Brake lever gone solid

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
puffin

Brake lever gone solid

Post by puffin »

Hi
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't know a lot about how my bike works.

The brake lever (which is one that doubles as a gear change) on my Rchmond Spa bike, has jammed, it appears to have locked solid. The cable it pulls still moves by hand if I tug it directly. Does anyone know what might have happened?
Gattonero

Re: Brake lever gone solid

Post by Gattonero »

Not much help can be given if you don't specify what type of shifter/lever you have?
The answer can be pretty generic, from what I can gather you can move the brake wire by hand but can you push it from the housing to the lever (reverse direction of what you would do when braking) so to make sure there's no problem with the cabling/wire?
Other things to consider may be the head of the wire moved off (this can happen with some levers) and is now in the way, or there has been a crash/knock so the lever cannot pivot free... the list can go on!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'll try those first thing, thanks for getting back
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

most likely the cable has started to fray within the shifter, or it could be the lever is on the way out but try the cheap stuff first
if your not mechanically minded it might be worth a trip to your local bike shop. they will help diagnose and if it just a a cable they will probably replace for a reasonable price.
NUKe