advice needed - upgrading to my first carbon road bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
HMB

advice needed - upgrading to my first carbon road bike

Post by HMB »

Help! I am deep in to testing out various road bikes as I want to upgrade from my standard entry level Boardman. I'm mainly using it for a daily commute of 13 miles each way and want something that goes a bit faster.

My issue is whether to go for a second hand bike (from a reputed supplier who offers warranty even on second hand bikes) versus a new bike (on a cycle to work scheme).

So far, I have test ridden a second hand Giant defy advance pro 2 (2016 - my first with disc brakes which seemed a bit more powerful than what I'm used to) and a Mekk Potenza 3G SL6.5 (2013). Both were a really obvious step or two up from what I'm currently using and really good value (both around £1K, for full carbon frame).

However, I have the option of a Kona Zing deluxe for around the same price but on a cycle to work scheme (so effectively a 40% discount - meaning around £600) which is brand new (2014 model). I've also got a test ride booked at a local Evans on a Bianchi and a Canondale just to get more bikes into the mix (although a bit wary about buying from the high street).

I'm so confused about what matters - they all seem to ride really nicely to me and give me the lighter weight that I'm looking for but I don't really understand what else is important in terms of tech spec.

Any advice on how to approach this most welcome!
reohn2

Re: advice needed - upgrading to my first carbon road bike

Post by reohn2 »

The only thing that'll make you go faster is you,the bike is inert,yes a lighter bike will climb faster but only appreciably if the the hills are long .
But if your real reason is to buy a new bike dont let me stand in your way :wink:

BTW if you're thinking of carbon fibre exclusively read the warranty on the frame and forks very carefully.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

Given the discussion on another thread, it would be interesting to know if the disc brakes will give you the lighter bike that you are looking for.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont waste your money.

and dont buy a 2nd hand carbon anything bike - They should have an expiry date on the sales label

if your bike is to be a workhorse, "cycle to work scheme" ,as you seem to suggest then forget carbon I think it wont stand the knocks and scrapes
mig

Post by mig »

for how long have you ridden that bike for your commute?
HMB

Post by HMB »

I've been riding the boardman since about 2013 but not for as long a journey. It cost about £500 and is a bit of a slug.

But, from what I'm seeing, I should be looking at something more robust for commuting.
peetee

Post by peetee »

As far as I am concerned, carbon is not an upgrade.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
HMB

Post by HMB »

What is a good upgrade then? Any thoughts? Or do I just stick with the Boardman workhorse?
mig

Post by mig »

i'd have the bike serviced and change the tyres for something more supple now that the weather (should) improve.

then ride that all spring and summer and see if that does what you want it to.

if not then i'd change the wheels for a decent handbuilt set.

that'll work.

nb. the bike is well set up for you i take it in terms of saddle height, reach etc? i see many people commuting on bikes with the seat height far too low, knees around their ears as they pedal. that alone would make you labour in terms of 'speed.'
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

'Commute' can mean many different things to different people and their requirements will end up very different.

ie: one mans commute means carrying a pair of panniers every day with a laptop and full office clothes, lunch, shoes and he will do it 5 days a week in rain, hail or sunshine and the bike gets left in a shared rack with all the knocks and scrapes that come with it.

The next may be carrying nothing, have a locker at work for clothes and only ride 2 days a week when the weather is nice and is able to take the bike inside where it is safe.

For the former something robust, able to carry a load, with full guards and sturdy tyres is ideal, where as the latter may be happy on a lightweight road racing bike. The most surprising thing about that is that the bike probably won't make much difference to how long it takes them, once you factor in traffic/route etc.

When I ride my heavy hubgeared, racked 'n pannier-ed 26inch wheeled town bike to work vs a sporty road bike it's a little slower for sure, but overall journey time difference over 10miles is probably less than 5 mins on average.

What are your needs in a commuter?
HMB

Post by HMB »

Thanks so far - this is all really helpful! Feeling like I need a bit of a rethink!

In terms of fit, I'm pretty sure it's set up correctly - we have an in-house service here that did it for me and my ears are definitely higher than my knees!

In terms of what I want, it's probably 3-4 days a week, come rain, shine, snow, wind. And carrying clothes and lunch in a rucksack.

I should also add that I borrowed my friend's Bianchi via Nerone 2013 and that did seem to knock 7 minutes off with no extra effort required from me.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

HMB wrote:What is a good upgrade then? Any thoughts? Or do I just stick with the Boardman workhorse?

mig's advice is sound IMHO.

the chances are that if your current bike is feeling like 'a bit of a slug' it probably needs attention, rather than changing outright. For example a poorly adjusted headset or hubs or even just cheap soft tyres can make any bike feel dreadful.

If you don't understand why your current bike feels bad, spending a lot on a new bike will just delay the onset of similar problems IME; the same thing will happen to the new bike.....

A bike that is 1kg lighter will cost a lot of money but won't necessarily be any faster, even on quite a hilly route.

For commuting purposes most folk trade away outright speed (esp in tyres and wheels) for durability. I'd be tempted to keep a spare set of wheels (stronger, heavier, shod with heavier tyres) for use when the weather is bad or it is dark, and a nicer set for use when the weather is good and you are less likely to go into a pothole.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I should also add that I borrowed my friend's Bianchi via Nerone 2013 and that did seem to knock 7 minutes off with no extra effort required from me.

Ah, the old 'extrapolation from limited datapoints' ;-)

I don't mean to be disparaging but are you sure it was the bike?

This kind of quote pops up all the time in casual comparisons, many external physical things can make a big difference, wind direction, temperature, traffic etc. Then you have the smaller bike related ones like tyres/pressures, better lubed drivetrain, postition*, and then the psychological stuff like trying harder either deliberately or subconsciously because you think the other bike should be quicker, or something less tangible like it being 'new and exciting' so you subconsciously put a bit more effort in.

However... having said that 7 mins is both ages, and no time at all depending on how you look at it. How much does you commute vary by at the moment on the existing bike? I know mine can vary by more than this simply due to weather, traffic, junctions, and my own performance!

Is 7 mins off your commute going to change your life? Is it worth it for the potential extra fragility or expense of replacing components?

I don't want to offer specific advice either way, as for some people the feeling of the ride is as much a factor as anything and some people just love riding a nippy road bike, but it is important that you properly think about what you want out of a commuter, and what is actually important to you.

I even swap between bikes from time to time because sometimes I just want to ride something different for a day or two, and that's OK too! :-D

*this is the BIG one that most people forget, a road bike is often quicker simply due to a more aggressive and aerodynamic position, then tyres...the other stuff like weight etc. is right down the bottom of the list.
mig

Post by mig »

if it's speed you require then you need a TUE.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've heard it said that a good aluminium bike is better than a cheap carbon bike. I ride an Alu Trek Domane 2.0 and have no complaints. I would be looking at a Cannondale CAAD framed bike, as good as you can afford. You'll find you get a better groupset and the Alu bike will be no heavier than the cheaper carbon ones.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com