New steel frame - should I block the vent holes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve

New steel frame - should I block the vent holes?

Post by Steve »

I have a brand new steel frame (Spa 631 Audax Special), with several vent holes. Instinct tells me to block them up now, before building the bike up, to keep water out of the tubes, though I also understand that might seal any water in, should it ever find its way in. What is the informed opinion on this and if I should block them, what could I use to do so?
Thanks
PS this will be my all-weather all-year bike so will get a lot of exposure to road salt.
And yes I have already been liberal with the Frame Saver
Last edited by Steve on 27 Feb 2018, 3:39pm, edited 3 times in total.
NUKe

Re: New steel frame - should I block the vent holes?

Post by NUKe »

Blocking the holes, is not a good idea, Spa put them there for a reason, water finds its way in I would leave them open.

It might be more useful to either oil the inside of the frame or add a rust inhibitor.
NUKe

Post by fossala »

NUKe wrote:Blocking the holes, is not a good idea, Spa put them there for a reason, water finds its way in I would leave them open.

It might be more useful to either oil the inside of the frame or add a rust inhibitor.

Spa didn't put them there. They're vent holes to let the gasses escape from welding. Some framebuilders like Dave Yates fill them.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the ones high up can let the water in and the ones low down can let the water out again (except perhaps the ones at the bottom of the seat stays, which can leave a small puddle below them).

With A-head equipped frames water can fairly easily get into the space between the steerer and the head tube. I am of a mind that such frames ought to have a drain hole drilled in the BB shell, so that any water that gets into the frame can escape.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:Blocking the holes, is not a good idea, Spa put them there for a reason, water finds its way in I would leave them open.
My Mercian Vincitore frame was built for me in October 1986. Still going strong.

No vent holes at all.
All blocked up as from brand new.

The seat tube and down tube plus both chainstays are open into the BB. Other ends are blank.
Fork blades are blank both ends.
Seatstays are blank both ends.
There's a 1mm hole in the head tube into the top tube. Other end is blank.
Mick F. Cornwall