MTB freehub servicing (tools?)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
esuhl

MTB freehub servicing (tools?)

Post by esuhl »

I have a mountain bike with a freehub. The pawls keep sticking and I'm sure the bearings need greasing/replacing too. And I might as well service the front wheel bearings at the same time.

Before I service it, I want to make sure I've got all the tools and equipment necessary so I don't get halfway through and have to wait for more parts to arrive. I've seen a few guides and videos but I'd really appreciate a little guidance if anyone can help... :wink:

I've previously replaced the gear cassette, so I have the chain whip, lock nut thingy, so... from what I can gather I'd need the following:

• Cone wrench (what size?)
  • Replacement bearings (what diameter?)
  • Allen wrench (what size?)
  • Mineral spirits to degrease and clean
  • Grease/lubrication (what kind?)

Do the wrenches and bearings only come in a few standard sizes? Maybe I could buy a set of each size so I know I'm prepared?!

Alternatively... could I just buy a new cartridge with new bearings, pawls, all perfectly set up in the factory...? What kind would I need?

Is it worth thinking about replacing the wheel? Or is that just crazy?

Thanks all!
Brucey

Re: MTB freehub servicing (tools?)

Post by Brucey »

esuhl wrote:... from what I can gather I'd need the following:

• Cone wrench (what size?)
  • Replacement bearings (what diameter?)
  • Allen wrench (what size?)
  • Mineral spirits to degrease and clean
  • Grease/lubrication (what kind?)

Do the wrenches and bearings only come in a few standard sizes? Maybe I could buy a set of each size so I know I'm prepared?!

Alternatively... could I just buy a new cartridge with new bearings, pawls, all perfectly set up in the factory...? What kind would I need?

All the parts you will need can vary with the model of freehub that you have.

But the one thing that is always true is that sticky pawls don't always necessitate a full strip down or a replacement.

Simply remove the rear axle (normally a 15mm cone spanner and a 17mm spanner on the left side), remove the ball bearings, and add oil/penetrant where the RH ball bearings usually sit (ATF is good for this part of the procedure). Then hold the splined part of the freehub body in your left hand, and spin the wheel with your right hand. After a few minutes the penetrant works its way in and the pawls usually come free. If not, leave it overnight (placed so that any dribbles will be caught) and try again the following day. Sometimes tapping the freehub body lightly helps to free the pawls. Drain, rinse, repeat.

Freehub bodies that are freed thusly normally work reliably subsequently, unless

a) the freehub body bearings are worn/corroded and/or
b) the spring inside the freehub body is corroded and weakened.

In which case you can rebuild, if you are keen, but most folk will replace the freehub body instead.

After flushing/freeing, lubricate the freehub body with oil and the main hub bearings with grease, or lubricate everything with a semi-fluid grease, thin enough that the pawls won't stick with SFG in with them.

Adjust the hub so that there is a tiny bit of free play in the bearings, that just disappears as the QR is used to tighten the hub in the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Hi Brucey -- thanks for your reply! :D

Brucey wrote:All the parts you will need can vary with the model of freehub that you have.

But the one thing that is always true is that sticky pawls don't always necessitate a full strip down or a replacement.

Simply remove the rear axle (normally a 15mm cone spanner and a 17mm spanner on the left side), remove the ball bearings, and add oil/penetrant where the RH ball bearings usually sit (ATF is good for this part of the procedure). Then hold the splined part of the freehub body in your left hand, and spin the wheel with your right hand. After a few minutes the penetrant works its way in and the pawls usually come free. If not, leave it overnight (placed so that any dribbles will be caught) and try again the following day. Sometimes tapping the freehub body lightly helps to free the pawls. Drain, rinse, repeat.

ATF... Is that "automatic transmission fluid"...?

Brucey wrote:Freehub bodies that are freed thusly normally work reliably subsequently, unless

In which case you can rebuild, if you are keen, but most folk will replace the freehub body instead.

Ah! So the "freehub body" is the name of the thing you can take out of the hub... and I can just replace it and have new bearings and pawls, all ready to go?

That sounds like a good option. It would be easier for me, and the bike has done around 12,000 miles so I'd image it would be worth it. Then I can take apart the old freehub body, and figure out how to maintain the new one with a bit more TLC. :)

But... how can I figure out what kind of replacement freehub body I'd need to buy...? :?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes, that is ATF.

You need to know what model hub you have. There are currently about a hundred different freehubs out there, about half of them are shimano ones and the remainder are various makes that mostly come out of Taiwan.

cheers
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Brucey wrote:yes, that is ATF.

You need to know what model hub you have. There are currently about a hundred different freehubs out there, about half of them are shimano ones and the remainder are various makes that mostly come out of Taiwan.

cheers

Thanks. How do I find out what hub I have?

