Campag and Shimano Compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robwa10

Campag and Shimano Compatibility

Post by robwa10 »

I am building up a road training bike and I'm considering buying a Campag Mirage Compact chainset because I live in Sheffield and don't fancy a triple for the hills. I'm curious though as to whether I can run that chainset with a shimano sora 8spd cassette, rear mech and sti shifters that I already have? Are Campag and Shimano unmixable on any level or is it just certain parts?
Thanks
peanut

Post by peanut »

try a search on this forum this subject has been covered to death . check Sheldon and Branford bikes websites
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's all mixable.

Have a shufti at http://ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
Mick F. Cornwall
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

Thanks for the help. New to the site so still learning how to search and find what I want. Thought it had already been covered.
peanut

Post by peanut »

thats a good link Mick . Should be a sticky by rights. Its probably one of the most regularly covered topic areas and the most difficult to advise on. I get exasperated sometimes when folk do not use the basic search facilities or even do a google search first. I feel they are using others to do their legwork for them because they are too bone idle to do it themselves.
PH

Post by PH »

peanut wrote:thats a good link Mick . Should be a sticky by rights. Its probably one of the most regularly covered topic areas and the most difficult to advise on. I get exasperated sometimes when folk do not use the basic search facilities or even do a google search first. I feel they are using others to do their legwork for them because they are too bone idle to do it themselves.

It's a forum, nobody has to read or post on it, the thread title was clear enough, if they make you so angry they're easy to avoid.
I opened this thread hoping someone had a constructive answer. That excellent (though quite old) article doesn’t cover this specific question and I wouldn't know how to get it from the poor search facility. I just tried "chain width compatibility" got over 2,000 hits with nothing relevant on the first three pages.
robwa10 is asking if he can mix a Campag compact chainset (presumably 10 speed) with a Shimano 8 speed rear end. I'd guess that an 8 speed chain would need to be used and that it'd be OK on the 10 speed chainset, but what would be the best mech? That seems a sensible question, I don't think it's been well covered. If it were me, I’d like to hear of others using such a set up before spending my hard earned. Their experience would add to the vast knowledge base of this forum, making it a better place.
ddddddd

Post by ddddddd »

peanut wrote:I get exasperated sometimes when folk do not use the basic search facilities or even do a google search first. I feel they are using others to do their legwork for them because they are too bone idle to do it themselves.
Hear, Hear.

Just to add:
The search facility, as noted above, is absolutely rubbish. Someone very helpfully suggested
using Google and appending your search with,
site:forum.ctc.org.uk
Now that advice, really should be in a Sticky post or prominently displayed somewhere.

Now, in checking that out, I've done some legwork anyway, and I don't want to be all negative, so here it is
robwa10 wrote:I am building up a road training bike and I'm considering buying a Campag Mirage Compact chainset because I live in Sheffield and don't fancy a triple for the hills. I'm curious though as to whether I can run that chainset with a shimano sora 8spd cassette, rear mech and sti shifters that I already have? Are Campag and Shimano unmixable on any level or is it just certain parts?
Thanks

You might get some rubbing of the front mech and/or Less use of the smaller cogs at the back with the smaller chainring.
So, a provisional okay. The front STI may not work exactly right without changing the front mech.
Here's a partially similar question.