Another Campagnolo/Shimano mix question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxyrider

Another Campagnolo/Shimano mix question

Post by foxyrider »

I'm having big issues with the freehub bearings in my Kinesis CX rear wheel, latest have lasted under 500km! As I run Campag sourcing a suitable replacement wheel at short notice (I need something for a mini tour next week!) is nigh on impossible.

However I have a brand new Shimano splined wheel sitting doing nothing and I seem to recall a vague reference that my 11 speed shifters will work on a 10 speed Shimano cassette.

Before I go buying a cassette can anyone confirm this is the case?

Shifters are Athena 11 speed carbon triple with a Record Ti mid rear mech if that makes any difference.

Cheers
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Re: Another Campagnolo/Shimano mix question

Post by cycleruk »

According to the figures there is a 0.1mm difference in sprocket pitch between Shimano 10 and Campag' 11 speed.
By the time you have gone from one end of the cassette to the other then 9 clicks (10 speed) there will be at most 0.9mm error.
So with good setting up there should be no problem.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... s/shimergo

The same goes for 11 speed Shimano being also 0.1mm difference to Campag' but then you won't get a Shimano 11 cassette on a Shimano 10 speed freehub.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/ ... Dimensions
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PH

Post by PH »

cycleruk wrote:According to the figures there is a 0.1mm difference in sprocket pitch between Shimano 10 and Campag' 11 speed.
By the time you have gone from one end of the cassette to the other then 9 clicks (10 speed) there will be at most 0.9mm error.

Would that mean that by setting it up on a middle sprocket, it would only be out by half that at either end?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

PH wrote:
cycleruk wrote:According to the figures there is a 0.1mm difference in sprocket pitch between Shimano 10 and Campag' 11 speed.

Would that mean that by setting it up on a middle sprocket, it would only be out by half that at either end?

In theory Yes!
The top jockey wheel of the rear derailleur has slight sideways play and this allows very slight misalignment of sprockets.
Any chance you can borrow a wheel to satisfy yourself it will work ?
I have run a 10 speed Shimano in place of 10 speed Campag' and that also worked fine even with 0.2mm pitch error.
The only real problem with it was the Campag' mech' was very close to the spokes when on the large sprocket so had to be trimmed carefully.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Checking the new wheel earlier it already has a cassette fitted so there's no cost other than time. Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like a job for the morning :D

Just thought, I might need to change the chain I suppose, will try as is first though.

Will advise how I get on.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you will also need to adjust the rear mech carefully; if you are running 11s shifters and a 10s cassette, shifting into the spokes is a real possibility....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As 11 speeds are "closer" and you have 11 speed stuff why not shove an 11 speed Shimano cassette on. Despite the comment above they can be made to work by taking about 1 mm off each spline with a file to move the whole lot inward. Got 4 wheels working that now. All fine. Forget which ones are that and which are 11 speed as standard.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:you will also need to adjust the rear mech carefully; if you are running 11s shifters and a 10s cassette, shifting into the spokes is a real possibility....

cheers

Yep, to be honest it's not been working spot on since a shop service in January anyway - goodness knows what they actually did!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattsccm wrote:As 11 speeds are "closer" and you have 11 speed stuff why not shove an 11 speed Shimano cassette on. Despite the comment above they can be made to work by taking about 1 mm off each spline with a file to move the whole lot inward. Got 4 wheels working that now. All fine. Forget which ones are that and which are 11 speed as standard.

Sounds like a whole lot of work for no real gain - I have a ten speed cassette already on the wheel and it's only intended to be a stop gap until I can get the original sorted out - quick and cheap is for me! :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just an update.

I've fitted the Shimano wheel and after running through everything in the workstand decided to make no adjustments before a road test today. It changed to every sprocket with no over/under run at either end, the double shift between gears 5 + 6.

Out on the road shifting was quite sweet and if anything quieter than usual but that might be due to the lack of other noises!

No doubt I could take the time to readjust everything to lose the mid range half change but as it's only meant to be a stop gap measure i'll leave it as is.

The problematic wheel is most certainly suffering freehub bearing failure again, this after just 500 miles. This is the fourth time they've failed, each time it's been a shorter interval - what the heck is going on? The bike hasn't been heavily loaded and not exactly abused in terms of mileage either. Wheel is a Kinesis CX disc with Campy freehub bought September 2014 with a 12-29 11 speed cassette - answers on a postcard!
Roy A

Post by Roy A »

[The problematic wheel is most certainly suffering freehub bearing failure again, this after just 500 miles. This is the fourth time they've failed, each time it's been a shorter interval - what the heck is going on? The bike hasn't been heavily loaded and not exactly abused in terms of mileage either. Wheel is a Kinesis CX disc with Campy freehub bought September 2014 with a 12-29 11 speed cassette - answers on a postcard!]

Recently Mercian posted a picture of a Campag freehub on their Instagram page. This shows a lubrication hole closed by a grub screw. Apparently these freehubs require lubrication otherwise the inner bearings tend to fail.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgqgJc1giwL ... ciancycles
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Roy A wrote:[The problematic wheel is most certainly suffering freehub bearing failure again, this after just 500 miles. This is the fourth time they've failed, each time it's been a shorter interval - what the heck is going on? The bike hasn't been heavily loaded and not exactly abused in terms of mileage either. Wheel is a Kinesis CX disc with Campy freehub bought September 2014 with a 12-29 11 speed cassette - answers on a postcard!]

Recently Mercian posted a picture of a Campag freehub on their Instagram page. This shows a lubrication hole closed by a grub screw. Apparently these freehubs require lubrication otherwise the inner bearings tend to fail.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgqgJc1giwL ... ciancycles

To clarify, this is not a Campagnolo hub or wheel, it is a Kinesis wheel with their in house Campag compatible freehub.

Brand new bearings that haven't seen wet or high load should not be failing like this.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Roy A wrote:[The problematic wheel is most certainly suffering freehub bearing failure again, this after just 500 miles. This is the fourth time they've failed, each time it's been a shorter interval - what the heck is going on? The bike hasn't been heavily loaded and not exactly abused in terms of mileage either. Wheel is a Kinesis CX disc with Campy freehub bought September 2014 with a 12-29 11 speed cassette - answers on a postcard!]

it sounds to me that there are several possibilities

1) that the bearings have been damaged during installation
2) that the assembly is not correct
3) that the bearings are rubbish (in sealing or lubrication)

The first thing to check is 2), specifically that the spacer is fitted between the freehub bearings; if this is omitted, or is the wrong length then the bearings will fail quickly and catastrophically.

If the bearings are rusty-looking, suspect 3)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

I have some 2000 era Record hubs with the lubrication hole and cover in the middle of the hub shell, but I was not aware of the existance of a lubrication hole in the freehub (and cannot recall noticing it when I removed the cassette). I do recall that when I injected some Finishline Teflon grease through the hub shell lubrication port, it evidently entered the freehub, because the noise of the freehub dramatically reduced.

I'll make a point of getting the cassette off my hub at some point soon to check the freehub, and if there is a lubrication hole, I now have some Britpart semi-fluid grease (purchased based on various comments on this forum by Brucey and others) which I can use in it.