Custom Build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Salty John

Custom Build

Post by Salty John »

I have enquired at no less than 5 bike suppliers about custom building a bike. I have been quite clear that I am prepared to pay a decent amount for this. All of them said they could do it but ignored the detailed specs I supplied - gear ratios etc and wanted to just get a kit to fit a specific frame. The outcome was that the this was nowhere near the spec I originally provided. Two questions. Why do they say they can do it and then go dead in the water? If there's no profit in it why not just say so. Does anyone know of any supplier that can actually supply a genuine custom build?
Brucey

Re: Custom Build

Post by Brucey »

what suppliers have you tried already? What is your specification?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes there are many, but my learned friend above asks a very relevant question.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I’m not sure why you have met with problems, but I think Spa Cycles would get close to what you want, provided it can reasonably be done. Your specification interests me too. When it comes to bicycles, ‘custom’ has a custom meaning to every customer. Is the frame an off-the-peg model? Any particular reason you’re not building this bicycle yourself?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Salty John wrote:I have enquired at no less than 5 bike suppliers about custom building a bike. I have been quite clear that I am prepared to pay a decent amount for this. All of them said they could do it but ignored the detailed specs I supplied - gear ratios etc and wanted to just get a kit to fit a specific frame. The outcome was that the this was nowhere near the spec I originally provided. Two questions. Why do they say they can do it and then go dead in the water? If there's no profit in it why not just say so. Does anyone know of any supplier that can actually supply a genuine custom build?

Because humans are stupid, have ulterior motives all too often can't come out and say something straight.
I asked a very well known wheel builder to build me a set of wheels, I had my own hubs that I wanted to use (high end jobs, light, stiff and beautiful) and he basically kept on trying to push rims I did not want (Pacenti) and couldn't get back to me with a figure as to cost.
I kept hold of the hubs and last year asked another builder who is reasonably well known though only going for about 5-6 years, ignored what I asked for (a build on a mismatched pair of carbon rims he was selling via ebay) and tried to push his highest cost hubs that were £474/pair :roll:, even tried to make out he was doing me a favour with the price of the rims even though as a mismatched pair he'd have a job selling them anyway and was banging on about weight limit yadda yadda, email conversation ended there.
As you said if it's too much aggro just reply, sorry can't/won't do it, like you was happy to pay whatever the cost of the labour was and the spec I wanted.
I rang a double glazing company for a quote some years ago, came round, measured up and then started with the sell, I'd already told him he had 30 minutes from arriving and that calls to his boss for special deals/prices was not gonna happen, he ignored it so I sent him packing, I can't be dealing with BS/flannel.
Last edited by Graham on 16 Mar 2018, 9:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: family-friendly edit
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The utility cyclist wrote:I rang a double glazing company for a quote some years ago, came round, measured up and then started with the sell, I'd already told him he had 30 minutes from arriving and that calls to his boss for special deals/prices was not gonna happen, he ignored it so I sent him packing, I can't be dealing with BS/flannel.

OT I know, but I had experiences similar with double glazing, except one day I just walking into a supplier, said "here's my spec, can you give a price", and they ran prints off the computer, all with (reasonable) priced IIRC on average £250 a window (9 yrs ago). One of the best companies I've ever dealt with (very refreshing in that industry!) and clearly too good because they went bust. If you are near Norfolk I'll happily build your wheels (or tell you I'm not willing to!) Anyone dealing with customer should be transparent - why wouldn't you be?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

The ability of suppliers to customise a bike is restrained by the availability of parts, which are are standardised and which can be assembled in a way that will a) fit and b) work (eg shifters, cassettes, chainrings etc), unless of course you have an infinite budget!
The utility cyclist

fastpedaller wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:I rang a double glazing company for a quote some years ago, came round, measured up and then started with the sell, I'd already told him he had 30 minutes from arriving and that calls to his boss for special deals/prices was not gonna happen, he ignored it so I sent him packing, I can't be dealing with BS/flannel.

