Is it possible to shorten a bicycle frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: Is it possible to shorten a bicycle frame?

Post by horizon »

Audax 555S.jpg
Freddie wrote:Horizon, your problem is that the higher a saddle is at any given angle, the further away it is from the same saddle set exactly the same way vis-à-vis seatpost position (height and fore/aft adjustment) on a steeper or slacker seat tube. Long legs will exacerbate the problem of too steep a seat tube. 73.5 is a steep seat tube. 72 is not (71 used to be quite common back in the 1950s).

I don't need the full extent of a VK adaptor which allows 4 cm fore or aft - I push the saddle forwards. So this means I probably need 2 cm on a 73 deg seat angle or ... 71 deg, as you say. I reckon with a 72 deg seat tube (e.g. Spa tourer) and Nidd saddle (a bit longer on the rails than a B17) I'm home and dry and can get rid of the VK.

But then I have to deal with the reach and this would imply a smaller size frame or one where toe overlap was less generously allowed for. The bike above is too small really but Thorn don't make a size bigger like this!

PS I've re-read my post above and I think I must mean long thighs: of course the leg length is accommodated in the saddle height. So why do I push back in the way that even Steve Hogg agrees with (May 16 2011 in the comments). As I see it, it is at the point of bending the knee whereas on the down stroke I have as much or as litle height adjustment as I want. The VK gives me whatever saddle position I want, but at the expense of reach.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

How short is your very short stem? Could you not couple the short stem with compact (short forward reach) drops.

Furthermore, if you are pushing the saddle back (recreating a slack seat tube angle) and the head angle remains the same (probably a 73), then the bars will be progressively further away the higher they go. A frame with parallel angles or a slightly shallower head angle would mitigate this problem somewhat.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Horizon
You didn't post your opimum measurements.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

horizon wrote:
531colin wrote:
horizon wrote:..... To accommodate my legs I shift the saddle back - you have to do this or you just sit off the back of the saddle....

This is the bit that worries me.....Generally, you set the saddle HEIGHT for your leg length (with various caveats)

Preamble (warning - maybe TLTR!)

I've tried to limit myself at times to talking only about frame proportions. This thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118634&hilit=spa+titanium+brushed almost exactly parallels many of the problems I faced in simply understanding how a frame fits together and changes dimensions and angles according to make and size. I'm happy that I can now (almost) buy a bike knowing what it is I am buying in terms of size and fit.

So that's the frame but it leaves all the other variables of body proportion, flexibility and riding style i.e. the rider. It also leaves the possible adjustments - cleats, stem and saddle. As I said upthread, most of "me" is totally happy on a bike but it leaves the niggling problem of reach. This is caused principally by my moving the saddle back further than normal and thus putting the bars out of comfortable reach.

The conclusion I came to is that my overlong legs led me to buy bikes that were generally too large (and coincidentally had usefully long top tubes) but actually not too far wrong for my height. A smaller size would have solved the reach problem (despite the shorter head tube) and that is where I am now heading. I'm going to test one by buying a cheap second hand touring bike in a smaller size and giving it a good trial. I'm also currently using my Dawes Horizon without a VK adaptor to see what that really feels like. It has a 73.5 deg seat angle and I'm thinking that 72 deg might clinch it. I must emphasise though that most of the time I am almost 100% OK - it's just that i cannot really test it out. And I also find that my needs change over the course of a ride - as they do for anyone.

So back to your point: I agree. I had actually come to the same conclusion (it may have been something in this thread). But that leaves me completely in the dark as it might be one of several factors - my leg proportions, upper body flexibility, foot position on the cleats etc. But I reckon you still need to be behind the pedals sufficiently in order to complete the pedal cycle - you cannot bend your knees enough without being able to push you body back. So I still think that seat angle is critical if you have long legs for you height - remember, I am not tall (5'10") but I have long legs for my height (34" inside leg). This, as I see it, throws the balance between saddle height and reach - as you accommodate your legs (by moving your bum backwards, you lose your arm position in relation to the bars. BTW I have plenty of height adjustment on all my bikes. I accept that if I were very flexible that wouldn't be a problem but I like a fairly relaxed upright position - mind you, I still like the bars nearer even when my back drops (bending my arms).

