Gore windstopper washing confusion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Thornyone

Gore windstopper washing confusion

Post by Thornyone »

I distinctly remember that years ago my Berghaus Gore-Tex jackets specified using washing powder and NOT liquid detergent. I was therefore rather surprised that the instructions on my recently-purchased Gore Bike Wear Windstopper jacket very specifically say to use liquid, NOT powder. I am also slightly concerned, because I have already washed one of these jackets possibly a couple of times with powder some while ago :( . Can anyone recommend a specific liquid from experience? I see that there are some fairly exotic things on the market, though Gore suggest that an “ordinary” one will suffice, unfortunately without naming a brand.
thirdcrank

Re: Gore windstopper washing confusion

Post by thirdcrank »

I have and have had an embarrassing number of windstopper garments and washing them never seems to have caused problems. I use liquid detergent of the type sold as being suitable for wool.

The only problems I've had has been when it's been a drop-lining membrane - loose between the layers of a garment, when it can come adrift eg at the shoulders or tear eg when I repeatedly pulled a hat down over my lugs (not Nervex or Prugnat, let me say :wink: )
boblo

Post by boblo »

Presumably your Boghouse Gore-Tex was/is a hardshell and Windstopper is softshell. They're not the same. The fabrics are made by the same company but there the similarity ends.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Wash a Windstopper jacket in a non-biological liquid suitable for delicates. I use Persil Silk & Wool. Give it extra rinse as traces of detergent make it susceptible to wetting.

Windstopper is quite different fro Gore-Tex waterproof jackets.
I should coco.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

boblo wrote:Presumably your Boghouse Gore-Tex was/is a hardshell and Windstopper is softshell. They're not the same. The fabrics are made by the same company but there the similarity ends.

I feel a thread coming on. The Gore membranes can be used with different fabrics. Lower case "softshell" seems to be applied willy-nilly to just about any garment more flexible than plate armour. Upper case "Softshell" is a Gore trademark.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Valbrona wrote:Wash a Windstopper jacket in a non-biological liquid suitable for delicates. I use Persil Silk & Wool. Give it extra rinse as traces of detergent make it susceptible to wetting.

Aye, I've used my Gore softshells long distance touring and washed them out in whatever is/was available including hand soap or washing up liquid. I don't bother trying to keep them showerproof, they're just a good windproof stretchy top.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Valbrona wrote:Wash a Windstopper jacket in a non-biological liquid suitable for delicates. I use Persil Silk & Wool. Give it extra rinse as traces of detergent make it susceptible to wetting.

Thanks for the tip.