrote:Why not just ask Planet X?

Oh yes, Planet X, that well known beacon of customer service light. I did get a response from Richard Sachs who devised the lugged Columbus tubing - didn’t help.
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

Don't worry about how robust it feels. Once the stem has been clamped on, the bung becomes mechanically redundant - you can even take it out completely with no ill effect.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mr Evil wrote:Don't worry about how robust it feels. Once the stem has been clamped on, the bung becomes mechanically redundant - you can even take it out completely with no ill effect.

On carbon steerer forks the bung most often acts as reinforcement!
Needs to know exactly what forks are, before deciding what to fit!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...