Shimano 105 5700 hub availability.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TooManyBikes

Shimano 105 5700 hub availability.

Post by TooManyBikes »

Howdoo all,
I'm after a new black hub for a rear wheel I want to build which will be using a 9 speed cassette, so a 105/5800 current hub is not really needed as they can take up to 11 speed, at the expense of more spoke dish on the drive side it seems. (I'd like to keep it 105 to match the front wheel already built)
are the earlier 5700 hubs now obsolete, as they seem hard to get hold of new, am I just as well buying a 5800 incarnation of the hub? will there be that much difference in the finished wheel with less width between the flanges, or is it worth seeking out a 5700 with the advantage of slightly wider spaced flanges, as the wheel doesn't need the 11 speed capability?

Michael.
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.
Brucey

Re: Shimano 105 5700 hub availability.

Post by Brucey »

I think you are correct, an 11s hub such as FH-5800 will build into a (needlessly) weaker wheel if you intend to use 8/9/10s only. I can't find anyone selling FH-5700 right now, maybe they are sold out everywhere. There are a few suggestions;

1) buy FH-5800 and shorten the freehub body so that it will accept the 10s cassette without the wheel having a bad dish. Respace the axle to suit. NB this will only work if you can grind the end of the freehub body accurately and if there are enough threads remaining for the lockring.

2) buy a different road rear hub. FH-3500 will work well and is available for cheap right now (£13.99 at SJS)

3) Buy a MTB hub, and shorten the axle/respace from 135 OLN to 130 OLN.

4) Buy FH-5800, fit a different freehub body, and respace to suit. NB I am not 100% sure this will give the improvement you desire; I have not tried it.

Only the first and last of these gives you a hub with '105' writ upon it. Any of the hub respacing tasks may require that you replace or machine the cone / spacer/locknut on the RHS. Few FH-5800 parts are the same as FH-5700 ones

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-5800-3719A.pdf

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I chose an FH-5700 rather than an FH-5800 for the same reason. Seeing how quickly 8/9/10-speed hubs are going out of stock, I’m more and more inclined to stock up on the stuff that I like before it attracts eBay premiums. You can find almost anything on eBay, sometimes with a month or two of waiting, but the prices are often steep.

After a bit of searching I found a black Shimano FH-5700 for £31.88 on Bike Discount; however it’s 32-hole and “bulk packaging” (you can probably guess what that means). Shipping from Germany will add to that price. Bank charges may add a bit more again.

More determined searching may unearth a 36-hole model somewhere if that’s what you want, but it will probably be more expensive.
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

Thanks for the replies
Brucey.. That Sora 3500 hub seems a bargain from SJS, will the freehub be of the same quality as the one on a 105 hub?
I like the fact that the 105's seem to be well sealed against wet weather conditions which looks like a feature worth having.

I hadn't found the Bike Discount place when I was searching, so thanks Samuel D. Thinking of getting one from them as even with shipping it's not a bad price
I have a 36 hole rim lined up for the build, but as they only stock the 105/5700 32 hole hubs, I can change plans and get a 32 H rim, as rims are much easier to get hold of and the 36 I have will get used for something eventually.
Cheers
Michael.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

TooManyBikes wrote:Brucey.. That Sora 3500 hub seems a bargain from SJS, will the freehub be of the same quality as the one on a 105 hub?
I like the fact that the 105's seem to be well sealed against wet weather conditions which looks like a feature worth having....

see http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-3500-3417.pdf

the freehub body is Y3E0 98060 which is used in several other shimano hubs and wheelsets, and has a seal on the reverse face.

The bearings are not finished to the same standard as more expensive shimano hubs, but if they are correctly greased and set up they will work well IME, and only get smoother with use if set up correctly. If you leave a shimano hub (almost any model) with the standard lubricant in it and don't adjust it correctly, there is a pretty good chance that the hub will fail in about a year of all weather use. The seals on FH-3500 are not quite as good as on some posher shimano hubs but they are 'good enough' if you lubricate the hub correctly.

I recommend using gear oil inside the freehub body (just add it to the RH bearing cavity, axle out and spin the wheel whilst holding the freehub body, you will hear when it has made it into the pawl cavity) and a decent grease (eg finish line ) in the main bearings. Alternatively use SFG throughout; SFG is arguably better because it will keep the seal lips wetted.

Adjust the hub bearings so that there is a little free play that just disappears when the QR is tightened.

