Tight tyres on tubeless ready rims.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Tight tyres on tubeless ready rims.

Post by Gattonero »

Vetus Ossa wrote:Reading this topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120080&start=15 has prompted me to ask for advice on a niggling issue I have with my bike.
Due to poor health I now ride an ebike, no problem with that I am very happy doing so.
My bike is a 2017 Cube with 27.5 wheels as it’s a small frame.
I mostly ride on cycle tracks and on the road so pretty quickly ditched the tractor tyres that came with it and fitted Schwalbe Big Ben’s which suite my type of riding perfectly.
When I came to remove the original tyres it would be an understatement to say I had problems parting the bead from the rim, it was so difficult I considered asking the shop to do it for me, but as I don’t like to be beaten I persevered and eventually managed to fit the new tyres.
I should add I am 70 and not so strong these days.
Since riding on the Big Ben’s I have punctured once, and was lucky enough to be able to repair it in my garage as it was still as difficult to remove the tyre as previously.
The thought of puncturing away from home is a real concern, so much so I would really like to replace the rims with some none tubeless ready rims, so as to make the tyre removing process manageable.
I don’t want to get drawn into the tubeless vs tubed discussion except to say I don’t intend to use tubeless tyres.
Could anyone suggest suitable, reasonably priced rims for me please.
I would like to keep the spokes if possible to cut down on expense.
I am currently trying to find out the ERD of my rims, so I can replace them the easy way, but it’s not easy to measure in the bike is it.
My current rims are Alexrims EX23 and I can find no info on them.

You have tubeless rims to use tubeless tyres. If not, use clinchers.

Tubeless tyres have their place, clinchers have others, you have to make a decision: are you running very low pressure on very wide tyres? Or are you simply riding very wide tyres? Or do you often get punctures by thorns, small glass flints? Can you access the wheel easily, and clean the tyre/top-up the sealant if needs to?
If so, you should carry on with Tubeless tyres, otherwise the standard clinchers are more practical. But this means it was either a bad choice of the bike, or if no other option was available you will have to replace the rims.

The 27.5" is a Mtb size, so it's almost inevitable to be a tubeless rim, unless you find a suitable clincher rim in a size that is close to that, like 590.
Even tho, I don't see why you need to removethe tubeless tyre? The sealant will work to fix the puncture, if the hole is too big just use the "plug" that work very well indeed!
By the time the damage cannot be fixed by the sealant, nor by the plug, it has been a serious big cut that will leave you in trouble with Tubeless or clinchers alike.
In fact, what you can patch on a Tubeless tyre with the "plug" cannot be done with a clincher. Or course, we're talking of relatively knobbly tyres, not slick ones.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
johnuttley

Post by johnuttley »

I've just bought a new Boardman SLR8.6 road bike to replace my much loved 40 year old. Unfortunately when I got home (a 12 hour ferry ride) I found the front wheel has a slow puncture. How do I get the tyre off the rim? The spec says the rim is tubeless ready and the tyre is a Vittoria Zaffiro 700 x 25c. I can't get the bead to move a micron away from the rim, even using extreme force. Could it be glued? I have changed 100's of tyres in my lifetime and I'm feeling a bit deflated!
Last edited by John1054 on 22 May 2018, 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove unacceptable innuendo.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tubeless ready rims usually have a small lip that is meant to prevent the tyre bead from unseating when you don't want it to. However as you have found it also prevents you from unseating the bead when you do want to, too.
Basically you need brute force and some decent tyre levers; think the Michelin ones (or of that shape) might be best for this sort of job; they are broad at the end, fairly thin, and have a fairly pronounced hook that may let you get started more easily.

Once the bead is off the lip, the rest is like a normal tyre, but worse; the tyres are a tighter fit and the rim well is shallower. I would describe rims like that as 'a total PITA'. I have no plans to buy any wheels with rims like that anytime soon and I advise anyone who wants to be able to easily fix punctures in a normal way to avoid this kind of arrangement too. BTW Vittorias are usually by far from the tightest tyres, fit wise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
johnuttley

johnuttley

Post by johnuttley »

Thanks Bruce. I have managed to sort it by using a g clamp to force a section of bead away from the rim. Once I'd done that it was pretty easy. I'll save up for some new wheels!