The cassette I have is a SRAM PG990 (9 speed). Would that help determine the kind of hub body I need?
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

esuhl wrote:
Brucey wrote:yes, that is ATF.

cheers

Thanks. How do I find out what hub I have?

The cassette I have is a SRAM PG990 (9 speed). Would that help determine the kind of hub body I need?

EDIT: Oh -- hang on. I've just found the specs of the bike and apparently I have front and rear Joytech D142 hubs. Do I need to get exactly the same ones to replace them? At first glance, they don't appear to be readily available...?
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

It's looking like a replacement hub body might not be an option, so I've ordered all the parts (I think) I'll need to clean and re-grease what I've got. (Including new ball-bearings.)

I'm not quite sure about what kind of ATF I need, though. I have plenty of DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Would that do the job?

Thanks again :-)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

esuhl wrote:I'm not quite sure about what kind of ATF I need, though. I have plenty of DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Would that do the job?

nooo!
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Brucey wrote:
esuhl wrote:I'm not quite sure about what kind of ATF I need, though. I have plenty of DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Would that do the job?

nooo!

Ha ha -- okay, cool, thanks! I searched Amazon for ATF and brake fluid was the first result!
ndmbike

Post by ndmbike »

I had to make a tool to remove the internal cup in the freehub body from an old ultegra hub.
It is a nice hub so worth the time spent grinding down a socket wrench part that fitted into the body.
It was pretty mucky and seized inside but with new ball bearings, grease and thin oil for the pawls, now works nicely.
Search for 'RJ the bike guy ' on Youtube and there is a nice video on this. You've probably seen the video already.

Not wanting to spend another session of grinding for the next hub, I just soaked it in white spirit overnight. Then dripped some thin oil into the body, hoping it worked onto the pawls and later some spray grease for the ball bearings. It also works very nicely now and was a simple quick job.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Brucey wrote: Freehub bodies that are freed thusly normally work reliably subsequently, unless

How do you strip the freehub body? I have never managed to get one apart.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

RJ the bike guy has vids on it on youtube.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the freehub body has slack bearings but the pawls are working OK you have three choices

1) leaving it as it as
2) replacing the freehub body
3) re-shimming the freehub body

If there is no slack in the bearings I would always try lubing it and flushing it first. Even though I have dismantled hundreds of freehub bodies it is still easier to flush and lube them than dismantle them.

If you are going to strip it then first the dust seal has to come out. If this has rubber lips to it, it usually just pries out. If it is made of thin pressed steel then (counterintuitively) the best method for removing it is to bosh it inwards first (using a length of tube) and then knock it outwards. The inwards boshing helps to loosen it. If reusing the dust seal, expect to have to flatten/reflare it, to make it fit again. A new rubber lip seal that fits the majority of shimano freehubs (and a lot of others) is only a couple of quid, so that is a good route too.

If the lockring/cup has two notches in it, the same tool that fits it will fit 95% of other freehubs (both shimano and non-shimano), eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Freehub-Body-Remover-MTB-Bike-Hubs-Install-Disassemble-Removal-Tool-/322643815827
If the cup has four notches in, you might get away with a two-dog tool, but then again you might not. The lockring/cup is on a left handed thread, and unscrews.

Beneath the lockring/cup there is a bed of shims. Remove a thin one and replace the lockring/cup. It might take a few goes but you should be able to make it so that there is minimal free play in the bearings. If you are fussy, you can lap the back of the lockring/cup to eliminate that last bit of free play. Note that the reading is correct only when the lockring/cup is tightened properly; whether there is free play or not at other times is irrelevant; if you try and leave it half-tight, the lockring/cup will move in service and will probably self tighten anyway, which will destroy the bearings if you have removed one shim too many.

Note that shims (as well as varying in thickness) come in two main flavours; shimano and non-shimano. They are not the same as one another, being slightly different diameters.

If the freehub bearings were corroded, the result may be a rather rumbly bearing after it has been adjusted correctly. After a few thousand miles it may need to be adjusted again. However IMHO a slightly rumbly bearing with little or no play is much preferable to one that is loose.

cheers
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Brucey wrote:If the lockring/cup has two notches in it, the same tool that fits it will fit 95% of other freehubs (both shimano and non-shimano), eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Freehub-Body-Remover-MTB-Bike-Hubs-Install-Disassemble-Removal-Tool-/322643815827
If the cup has four notches in, you might get away with a two-dog tool, but then again you might not. The lockring/cup is on a left handed thread, and unscrews.

Thanks. I was never quite sure enough that it was left handed to apply enough force.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?