Marathon Supreme wired

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Marathon Supreme wired

Postby PH » 11 Mar 2018, 4:17pm

I've used folding Marathon Supremes in several sizes for the last few years, versions 1 & 2, and have been very pleased with them though they're a bit of the pricey side for general duties. Spa have on offer the wired version in a size I use (700 x 32) for considerably less £££
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s142p32 ... reme-wired

I didn't even know there was a wired version, I can't find it listed on Schwalbe's website. I wondering if there is much difference to the folding, or if anyone has any experience of them.
Thanks

Brucey

Re: Marathon Supreme wired

Postby Brucey » 11 Mar 2018, 5:04pm

they will be a bit heavier but otherwise they should be similar to the folding version.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ray

Postby Ray » 11 Mar 2018, 6:53pm

I have a pair of 700x28 wired Supremes, and a pair of 70x32 folding. Very impressed with both sizes/types. Unless you need to fold them (say for taking a backup on tour), the cheaper wired version is absolutely fine; a tad heavier, yes, but not important outside competition.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

PH

Postby PH » 11 Mar 2018, 7:41pm

Thanks both. I couldn't see any reason they'd be any different other than a little heavier, but it's worth getting the reassurance, after all they last well so I'll be living with them for a lot of miles.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 13 Mar 2018, 10:41am

That looks like the old version on SPA website.

Out of interest do the wired have tougher sidewalls? I've been running folding Supremes for a few years and like them, but am always worried about their fragile sidewalls. Ruined an otherwise good tyre by sliding down a pothole - part of sidewall removed.

mullinsm

Postby mullinsm » 13 Mar 2018, 11:04am

simonhill wrote:That looks like the old version on SPA website.

Out of interest do the wired have tougher sidewalls? I've been running folding Supremes for a few years and like them, but am always worried about their fragile sidewalls. Ruined an otherwise good tyre by sliding down a pothole - part of sidewall removed.

I used to use Supremes but switched to the cheaper, standard tyre with Greenguard after tearing a hole in one on a towpath in France a couple of years ago. They roll well but I wouldn't trust them on anything but good tarmac after that. The standard tyre is a much tougher thing altogether and I've had no problems with them even on gravel roads in NZ.

I did find a use for the Supreme though - I cut a strip out of it which I now carry as a patch instead of a whole replacement tyre when touring.

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Mar 2018, 11:09am

simonhill wrote:That looks like the old version on SPA website.

I suspect you are just facing the traditional dilemma. To go for a tyre with a tough sidewall but a terrible ride quality, or one with a less tough sidewall but a nicer ride.