OT I know, but I had experiences similar with double glazing, except one day I just walking into a supplier, said "here's my spec, can you give a price", and they ran prints off the computer, all with (reasonable) priced IIRC on average £250 a window (9 yrs ago). One of the best companies I've ever dealt with (very refreshing in that industry!) and clearly too good because they went bust. If you are near Norfolk I'll happily build your wheels (or tell you I'm not willing to!) Anyone dealing with customer should be transparent - why wouldn't you be?

thanks for the offer but I ended up selling the hubs :cry: (still regretting it!) bought some mid range wheels that were 50% off so the hubs virtually paid for them in totality (yes it was a good three figure sum). Still think I sold them too cheap as you'll not find another NOS pair on the planet.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

What do you mean by supplier? If you mean a mass manufacturer like Specialized or Boardman then I am not surprised. The place for custom service is your local bike shop who, within reason, should be able to get just about any part and assemble just about anything. The alternative is of course to do it yourself. Your need for your own preference of gearing etc is precisely why I could never buy a complete bike. I'd have to change the gearing, saddle and pedals as a minimum.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Salty John wrote:I have enquired at no less than 5 bike suppliers about custom building a bike. I have been quite clear that I am prepared to pay a decent amount for this. All of them said they could do it but ignored the detailed specs I supplied - gear ratios etc and wanted to just get a kit to fit a specific frame. The outcome was that the this was nowhere near the spec I originally provided. Two questions. Why do they say they can do it and then go dead in the water? If there's no profit in it why not just say so. Does anyone know of any supplier that can actually supply a genuine custom build?

Ought to be the reason why many shops are closing! :?

I got my "everyday" frame made by a shop in London, they've done exactly what I wanted. Have to say that it wasn't anything out of this world, all the specs and measurements were within what's "normal" to build a frame, but the good thing is that I wasn't pushed to get this or that because they wanted to.
Commerce is a two-way thing, customers and sellers have to talk and understand each other.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Still no idea what the OP's spec is to know what the issue that shops may have.

Every one of my bikes is a 'custom' build, some started out as off the peg that have been customised to my requirements whilst others are frame up builds.

Buying a 'stock' bike and converting it is sometimes the most economic route to get what you want. On the other hand you have to be realistic with your expectations, very few shops these days do frame building or frame finishing. It is also becoming increasingly difficult to find experienced staff who know the tricks regarding 'Frankengearing' etc - so many shops have staff without experience of anything more than a handful of years old!

So come on OP, what is so special about your spec, we can't help if we don't know.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

So come on OP, what is so special about your spec

This is very pertinent as there can be a big difference between a shop/mechanic who simply ignores your spec to shift some cheap stock, and one who is trying (tactfully but perhaps not successfully) to say "what you've asked for is either not going to work or a very bad idea, how about this instead...."

IME sometimes some people aren't willing to hear the latter, but then it's up to the shop to decide whether to refuse a bad job, or just do it anyway and risk the headache and bad rep that may come from it later.

There's also the other alternative that since times are hard they don't want to turn work away but might perhaps be out of their depth or comfort zone and not willing to admit it to you, it does happen.

Are you asking for something particularly unusual to have had similar situation 5 times?

Anyway OP, if your requirements are achievable then I know at least one shop locally to me who would do it, in fact it's exactly the kind of thing he seems to like doing as he's a one-man workshop with parts and accessories setup, stocks consumables and fancy parts etc. but doesn't sell off-the-peg bikes if you know what I mean. He's a very good mechanic and normally willing to take on anything.

Not sure if he'd be interested if you're not local though... where are you and who have you tried already?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP needs to return to their thread first, methinks :)
The utility cyclist

The spec is clearly irrelevant,they've already stated that the shops have agreed and then turned around and not done what was asked despite offering to recompense them for their time and for the relevant parts which again the shops have said they will do/can get beforehand. If they'e said they can do it then it's a simple matter of changing their minds or just trying to flog something they want to sell instead of keeping to spec, what that spec is isn't important if it was already agreed in advance something they would/could do.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

The spec is clearly irrelevant

I disagree, as it might give us some hint as to why they have ignored or deviated from the request.

what that spec is isn't important if it was already agreed in advance something they would/could do.

Ah, but we don't know for sure that is the case, the OP said:

All of them said they could do it but ignored the detailed specs I supplied

It's not 100% clear from that if they agreed to 'a custom build' before seeing the specs and then deviated, or if they agreed to 'a specific spec' and then deviated.

That's two different situations, and without clarity from the OP we're still just guessing. It does seem odd the 5 different shops* would all agree a spec and then disappoint the OP in such a manner, unless he's been very unlucky and found 5 poor shops in succession, that's not impossible though...

* you know what, I've made an assumption there too, OP said suppliers. not shops. So we don't know who he has contacted.