QUESTION EVERYTHING......and question again until you are sure that you understand what they are saying, and why they are wrong (or, sometimes, right.)
For example, your squatting man with the caption "the longer your thighs, the further back your bum must go" ......while its true that if you have long thighs your bum must go further behind your knees, the caption could have been "the longer your thighs, the further forward your knees must go"......because when squatting you have to be in balance, that is your centre of gravity (centre of mass) must be over your feet, otherwise you will fall over. And that is the function of saddle fore and aft adjustment.....push the saddle only as far back as it needs to be in order to have a comfortable (small) amount of weight on your hands.
For actually pedalling and propelling the thing, if you had said you need to be far enough behind the pedals to get your heels down, I would agree. If you can't flex (bend) your knees enough to get the pedals "over the top" that sounds like the saddle is too low.
Seat angle is critical for getting the saddle far enough back to reduce the weight on your hands....just watch all the people on fashionable road bikes with fashionable steep seat tube angles....they all pedal toe down all the time. If you are racing, even if its only "racing" your mates on a Sunday morning, then an aerodynamic position is not only worth having, its worth a little bit of effort to achieve. The steep seat tube angle pushes your bum forwards, which makes it easier for the average Joe (Joanne) to achieve an aerodynamic position....the bum goes forwards and up, the hands go forward and down, the weight of the torso falls increasingly on your hands. (I'm not talking about the world-class athletes who ride like this...... the fact that world-class athletes can achieve a particular riding position doesn't make it a "given" that middle-aged recreational cyclists should strive for the same position) I can't remember who it was, somebody referred to this as the rider's body "rotating around the pedal spindles".....and I think thats an accurate analogy. As your bum comes forward, your toes go down, and the saddle needs to go up to reduce knee flexion. Watch the professional riders in the international events....only a handful ride with their foot level, very few get their heels down like Froome.....the majority ride toe down all the time.
Recreational riders, however, need their saddle far enough back to limit the weight on the hands, and low enough to reach the bottom pedal with the foot flat. If you need to be on tiptoe to reach the bottom pedal, you are just one step away from over-extending your knees with every pedal stroke. (If you are looking for that knee extension to give maximum power for your muscle work, its perfectly simple to slide back in the saddle for whatever proportion of the ride you are seeking maximum power....not much for me, I'm mainly enjoying the ride!)
That thread about titanium bikes started soon after I moved house, and I thought there was enough nonsense in it without me joining in.
For example, its pointless measuring the top tube length if you take no notice of seat tube angle. A degree on the seat tube is worth about 10mm on the top tube for an average rider. A short top tube doesn't translate into a short reach if you have to push the saddle way back.
"Reach" measured in front of the bottom bracket will tell you just exactly that....but the "reach" of a frame doesn't matter at all if you can't get your bum in the right place.
And "weight distribution".....my favourite red herring. ....look at all the bikes that use the same chainstay length for all the sizes......look at all the big frames with short front centres where they increase the reach by steepening the head angle and reducing the fork offset. I even came across somebody who reckoned the seat tube angle should vary if the rider has a fat ass, in order to keep the weight distribution "correct".
When buying a bike, the usual trade-off is you can go for a smaller size, this should give a shorter reach (as long as you avoid the trickery where they steepen the seat tube in order to reduce top tube length) at the expense of a shorter head tube, which means you have to work at getting the bars high. If you go for a bigger size, you are likely to get a taller head tube at the cost of a longer reach, and sometimes a slacker seat tube angle as well.
73.5 deg seat tube angle is too steep for me to be comfortable, at least it is with a Brooks saddle.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

horizon wrote:...............
PS I've re-read my post above and I think I must mean long thighs: of course the leg length is accommodated in the saddle height. So why do I push back in the way that even Steve Hogg agrees with (May 16 2011 in the comments). As I see it, it is at the point of bending the knee whereas on the down stroke I have as much or as litle height adjustment as I want. The VK gives me whatever saddle position I want, but at the expense of reach.

Could you be more specific? Is it where Steve is talking about standing by a wall?.....that's what I'm saying about your squatting man.
horizon

Post by horizon »

For example, its pointless measuring the top tube length if you take no notice of seat tube angle. A degree on the seat tube is worth about 10mm on the top tube for an average rider. A short top tube doesn't translate into a short reach if you have to push the saddle way back.

I had to get my head round all this sort of stuff. I get the impression that geometry info/charts is much better these days even if inconsistent. So I take effective top tube (another complication!) and reduce or increase by 1 cm around a 73 deg norm for comparison. So for example, a 56 ETT with a 74 deg seat angle is in my book a 57 while a 58 ETT with a 72 deg seat tube angle is also a 57 for my purposes!

This pretty much gives me reach as well (which you always said) as the head tube will pivot at the top tube - the angle isn't too important except for toe overlap and, well, top tube length which is already defined.

I'm getting my stats ready for reohn2 but really ETT and seat angle tells me all i need to know (head tube length is useful but not critical if the steerer isn't cut).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:Horizon
You didn't post your opimum measurements.

So hopefully here they are but I reserve the right to come back and change them! They are very approximate as some measurements are difficult to do and others because I can only approximate where I want things to be. They are based on my Dawes Horizon which is a bit cobbled together at the moment:

From point vertically above BB to middle of saddle: 17.5 cm This is effectively centre of seat tube and is adjustable.

From point vertically above BB to top of head tube and steerer nut: 36 cm. This AFAICS gives a combined top tube (horizontal) of 53.5 cm. I reckon I could easily add a couple of cm to this.

Top of saddle to pedal in straight line parallel with seat tube: 92 cm My knee can straighten with heel on pedal.

Top of saddle to ground (vertical): 99cm. My toes on both sides can reach the ground simultaneously.

Height of bars from ground: 107 cm. This is very high and reflects some compensation for the reach and a complication with the stem raiser. I would lower the bars probably if the reach were nearer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Heres only one useful measurement in that list:-
horizon wrote:. ..Top of saddle to pedal in straight line parallel with seat tube: 92 cm My knee can straighten with heel on pedal..

