Anyone like their Garmin Edge 25?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Eton Rifle

Re: Anyone like their Garmin Edge 25?

Post by Eton Rifle »

Thanks, Mick. That makes sense.
busb

Post by busb »

I turned off Auto Pause & the av speed has dropped further as I expected it to. Thursday morning's ride to work:
15.71 - moving av (Cyclemeter app with Stop detection on & GPS only, 7.26 miles)
15.2 - moving av (Edge 25 with auto pause off & GPS only, 7.21 miles)
Good run - hardly any stops - very unusual!
This Friday evening return:
13.67 av Cyclemeter 7.26 miles
12.4 av Edge 25 7.23 miles
With Auto pause enabled, you start the Edge, start riding & it goes straight into paused mode then exits pause fairly slowly. Pauses almost immediately but resumes slowly, in other words. It renders the Edge 25 as being pretty useless for me. It's got so much going for it such as scrolling incoming txt messages, great size & weight, the quarter turn mounting just works wonderfully, it looks good, the display is clear but is let down by its stop detection! I did presume Garmin's bigger units had better stop detection but bought the Edge 25 to see the data whilst riding. The now obsolete Wahoo (pre Element model) dummy display unit was appallingly useless (no rechargeable battery & 10" to update from the phone app!
Added:
My Edge 25 only pauses below ~8 mph - never at other times. It can take ages to initially lock but does stay locked. Cyclemeter on my iPhone 6s does occasionally loose lock therefore the whole ride's data is lost.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you really care you might try a wheel sensor. I think that tends to trigger better (at least it does on a Edge 520). I think the 25 will accept a wheel sensor.
busb

Post by busb »

gloomyandy wrote:If you really care you might try a wheel sensor. I think that tends to trigger better (at least it does on a Edge 520). I think the 25 will accept a wheel sensor.

My Giant Defy has a built-in cadence & wheel sensor that the Edge would (in theory at least) work with. I ended up removing the spoke magnet 'cos it completely screwed the distances! To repeat: the Edge 20/25 have limited settings compared to their bigger models. The Edge 20/25 could be so much better if Garmin cared!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

My partner has a 25 and a cadence/wheel sensor seems to work fine with that. My understanding is that it performs some sort of calibration when you first connect it. I think with the 25 they have tried to make it "simple/easy to use" but I agree that they have probably gone too far and that many settings which are missing would be useful. In an attempt to automate various functions (like wheel size calibration and by the sound of it auto-pause) they have created problems that are hard/impossible to fix, because they have removed the manual options.

There is a similar problem with syncing the device using Bluetooth. In theory if the automatic sync works it is great. Unfortunately if it doesn't it can be a real pain to persuade the app/device to try and sync it again.
busb

Post by busb »

gloomyandy wrote:My partner has a 25 and a cadence/wheel sensor seems to work fine with that. My understanding is that it performs some sort of calibration when you first connect it. I think with the 25 they have tried to make it "simple/easy to use" but I agree that they have probably gone too far and that many settings which are missing would be useful. In an attempt to automate various functions (like wheel size calibration and by the sound of it auto-pause) they have created problems that are hard/impossible to fix, because they have removed the manual options.

There is a similar problem with syncing the device using Bluetooth. In theory if the automatic sync works it is great. Unfortunately if it doesn't it can be a real pain to persuade the app/device to try and sync it again.

Bluetooth syncing works most of the time otherwise I manually do so in Garmin Connect without too much faffing (for me at least!). The cadence sensing works fine but self-calibration of wheel size presumably from GPS data? Any further info on this please? I guess the point would be for when GPS loses lock rather than to enhance accuracy of GPS itself. My phone loses GPS lock but have not noticed my Edge doing so.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure I saw a description of what happens when you first attach a wheel sensor. It said something like you need to attach the sensor and then ride for a mile or so, during which time the 25 uses the GPS readings to calculate the wheel size. I'm not sure if it ever recalculates it after that, or if there is some way to force it to do it again, probably another example of Garmin trying to be too clever!
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Just took my Edge 25 for a walk as it was easier than trying to cycle slowly. Auto pause came on at about 2mph and auto resume at about 3mph. Speeds beneath 2mph appear not to be displayed it showed either 2mph or 0.0mph.
I've always felt that the speed reads low under dense tree cover but it's not normally bad enough to auto pause.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My 25 works well. Whenever I've compared it to my other GPS devices the average speed and total distance is spot on. I have a fitbit surge which distance is always within 0.01 miles using the auto stop on the Garmin and manual stop on the fitbit. Average speed is similar.

Once or twice I've used cyclestreets and they both match.that app. I've walked with my.fitbit on and viewranger tracking the walk. Both are close.

Now I had issues with my first one bought for £79 at aldi. 6 months later they sold one for £45 and that one works well. Even worked well with the Wahoo speed and cadence sensor until the sensor failed.

It's a basic unit with basic features. If you want more features or better performance then it's perhaps not the unit for you. At £45 I'm perfectly happy with mine.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

Can routes be uploaded to the Garmin 25 and navigation to a breadcrumb trail?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A late reply ans another question...

Yes you can load routes to a Garmin 25. In fact I cannot get mine to work unless I select a route before I set off. Is there a way to make it work without a route selected?

I also paid £45 for one from Aldi but I am beginning to think that it was a waste of money.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well I bought one just before Christmas and for the money it's okay, I only got one to save using my edge 800 all the time. Distance and average speed are not that much out from strata. I like the screen where it counts your mileage down and that bar moves across at the top of the screen. It's all different from when I was a kid and I saved up to buy a Huret speedometer from Halfords in Halesowen!!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Having lost 2 Edge Touring's (theft and stupidity) i bought an Edge 25 ..... love it. Does all i want it to ..... for the money ..... total bargain.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rotavator wrote:A late reply ans another question...

Yes you can load routes to a Garmin 25. In fact I cannot get mine to work unless I select a route before I set off. Is there a way to make it work without a route selected?
Press the top RH button and then select Start.
Mick F. Cornwall
busb

Post by busb »

rotavator wrote:A late reply ans another question...

I also paid £45 for one from Aldi but I am beginning to think that it was a waste of money.

Wow! Paid full price for mine last Spring - bought from 700 in Windsor who were not in the slightest bit interested in giving a CTC discount in any shape of form!

AFAIK, the Edge 25 only does a breadcrumb trail of a route you have downloaded, it doesn't show your route whilst cycling otherwise. Garmin Connect will show the route after sync'ing.

IMO, the Edge would be perfect if it didn't badly understate average mileage (well, nearly perfect - its battery life between charges isn't great). I'm pretty certain it could be sorted with a firmware upgrade if Garmin put their mind to it but they are reported as being rather unresponsive to customer input.