Rack ... How much !!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Re: Rack ... How much !!

Post by JohnW »

landsurfer wrote:[quote="esuhl]

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my £40 aluminium rack that can support 50kg.[/quote]

+1 .... :)[/quote]

+ another 1.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

The point about the Tailfin rack is that is can be quickly and securely fitted to a bike lacking mounting points for a conventional rear rack, without needing bodges like P clips.

Having said that, all the other critcisms seem valid. Its looks are a matter of taste; I'm in the 'fugly' camp.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Okay it's not cheap and it's not the prettiest of things but it's aimed at a particular market and as far as I can see it does that. It isn't aimed at cyclo tourists per se but to ultralight travellers or people like myself who occasionally want/need to use their road bike for a trip. I put together a take off system using Tubus Ti rack and various adapters to do the same job.

Ugly it might be but you do get 4 colours to choose from!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

foxyrider wrote:Ugly it might be but you do get 4 colours to choose from!

Three of which are murdered out.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There's another phrase for the words I learned on here thread
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

landsurfer wrote:https://www.tailfin.cc/products/t1-carbon-pannier-bike-rack

£399 for a rack !!! Even with panniers !!!

:shock: :shock:

It doesn't bother me.
Guarantee 100% I'd never buy one, but some people would spend a lot more for a hanbdbag, so... :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

foxyrider wrote:I put together a take off system using Tubus Ti rack and various adapters to do the same job.

I have done the same with my Touring Bike. It's a Spa Steel Touring.
I have removed the front mudguard leaving the mudguard fasteners in place and removed the rear Tubus rack and mudguard, again replacing all frame fasteners into the frame. The result is a superb day bike for long and short rides, and, if off "on - tour" it will take 20 minutes (stress free, because i know where all the bits are .. :D ) to refit the guards and rack.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

foxyrider wrote:I put together a take off system using Tubus Ti rack and various adapters to do the same job.

Any chance of a photograph for those who are looking to build their own quick release rear rack?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

landsurfer wrote:I have removed the front mudguard leaving the mudguard fasteners in place and removed the rear Tubus rack and mudguard, again replacing all frame fasteners into the frame. The result is a superb day bike for long and short rides, and, if off "on - tour" it will take 20 minutes (stress free, because i know where all the bits are .. :D ) to refit the guards and rack.

If you have any photos i'd really like to see them : )
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I am sure it will appeal to those who must "just have" a combined FM radio and coat hanger from the Sunday supplements. In my design engineering days this would have been known as an "idiot gadget".
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I think you are all being unfair> I think its a neat design and neat solution to a problem. Price is a bit high for me, but it is probably low volumes at the minute.

Points I think are good
1 its a minimalist design
2 It is specifically deigned to mount to a carbon bike with no eyelets/bolt holes and with no damage/ modification to the bike
3 its very quick to mount and remove.
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:I think you are all being unfair> I think its a neat design and neat solution to a problem. Price is a bit high for me, but it is probably low volumes at the minute.

Points I think are good
2 It is specifically deigned to mount to a carbon bike with no eyelets/bolt holes and with no damage/ modification to the bike

But how stable,surely the most important feature of any rack to carry two medium to large panniers.IMO it doesnt look like a safe and competent design,and costs a bomb.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

reohn2 wrote:
NUKe wrote:I think you are all being unfair> I think its a neat design and neat solution to a problem. Price is a bit high for me, but it is probably low volumes at the minute.

Points I think are good

But how stable,surely the most important feature of any rack to carry two medium to large panniers.IMO it doesnt look like a safe and competent design,and costs a bomb.

I would say it looks fairly rigid, that's one of the plusses of carbon fibre, remember the Boardman bike , its only UCI rules that dictate a bike needs a double triangle, but only time and someone owning one could tell us that
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Points I think are good

I would say it looks fairly rigid, that's one of the plusses of carbon fibre, remember the Boardman bike , its only UCI rules that dictate a bike needs a double triangle, but only time and someone owning one could tell us that

At that price there'll be long wait to find outif it does the trick,how many people tour of a CF race bike?
Aren't the pannier fixings a wee bit too close together?
Don't you have to buy extra arms to nable the fitting standard panniers,and won't those cantilevered arms be under a lot of strain where they fit to the rack stub arms?
What's to stop the pannier bags going into the wheel,especially on rough roads or when hitting a pothole and causing problems?
Is the wheel still be quick release with the rack fitted?
How long is the warranty period ?

It all seems to me like someone has looked at a conventional rack,thrown it out the window,started from scratch and come up with a worse design.Of course I could be wrong..... ......but I don't think I am.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

If i had a top spec carbon bike , not ....
and i wanted to commute i would put that money into something that eyelets even if it was second hand .My current nicer weather commuter is an alloy boardman , it has eyelets for lower rack mounts and using a seatpost collar with mount point it makes a nice fast commuter.
For mudgaurds i use crud mk 2sas i had them in stock from my old bike .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."