BB creak?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: BB creak?

Post by Brucey »

don't go smacking your cranks with a hammer, you will just break things.

Read this

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/crank-removal-and-installation-three-piece

and use a crank extractor.

It is potentially helpful to tip a kettle full of boiling water over the crank immediately (i.e. just a few seconds) before you attempt to remove the crank.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

Given the "hit it with a hammer" statement I'd suggest the OP gets down to the LBS and asks the nice chap there to get the cranks off wit the proper tool before damage is done. AND buy a crank extractor (and learn how to use it) - no money on ebay from China.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

robgul wrote:Given the "hit it with a hammer" statement I'd suggest the OP gets down to the LBS and asks the nice chap there to get the cranks off wit the proper tool before damage is done. AND buy a crank extractor (and learn how to use it) - no money on ebay from China.

Rob

^
this

Once there, ask the BB to be removed as well, sometimes you can get noise from old BB's where the bearings may "feel fine". The less variables you have, the better it is.
And on the last matter, we assume the pedals are ok, their threads greased, the chainring bolts clean&tight, etc., yes?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Gattonero wrote:
robgul wrote:Given the "hit it with a hammer" statement I'd suggest the OP gets down to the LBS and asks the nice chap there to get the cranks off wit the proper tool before damage is done. AND buy a crank extractor (and learn how to use it) - no money on ebay from China.

Rob

^
this

Once there, ask the BB to be removed as well, sometimes you can get noise from old BB's where the bearings may "feel fine". The less variables you have, the better it is.
And on the last matter, we assume the pedals are ok, their threads greased, the chainring bolts clean&tight, etc., yes?

Issue resolved

I removed,cleaned and re greased the pedal bearings and all is well

Thanks for all replies

Oh and not a LBS needed!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:don't go smacking your cranks with a hammer, you will just break things.
My first bike with a square taper BB, I didn't have an extractor, so used a mallet successfully on a few occasions. Both cranks.

I would say therefore ............ "don't go smacking your cranks with a hammer, you COULD just break things".
Mick F. Cornwall
softlips

Post by softlips »

Brucey wrote:creaks can come from (literally) anywhere.

A creak from the saddle/seatpin area can manifest itself in the same way as you describe.

cheers

Or pedals in my case.