Rear wheel bearings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mercalia

Rear wheel bearings

Post by mercalia »

Am I right in thinking the drive side bearings of a cassette-freewheel wheel are built into the freewheel and not the hub? I need some time to lube mine: an easy job?
Brucey

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by Brucey »

if it is a shimano cassette hub it is nearly always built such that the 'cup' for the RHS hub bearing is built into the end of the freehub body. This means that only the LH cup cannot (easily) be renewed in the event of problems with the hub.

To lube the hub bearings, undo the LH cone and locknut, and with draw the axle far enough that the LH balls can come out of the hub. Fish them out with a magnetised screwdriver. Then withdraw the axle completely and retrieve all the RH balls. Check the RH cone is very snug against the RH locknut.

If the hub has effective seals I suggest using a SFG to lube the hub bearings. If this works its way into the freehub body it won't do any harm. If the freehub body feels at all draggy or dry, lube it well with oil before reassembling the hub.

If you don't have any SFG you can mix the grease you do have with gear oil and make your own roughly equivalent mixture. Don't be shy with it, the more the merrier is a good policy; any excess that comes out (typically in the first few rides) can be wiped up promptly and it won't go too far in the meantime if you check regularly.

Set the bearings such that there is a little free play that just disappears as the QR is tightened.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was thinking of using some Castrol molybendium grease or Lithium grease I have?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

moly grease will be fine.

BTW it is a good idea to run some oil into the freehub body before you rebuild the main bearings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:Am I right in thinking the drive side bearings of a cassette-freewheel wheel are built into the freewheel and not the hub? I need some time to lube mine: an easy job?

One word of advice: some Shimano hubs have a metal shield to cover the Rh bearings. If you want to remove it, take extra care or better do not remove it at all: the lit can be easily deformed and will rub against the seals that are on the RH axle cone nut. A rag moved with a short allen-key would clean well with the shield left in position.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...