Bike Fitting - London

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ebgt

Bike Fitting - London

Post by ebgt »

Hi

Has anyone here had a bike "fitted" professionally? If so, did you think it was worth the £?

And if so, do you know of a reputable bike fitting service (preferably in North London)?

Thanks
Cyril Haearn

Re: Bike Fitting - London

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are already some threads about bike fitting
I think it is a waste of money
531colin on these fora posted a lot about it, how you can do it yourself. I think that is better, spend some time, understand and do it yourself instead of paying an expert
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are already some threads about bike fitting
I think it is a waste of money
531colin on these fora posted a lot about it, how you can do it yourself. I think that is better, spend some time, understand and do it yourself instead of paying an expert

Well, it's always the same thing: do what you think you need when it makes sense :wink:
The average Joe riding 5 miles for commuting is unlikely to receive benefits from a professional fitting, while someone that either has got some body problems (little flexibility, back problems, uneven length of legs/arms, and so on...) or is looking to improve the fitting in a certain way, if she/he's got the cash why not taking advice from a reputable expert?
I find offensive when professionals are seen with suspicion at best, if not mocked for the job they do.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Gattonero wrote:]

Well, it's always the same thing: do what you think you need when it makes sense :wink:
The average Joe riding 5 miles for commuting is unlikely to receive benefits from a professional fitting, while someone that either has got some body problems (little flexibility, back problems, uneven length of legs/arms, and so on...) or is looking to improve the fitting in a certain way, if she/he's got the cash why not taking advice from a reputable expert?
I find offensive when professionals are seen with suspicion at best, if not mocked for the job they do.

Therein lies the rub.

For some it’s in their genes to view professionals with suspicion. Probably reared on
Ex is a has been &
Spurt is a drip under pressure.

There are times in your life when consulting a professional will be the right thing to do. There are other times when studying a subject and being prepared for experimentation, failure as well as success will work just as well.

Last night I was looking at local planning applications. I viewed five all submitted by 'professionals'. Three of them had been submitted incorrectly and were on hold until the professional sent the correct information. I wonder how many clients are informed of their errors.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Paulatic wrote:

Therein lies the rub.

For some it’s in their genes to view professionals with suspicion. Probably reared on
Ex is a has been &

There are times in your life when consulting a professional will be the right thing to do. There are other times when studying a subject and being prepared for experimentation, failure as well as success will work just as well.

Last night I was looking at local planning applications. I viewed five all submitted by 'professionals'. Three of them had been submitted incorrectly and were on hold until the professional sent the correct information. I wonder how many clients are informed of their errors.

Same goes for a lawyer, a doctor, your local bakery...
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[/quote]

A couple of years ago (maybe longer) Cycling magazine sent a staff member to four different bike fitters.
One would have expected the outcomes to be broadly similar but there were significant differences in some settings. I seem to remember suggested saddle height varied by 25mm. The person being fitted eventually reverted to his original position.
I'm not mocking the bike fitters merely making an observation - although if you claim to be an expert that is what you should be.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Are you experiencing problems with your current position?

I'm fortunate that I can achieve a comfortable fit on most bikes within my size range. The methods that I use are not a million miles away from those described by by 531colin here. The advantage of the DIY approach is that you will gain a much better appreciation of how the various adjustments affect your body, and when problems arise you will have a better understanding of how to resolve them.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Gattonero wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Therein lies the rub.

Ex is a has been &

Same goes for a lawyer, a doctor, your local bakery...

Yes that is exactly the point I was trying to make regarding professionals when I said there are times when an individual will use a professional.
From your three examples
I’ve used
a) begrudgingly
b) less and less and with less and less confidence
c) I need to use when I’m away from home.

I was avoiding mentioning bike fitters as I’ve never used one. Norman H DIY approach is exactly the same as my sentiments.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

ANTONISH wrote:..
I'm not mocking the bike fitters merely making an observation - although if you claim to be an expert that is what you should be.

Not saying you were :) but it seems you didn't get my point.

I am not a "bike-fitter" (nver said I was) nor I'm playing the Devil's Advocate, I just wanted to remark my view that Forums should be a place to exchange opinions, ideas, facts, aiming to a positive and constructive way, or even a trivial one. But I don't see the point when opinions are expressed without respect for other's work, and often without having proof or experience first-hand.

Obviuosly, this is a "cyclo-touring" forum, so it may look a bit out of place to ask for something so specific, and often subject to a lot of hype. But I'd like to see it in a positive way.
There's a chap here that to me is genuinely asking for advice.
Has anyone here had a bike "fitted" professionally? If so, did you think it was worth the £?

To me it sounds like a request for first-hand experience with no innuendo to anything wrong. Also, see below:
And if so, do you know of a reputable bike fitting service (preferably in North London)

So it may be a guy who wants to hear more than two bells regarding some facts. Again, I see it as looking for genuine reccomandation, not for an opinion about the latest marketing hype.