Has something changed in tyre valves?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GideonReade

Has something changed in tyre valves?

Post by GideonReade »

I've had a number of occurrences in the last couple of years where, on preparing to add some air to a tyre, the Presta valve core has come loose. Sometimes just a gentle hiss hastily tightened, sometimes rather more rapidly emptying the tyre, and once shooting the valve core clean out of sight.

But only in the last few years.

Is this because I've started using Schwalbe tubes, or has something changed, or have I just forgotten an age old problem?

(Presta, 700c, usually about 60psi max. To peak Road Morph.)
Brucey

Re: Has something changed in tyre valves?

Post by Brucey »

both Continental and Schwalbe use screw-in inserts for presta tubes (not all makers do). What has changed is that they don't always tighten them properly in the factory. It is a good idea to tighten them properly (eg with a small spanner) when you first fit the tubes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Vittoria tubes are often available from Planet X for £9.99 for 10 .... and they are faultless.
Buy some.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Vittoria tubes are often available from Planet X for £9.99 for 10 .... and they are faultless.
Buy some.

Yes good tubes but P X only sell limited sizes.

Once the valve core is tightened up in Schwalbe or Conti tubes they're faultless tubes too,been using Schwalbes for donkeys and the odd Conti tube without problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:Yes good tubes but P X only sell limited sizes.

Once the valve core is tightened up in Schwalbe or Conti tubes they're faultless tubes too,been using Schwalbes for donkeys and the odd Conti tube without problem.

Good point, well made ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

The connectors on Lezyne mini-pumps are notorious for unscrewing presta valve cores upon removal, causing instant deflation of the tube after one has just expended significant time and energy on pumping it up. If you've recently bought such a pump and haven't yet used it, check that your removable valve cores (if fitted) are well tight before you do. Don't ask me how I know this...!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Threadlock on the valves with those pumps has been suggested before.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I've known the valve caps to grip the valve when taking them off - the yellow ones made of softer plastic seem to do this a lot.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
CJ

Post by CJ »

I like those screw-in valve cores. The possibility of them unscrewing is easily avoided and on the plus side:
1) Keep a few old cores from much-punctured tubes and you can repair any faulty valve.
2) If you have severe puncture problems you can thus add slime (or similar product) as easily to a presta-valve tube as to schraeder.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I’ve just bought a Unior 4mm spanner for tightening valve cores...
RickH

Post by RickH »

Roadster wrote:The connectors on Lezyne mini-pumps are notorious for unscrewing presta valve cores upon removal, causing instant deflation of the tube after one has just expended significant time and energy on pumping it up. If you've recently bought such a pump and haven't yet used it, check that your removable valve cores (if fitted) are well tight before you do. Don't ask me how I know this...!

The newer connectors with a pressure release button (to depressurise the hose) are supposed to help stop the adapter unscrewing the core.

I've not encountered any problem with cores unscrewing using mine (but I do also habitually check the core is tight when first using a tube).

A recent foray into tubeless tyre territory means I now have a tool specifically for the job of tightening (& removing) valve cores that I've added to my on-the-road toolkit.

Valve core tool
Valve core tool
DSC_0574_crop_219x309.JPG (51.65 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

RickH wrote: ....A recent foray into tubeless tyre territory means I now have a tool specifically for the job of tightening (& removing) valve cores that I've added to my on-the-road toolkit.....

you might want to also check that you can remove the valve from the rim when the tyre is flat. Usually you can't, because the locknut is made snug when there is pressure in the tyre. You might want to carry a small pair of pliers to help you remove the valve, should you wish to fit a tube.

cheers
RickH

Post by RickH »

Brucey wrote:you might want to also check that you can remove the valve from the rim when the tyre is flat. Usually you can't, because the locknut is made snug when there is pressure in the tyre. You might want to carry a small pair of pliers to help you remove the valve, should you wish to fit a tube.

You're probably right but I've also got some plugs (that some folk call "anchovies"*) to stuff in holes that sealant won't fill. Maybe I'll get a tyre damaged beyond that sometime but, from my experience, a very rare occurance - I think twice in the last 10 years I've suffered any bad tyre damage/failure & the most recent of those (the previous one was 2008) was bead failure, so the spare tyre I usually carry was more use than anything else (I was running tubes in that instance & don't fit lockrings with tubes).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

somewhere between 1/10 and 1/4 of the punctures that I have had in recent years have gashed the tyre badly enough that a tube would have to be fitted to a tubeless tyre and a boot is needed with any tyre. It is easy enough to make the tyre rideable again with tubed tyres, rather less so with tubeless. I am not looking to change to tubeless anytime soon...

cheers
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I recently had the same problem with the presta valve unscrewing when using my mini pump (topeak), twice after pumping away for a few minutes, I managed to get the tyre re inflated with CO2. I have tried putting some Loctite on the valve before reseating it when I got home, just wondering if this is going to present problems later on and if it will be sufficient to stop it unscrewing with the pump again?
I prefer to use screw in valves as I am using tubeless tyres so will need to remove the valve at some stage for sealant top up.