To help with riding position and frame size we need to also know your other ideal and optimum riding measurements:-
How far the the nose of the saddle is behind the BB centre,this is measured by dropping a plumbline from nose of saddle to BB area and measuring the distance beween pumbline and BB centre,measured with the bike on a level surface.

Distance from nose of saddle to centre of the handlebars where they're clamped in the stem.

How much higher or lower the handlebars are in relation to the saddle.
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

About measurements.......
If we want to compare different riders with different saddles, we should be measuring from the bum bone dent in the top of the saddle.
For one rider setting up 2 bikes with the same saddle its OK to measure from the saddle nose.
Can I suggest measurements we could use? Aim is maximum accuracy for minimum fuss.
Saddle height.....BB axle to bum bone dent (this is Lemonds way) +/- 5mm for crank length variation, if you like, but I suspect 5mm will be the least of our worries)
saddle setback....bum bone dent (BBD) to a plumbline going through BB
rider reach.....BBD to handgrip ... the "usual" handgrip....or multiple, eg tops, hoods, drops
bar drop (rise) saddle top to grip(s)
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm a bit busy today but I'm going to keep verifying and adding measurements where necessary. I don't find it easy as some (e.g. saddle dent!) aren't very accurate. I'm using my Horizon as that has a horizontal TT.

One reason I gave BB (plumb drop on horizontal TT) to stem bolt was that going forward from that point is simply a comfort/performance adjustment - let's say a 10 mm stem. Everything to do with bars and stem is starting at the stem bolt: if that is too near or too far, too low or two high then it is simply a question of having enough adjustment left. My problem is that (AFAIK) I don't have enough backward adjustment (height adjustment is no problem if I use a stem raiser).

Am I right in this?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

horizon wrote:...........One reason I gave BB (plumb drop on horizontal TT) to stem bolt was that going forward from that point is simply a comfort/performance adjustment - let's say a 10 mm stem. Everything to do with bars and stem is starting at the stem bolt: if that is too near or too far, too low or two high then it is simply a question of having enough adjustment left. My problem is that (AFAIK) I don't have enough backward adjustment (height adjustment is no problem if I use a stem raiser).

Am I right in this?

If we want to compare riders' actual riding position, I think we need BBD to handgrip for rider reach.
Frame reach is normally measured from the top of the head tube horizontally to a plumbline through the BB; this is a dimension solely governed by the frame.
BB to expander bolt(?) will be almost the same as frame reach, (less because the head tube isn't vertical) and as you say, stem bolt to handgrip is almost totally at the rider's discretion, unless (for example) stems don't come long enough, or drop bars short enough reach.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bum bon dent measuring to and from is OK if theres bum bone dents in the saddle,many modern saddles dont dent,my favoured two makes of saddle which I've been riding for a few years are a an example on no dent saddles
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

When I've got a moment I'll put my VK and Brooks back on (has dent!) and that will give me my optimum set back to measure more accurately.

Just to clarify: I'm not actually looking to find my ideal set up. I know what I want and what feels right. The problem is that I cannot get it (saddle set back, equivalent short reach) without buying a new frame. The reason I haven't taken the plunge on a frame (or bike attached to it!) is that (a) I cannot be sure it will do the trick and (b) I want to be sure that the problem is the frame and not my riding position/style.

My body is as it is but even over a day's ride, things change (even going up hill for example and pulling on the bars).
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

horizon wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
My take is, and I know this hurts, if one needs specific measurements then the frame has to follow. I.e. a "shorter" frame may imply a lower flexibility of the body, so one has to think how much a good health is worth. Is not just about using the shortest and tallest stem one can find.

Gattonero: can you say a bit more as I'm not sure I follow. What should one do/not do?

There seems to be a general belief that "the higher the bars, the more comfortable the bike it is", and this implies the belief that "a comfortable bicycle" would resolve the body problems.
My opinion is to sort out the problems in the first place, and not masking them with a cycling position that won't show where the problem is. Of course, there are people who have some serious issues, and this requires even more attention; but judging how many people do ride road bikes with very short stems and high bars, I cannot help in thinking if back/posture problems are such a widespread problem even within active people? Or more likely, the bike does not fit the rider?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Gattonero wrote:My opinion is to sort out the problems in the first place, and not masking them with a cycling position that won't show where the problem is.

I agree with that a lot and thanks for clarifying.

But (and here's the but :D ), I don't think i have a back/posture/reach issue. I've artificially moved the saddle back further than it is designed to do using a VK adaptor. That was in order to accommodate my legs and make my position on the saddle right (remember, I moved the saddle back not forwards). Of course that has knock-on effects on reach - as it would do I presume on your own bike if you moved your saddle back 4 cm.

Having said that, if my back was as flat as an IKEA flat-pack then presumably I could move my saddle back as far as I wanted and I would still reach the bars. But that isn't the deal on a touring bike - a fairly relaxed position should be obtainable.

I'm acutely aware that it might be my own riding position/style/posture that is causing this problem but the geometry of reach is not very forgiving. Having said that, I'm going to go on looking at all the factors.