There seems to an element of pot luck in all shimano freehubs; some come with a little free play in, others not so much.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BTW shimano (unlike a lot of other hub manufacturers, who laser engrave through the anodised layer, thus allowing corrosion) print the decals on the hub barrel. You can remove the ink they use with a suitable solvent (eg acetone) or by polishing with an abrasive polish such as solvol autosol. Using the latter, you can mask off the areas you don't want to remove using insulation tape, and polish away the stuff you want removed.

By a freakish coincidence if you are worried by the look of the thing you can make FH-3500 appear to better 'match' a 105 front hub by simply removing the second half of the 'R' and the 'A' in SORA . This leaves a passable (but inverted) "105" logo.... :shock:

cheers
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

Thanks for the links to the exploded diagrams, and the freehub oiling advice.
which Finish Line grease would you reccommend for cup and cone bearings, this stuff?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lubricants/ ... e/?geoc=US
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think we've found the criminal mastermind behind those S01 hubs flooding the market!
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think we've found the criminal mastermind behind those S01 hubs flooding the market!

:lol:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

TooManyBikes wrote:I like the fact that the 105's seem to be well sealed against wet weather conditions which looks like a feature worth having.

I have the FH-5700 and have given my bicycle a hot power wash (at a car wash) on several occasions, not to mention the endless miles of rain, and the seals do an impressive job.

However, comparing these docs:

FH-3500
http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-3500-3417.pdf

FH-4600
http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-4600-3149.pdf

FH-5700
http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-5700-3006A.pdf

… the sealing arrangements look the same and the rubber contact seals even share part numbers. The FH-4600 and FH-5700 also share a freehub body, at least according to one of those docs (but not the other? Odd). The Sora freehub body is obviously different since the interface with the hub is different.

The Tiagra is super-cheap at Bike Discount, but this a silver-only hub. The Sora is black.

Brucey wrote:I recommend using gear oil inside the freehub body (just add it to the RH bearing cavity, axle out and spin the wheel whilst holding the freehub body, you will hear when it has made it into the pawl cavity)

Could I simply dribble this oil onto the threads inside the freehub body (with the rubber bearing seal removed) while holding the hub at a convenient angle for gravity to do its work, or does this require a syringe or something?

Brucey wrote:By a freakish coincidence if you are worried by the look of the thing you can make FH-3500 appear to better 'match' a 105 front hub by simply removing the second half of the 'R' and the 'A' in SORA . This leaves a passable (but inverted) "105" logo.... :shock:

LOL!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

TooManyBikes wrote:Thanks for the links to the exploded diagrams, and the freehub oiling advice.
which Finish Line grease would you reccommend for cup and cone bearings, this stuff?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lubricants/ ... e/?geoc=US

that is good stuff IME, but if you use it neat, in wet weather I would recommend regreasing the hubs at six month intervals; the seal lips may not be wetted with grease otherwise (which means that they won't seal, and the lips will wear). If you add some gear oil to this (in situ) then you make your own SFG. Usually this happens automatically on the RHS (if you oil the freehub body as described) but it is a good idea to do similarly on the LHS too. A grease with more anti-corrosion additives in it is to be preferred if there is abundant road salt. A hub may go a year or two on a good fill of SFG.

FWIW a similar approach works well in cables; a smear of the FL grease on the inner cable, plus a fairly generous amount of oil as the cable is fitted, and you usually have a free-running cable that will last longer than normal; the thickener in the grease helps slow down the rate at which the oil comes out of the end of the housing. A caveat to this is that some oils attack some cable liners, making them swell and soften. I have not seen this using the FL grease to date, or with a decent quality synthetic gear oil, but such are the wide variety of possible combinations of materials I can't guarantee that this won't ever happen.

Samuel D wrote:Could I simply dribble this oil onto the threads inside the freehub body (with the rubber bearing seal removed) while holding the hub at a convenient angle for gravity to do its work, or does this require a syringe or something?

The easiest way is to remove the axle and the balls, leaving the seal in situ. Just make a puddle of oil where the balls would normally sit (with the wheel vertical) hold the freehub body, and spin the wheel (in the forwards direction). After a minute or two the oil will have worked its way into the freehub mechanism. With a new hub this works well; with a used hub the oil may be slow to penetrate if there is much #2 grease in the gap through which the oil must pass. In this case you may find that using some GT85 first may help clear the blockage.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just for fun I polished a spare FH-3500 hubshell as described

before
before

after
after

cheers
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You are Private Walker aicmfp :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bonefishblues wrote:You are Private Walker aicmfp :D

"Alwight taffy?" " straight up, I got this one for sorting a sheik out wiv a tasty bird..."
"we're aul doomed....."
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:You are Private Walker aicmfp :D

"Alwight taffy?" " straight up, I got these genuine Shimano topper the range hubs dead cheap like, just been polished and all"

More like :lol: