Fit mudguard to non threaded chain stay bridge

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sun ra

Fit mudguard to non threaded chain stay bridge

Post by sun ra »

I'm fitting a new set of aluminium mudguards to my Mercian but the chain stay bridge does not have a threaded boss. The previous set of SKS mud guards attached using a u shaped metal clip. I wonder if there is some type of plastic alternative I could purchase to attach these Honjo guards to the chain stay bridge?
Bmblbzzz

Re: Fit mudguard to non threaded chain stay bridge

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Perhaps simplest might be to repurpose the clip from the old mudguards?

It is slightly annoying when manufacturers assume there will be a threaded hole in the bridge, not to mention those that think there will be one in the underside of the fork!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

A zip tie will work.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gaz

Post by gaz »

P-Clip, or I can pop an SKS fitting in the post to you if it will help.
DSCN1884.JPG
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

Something like this maybe. Could be a bit hit and miss, though, as the profile might not be a good match for your particular guards.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/3 ... idge-each/

Or even better for your guards, perhaps: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/g ... ke-bridge/
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

whatever you do, if you drill aluminium Honjo mudguards, fit a big washer (with rubber or leather padding) to the inside of the mudguards, else it won't be too long before they crack.

It isn't a bad idea to fit a second set of stays to the rear mudguard too, or to mount the mudguard onto the underside of a rack, if you have one fitted.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sun ra

Post by sun ra »

gaz wrote:P-Clip, or I can pop an SKS fitting in the post to you if it will help.
DSCN1884.JPG

That's a kind offer. Thanks.

I think I'll look to source a suitably sized P-Clip.
sun ra

Post by sun ra »

Brucey wrote:whatever you do, if you drill aluminium Honjo mudguards, fit a big washer (with rubber or leather padding) to the inside of the mudguards, else it won't be too long before they crack.

It isn't a bad idea to fit a second set of stays to the rear mudguard too, or to mount the mudguard onto the underside of a rack, if you have one fitted.

cheers

Starting to wonder if I should fit GB guards instead as they're steel instead of alu and most likely a little more robust. Thanks for the tip.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd make exactly the same suggestions for GB mudguards too. The GB mounting kits contain large washers as suggested, and can be bought as spare parts.

Note also that the stresses on the seatstay bridge mount are always greater if you have a compact frame with low seat stays.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~