Airnimal Chameleon advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mercianman

Airnimal Chameleon advice

Post by mercianman »

I have just bought a second hand Chameleon, to leave at my caravan up in the lakes, it has a good gear range so I am quite looking forward to getting out on in once I have managed to loose the required pounds, but I have a question about it. On putting it together there appears to be some slack between what I can best describe as the plastic bung and the rest of the frame, hopefully chameleon owners will know what I mean. This is the bit that you unclip by hand to split the frame Is this the norm, or is there some way of adjusting this to remove this movement.
dragonrider

Re: Airnimal Chameleon advice

Post by dragonrider »

My wife and I have owned four Chameleons and rebuilt 2 of them so I have a bit of knowledge that I hope is useful. The “slack” you refer to is supposed to be there as it is part of the rear suspension movement. It does no harm and as soon as you sit on the bike the suspension firms up against the elastomer block.

By the way you can get different softer elastomer blocks - see the Airnimal website. I recommend the Black hardest one as anything else gives too much bounce when pedalling hard.

I have had numerous sqeaks and groans from Chameleons. Don’t rush out to buy a new bottom bracket- it is very unlikely to be the cause. First of all tighten up the clamp bolt at the hinge at the bottom of the seat pillar, not just the clamp but the Allen bolt as well. Secondly tighten up the bolt that holds the metal clip you release to fold the bike, this second one caused a couple of years of angst riding with creak/squeak.

Final tip, if you are riding in the Lakes with decent hills change the rear cassette to one with a big cog of 30 teeth. Most derailleurs fitted to Chameleons will take that cassette size without other changes but get a new chain fitted as well. That combined with the smaller wheel diameter will make hiills much nicer.

You will love your Chameleon. If I want a fun lively ride it is often the bike I choose.
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

I should also add, and I hope this is allowed, that Andy the bike builder and mechanic at Spa Cycles in Harrogate really knows his stuff on Chameleons. So if you are stuck ....
mercianman

Post by mercianman »

Thanks for that great response, I think that puts my mind at rest, just got to get these pounds off now. what is it like out of the saddle, or is that to be avoided?
Si

Post by Si »

For me, the medium elasometer was best. I like a bit of suspension to protect my nethers. I found no issues with it when pedalling smoothly, but if youve big dteep hills to get over i can see why you might like a harder one for stomping out the saddle. And to ssve theexpense of buying a new, harder one, just put a hose clip round the one you have ;-)
Si

Post by Si »

what is it like out of the saddle, or is that to be avoided

i do most of my climbing out the saddle and the airnimal is fine for this. In fact i found that it does climb surprisingly well, i used it for several hilly audaxes and it didnt syop me keeping up with the pack.
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

The elastomer block does depend on rider weight. I suppose at 80kg I am on the heavier end so if you are about that weight go for black, the Airnimal website should guide you. Or ring them up, I found them very helpful for odd questions.