Custom Build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The utility cyclist

Re: Custom Build

Post by The utility cyclist »

They gave detailed specs then ignored the brief, the actual spec is irrelevant.
I ask my butcher if he can get xx joint and trim it how I like it, he says yes, no problem. He then comes back with not just a different trim but a different joint/cut of meat.
Whichever cut of meat/trim I asked for and he agreed up front as being able to do/obtain makes no difference to the outcome.
In this instance the bike shop had the spec and didn't follow it for the quote
Sorry but you're simply wrong, what is asked for makes no difference, either you can or you can't or are unwilling.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Please take a moment to re-read my post. I am trying to say that there is a difference between agreeing to a custom build (before knowing the spec) and agreeing to a custom spec up front.

To suggest a deviation from the spec in the former case if what is requested is unachievable or unwise would be not only acceptable, but perhaps even good service. In the latter case it is of course totally unacceptable behaviour from any reputable supplier.

The OP is sufficiently ambiguous that at this point we do not know what was agreed and in what order, hence a request for a little more info on the specifics.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not really clear about what happened. If five different places all assembled a wrong bike, there are a lot of unwanted bikes somewhere. OTOH, if they all said they would build a bike to spec and then backed off when they saw the detailed spec - that's a bit different. I wonder if the OP will ever come back to add a bit of detail.

amediasatex posted much the same thing while I was typing.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

...have to admit that every bike i've ever owned has become custom built, by me. That's the great thing about bikes... even if you start with a bicycle you've bought of the peg, bits from other bicycles will generally fit it.. and all you need is a bit of mechanical sympathy..to turn it from a bicycle which was designed to fit 'mythical consumer type A' to yourself... an actual person with your own expectations and requirements. If no one wants to build your dream bike... you can actually just build it yourself... its not hard.. otherwise i myself wouldn't have be able to do it..