Charging a high capacity battery from a dynamo?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Charging a high capacity battery from a dynamo?

Post by Sweep »

ConRAD wrote:... going back to the initial question:

tommydog wrote:... does anyone know options for charging a high capacity battery (above 20000mAh) from a hub dynamo? ...

... yes I know, there are no options !!!

Sorry conrad, though I fear that you may be my old physics master descended to Italy, I don't understand. Please explain.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

tommydog wrote:
Sweep wrote:
I am considering getting a second Anker 20100 powercore,

as in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCor ... B00VJSGT2A

looking around it seems that Anker powerbanks with half the capacity cost not an awful lot less.

Are you currently charging this from a dynamo and do you know it's minimum charging specifications? I looked for these but could not find them.

Currently charging it from mains power via frjendly pubs etc.
Sweep
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

ConRAD wrote:... going back to the initial question:

tommydog wrote:... does anyone know options for charging a high capacity battery (above 20000mAh) from a hub dynamo? ...

... yes I know, there are no options !!!

Care to elaborate?
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:....

Picking up the comparison table already posted somewhere else (and to be accepted of course with the rule of the thumb), as you can see I selected four different power-packs, the first two chargeable via 5V-usb, and the other two via higher voltage power supplies (possibly also with adequate photovoltaic panels).
Looking now to the first one, as you can see it ideally seems to require something around 5V-2A ... that meaning something around 10W !!
Since I know very well that from an e-werk (or things alike) youl'll never get more that 3W at 20km/h, the immediate consequence if you decide to connect an Anker 20100 to an e-werk will be its immediate voltage drop to the point that the charging process will never start.
Based on my experience many devices supposed to be charged via 5V-usb will never charge once the voltage drops below 4.75V.
So for your Anker you must keep relying on pubs or on hidden mains often available in real unsuspectable corners.

tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Thanks for reposting that. I wonder if I would have any more luck with something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-20000 ... op?ie=UTF8

It uses 3.7v cells and has a capacity of 20000mAh / 74Wh
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

I found this company who offer a custom battery service:

http://www.batteryspace.com

They have some interesting products and sell a number of batteries that go in the water bottle cage.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

ConRAD wrote:
Sweep wrote:....

Picking up the comparison table already posted somewhere else (and to be accepted of course with the rule of the thumb), as you can see I selected four different power-packs, the first two chargeable via 5V-usb, and the other two via higher voltage power supplies (possibly also with adequate photovoltaic panels).
Looking now to the first one, as you can see it ideally seems to require something around 5V-2A ... that meaning something around 10W !!
Since I know very well that from an e-werk (or things alike) youl'll never get more that 3W at 20km/h

So it seems that most of the higher capacity power packs have charging specifications that make charging from a dynamo unrealistic. With this in mind, any idea what the highest capacity power pack you can buy off the shelf which could realistically be charged from a dynamo? I say off the shelf rather than custom made stuff.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

It’s really a long story. At the beginning I’ve been relying exclusively on the small cache-battery offered by B&M (461A /1400mAh/6.72Wh) in combination with their e-werk: was OK so far, though the battery capacity was really too small !
Then I passed to a Variotek 320 (5000mAh/18.5Wh) setting the e-werk output to 5.6V (a bit too high IMO, to the point that I think I've damaged the Variotek !!).
Finally I passed to a Zzing 2700mAh/16.2Wh (that works as AC/DC converter as well) in combination with a Powergorilla (21000mAh/77Wh) that I can charge from mains or a 20Wp photovoltaic panel.

... but, going back to your question
tommydog wrote:... any idea what the highest capacity power pack ... which could realistically be charged from a dynamo?

... I woundn’t go beyond 3000mAh

ps: have you an idea why B&M never offered something more appealing that their battery mod. 461A/1400mAh/6.72Wh ??
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

ConRAD wrote:

On a second note that looks a nice case. What case is it and is it fully waterproof?

As for the offerings by B&M, I guess it makes business sense, as the majority of consumers just want to charge a phone while they are cycling on a day / weekend trip. I guess the majority of their market is not tourers who go on extended trips and need to charge many different devices.

But in my case I would jump at the chance of buying a high capacity power pack that could be charged from the mains and topped up with a dynamo. Better still something that is waterproof and can easily be removed from the bike (for theft prevention) whenever I stop.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

tommydog wrote:... what case is it and is it fully waterproof? ...

.. I'd rather say rainproof (ortlieb) ... being "waterproof" a somehow more technical term as per IP/IEC and NEMA/ANSI classification.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Which Ortlieb is it?
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

tommydog wrote:Which Ortlieb is it?

... when I bought it, it was listed as "Orlieb Ultimate 5 Plus Handlebar Bag size L"
NB: all internal arrangement has been designed by myself, you can look at some details HERE
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

ConRAD wrote:NB: all internal arrangement has been designed by myself, you can look at some details HERE

Thanks for the info, thats why I asked as I had a suspicion the internals were homemade, as I don't remember seeing anything from Ortlieb like that. It looks really good - I am thinking of making something similar myself.

I can't tell from the pictures how you assembled this. Did you glue or bolt things in place? Also what material did you use for it?
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

tommydog wrote:... did you glue or bolt things in place? Also what material did you use for it?

3mm angular/plain PVC sheet from local Brico, cut and glued only (definitely very strong)
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Hi,

I haven't read through all the threads so apologies if I repeat anything. I have been doing this for a while now, my setup is Shimano dynamo - which is routed into an Ortlieb 6 E bag (the wiring is built into the mount). this is then wired into busch & muller e-werk which is in turn wired into a Rav Power 26000 Mah battery both stored and protected withing the Ortlieb E bag.

Some points: the RAV power supports passthrough charging, so with this setup I am constantly charging the batter and at the same time the outputs are plugged into my Sat Nav and Camera. I have a USB front and rear light which if need be get topped up by popping them on the battery overnight. MAKE SURE YOU BUY A BATTERY THAT SUPPORTS PASSTHROUGH CHARGING!!!! :)

I have heard the arguments that this is less efficient, in fact I could not believe how upset some people can get over this so I will make the same point again, I start off with a 26000 Mah battery fully charged that pretty much negates any losses from the inneficiancy of the store discharge cycle through the battery.

So we could wax lyrical all day long about pro's and cons but I have actually used this setup and can't remember the last time I had to charge the battery, so works for me!

my front light is the Trelock LS950 which by the way on low power goes for 47 hrs and full power 8hrs with stages in between!

Here is a blog post on my setup:

http://thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... r-bag.html

and a review on the RAV powerbank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFFvIKDlU8

Hope this is of some help,

on a separate note I have a biologic reecharge to giveaway for free, I have offered it twice but no one wants to pay for postage lol!!! I also have the cache battery from an e-werk free to a good home just be nice and cover the postage!

Newt!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk