BB creak?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Fraz101

BB creak?

Post by Fraz101 »

I have had this annoying creak from bottom bracket area for a while.

https://youtu.be/LE-Aj6_JuWI

I have spent a bit of money recently renewing various parts on it and want to try and diagnose and cure this issue.

The problem I also have is the crank arms are seized solid onto the BB shafts. So I’m unable to try and clean the area.

It only creaks when pedalling whilst I’m on the bike. (Not when on my stand) and if I put a lot of pressure on the pedals when cycling it actually goes away.

The bottom bracket bearing doesn’t feel rough and there is no free play in the crank arms etc.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Last edited by Fraz101 on 24 Feb 2018, 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Re: BB creak?

Post by mercalia »

well I had some thing similar ( just one click) so I took the cranks off the bb ( I had already concluded it wasnt the bb itself nor the cranks too loose on the bb) and the rings from the cranks and lubed the rings/cranks interfaces with grease, then put back on and tightened them - problem solved in my case. You might try tightening the rings on the cranks? you might also like to look at the pedals maybe the bearings are worn or need lubing or replacing, do you have a spare pair of pedals you can try?

so to summarise it could be
a) bb is worn
b) cranks too lose on bb
c) the rings on the cranks interface ( my problem)
d) the pedals
e) could conceivably be one or more of the teeth on the rings are catching the chain? do you get it on all the front gears. if you do might not then be the ring interface problem I had as in my case was only the middle ring.
f) is the cassette really worn? when you put pressure on the pedals with a semi tightend chain, do you get movement due to slack of chain on cassette?
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

A bit of a simplistic answer I know but have you tried tightening up the back wheel quick release. Surprisingly there have been a number of occasions when people riding with me have a creak/click cured by a tightening up the rear QR, and I include myself in that!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Does it make the same noise on the other two chainrings ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

It happens in all gears.

I've had the wheel off countless times in past few weeks and tightened up securely.

Things that have been replaced over the past few weeks-

New freewheel
Re greased rear wheel bearings
2 new rear spokes
New chain.
New v brake calipers and pads
New rear brake cable
New rear derailleur cable.

The noise has been there long before all this work was carried out, and still remains
softlips

Post by softlips »

Try some different pedals!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Are you sure it’s not just the crank hitting the loose end of the derailleur cable and bouncing it against the frame? That’s what it most sounds like in the video, although sound recordings can be deceptive. If so, it would go away on another chainring because the derailleur and loose end would be at another angle.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Samuel D wrote:Are you sure it’s not just the crank hitting the loose end of the derailleur cable and bouncing it against the frame? That’s what it most sounds like in the video, although sound recordings can be deceptive. If so, it would go away on another chainring because the derailleur and loose end would be at another angle.

It doesn't go away on any of the 3 chain rings
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Well it might not, depending on where the cable is. I’m just trying to reconcile the sound with your description that it goes away when pedalling harder. That’s a mighty unusual creak, although if pedalling harder means going faster, wind noise might drown out the creak.

Have you gone for a test ride and looked down to see it’s not something hitting the cable?
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Samuel D wrote:Well it might not, depending on where the cable is. I’m just trying to reconcile the sound with your description that it goes away when pedalling harder. That’s a mighty unusual creak, although if pedalling harder means going faster, wind noise might drown out the creak.

Have you gone for a test ride and looked down to see it’s not something hitting the cable?

Definitely not being drowned out by wind!

If I go uphill for example, I have to exert more pressure on the pedals and the noise goes away, that said if I pedal extremely lightly,or test it on a stand the noise isn't there.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

creaks can come from (literally) anywhere.

A creak from the saddle/seatpin area can manifest itself in the same way as you describe.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Brucey wrote:creaks can come from (literally) anywhere.

A creak from the saddle/seatpin area can manifest itself in the same way as you describe.

cheers

I cycled for a while tonight off the seat but it still remained.

Am I right in thinking it is most likely the BB bearing?

Any tips on how,to get the seized crank arms off?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Fraz101 wrote:
Am I right in thinking it is most likely the BB bearing?

it is just one of several candidates. Given that the cranks won't come off easily, it makes sense to exhaust all the other possibilities first.

If the cranks and/or BB are really seized, then it may be a case of destructive removal.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Fraz101 wrote:The problem I also have is the crank arms are seized solid onto the BB shafts

What have you tried so far? Did you use a crank extractor? Have you stripped the internal threads in both crank arms?
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

fausto99 wrote:
Fraz101 wrote:The problem I also have is the crank arms are seized solid onto the BB shafts

What have you tried so far? Did you use a crank extractor? Have you stripped the internal threads in both crank arms?

Don't have a crank extractor.

Threads are fine.

I've soaked them in penetrating fluid and smacked the arms with the biggest hammer I have, they haven't moved a mm