Gears feel rough

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Gears feel rough

Post by reohn2 »

Fraz101 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:TBH I think it's the fault of the cheap chain more than anything.
That said a lube that penetrates into the chain is a must if you clean off the factory grease(something I always do)

So do you think the removal of the factory grease is the main reason my chain has failed so rapidly?

My friend at work made a good point in saying plenty people buy new bikes from Halfords etc and don’t maintain them and will last longer than that and the bikes are probably fitted with cheaper quality chains than the seam pc830!?

I think it's a combination of thick lube not penetrating the chain after decreasing and a cheap chain that doesn't have hardened pins.
As I posted up thread,keep an eye on how long the new chain lasts,it'll give a good idea where you may have gone wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Fraz101 wrote:My friend at work made a good point in saying plenty people buy new bikes from Halfords etc and don’t maintain them and will last longer than that and the bikes are probably fitted with cheaper quality chains than the seam pc830!?

Statistically, most cheap bicycles don’t see 180 miles in their lifetime.

However, some of them do and their chains last a lot longer than that. But those bicycles aren’t owned by pea princesses who notice subtle vibration! (… Vibration that would be drowned out by little problems like flat tyres, grinding gears, brakes dragging, forks installed backwards, etc.).

Your chain would last a lot longer than 180 miles before it fell apart. But continuing to ride it would ruin your chainrings and rear sprockets, and eventually you’d have to replace all of those components at greater cost and effort than just a new chain.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

What’s a pea princess?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

A lady in a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale who was so sensitive that she felt a single pea through 20 mattresses and 20 feather-beds, proving she was a real princess. I’m joking about you being unusually sensitive to vibration. Don’t worry, I didn’t mistake you for a princess.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've not used the muc-off wet lube, so I can't comment on how well it penetrates a chain.

You don't say what degreaser you have been using, or how you dry the chain after it has been cleaned.

Upthread I suggested an experiment (using GT85) to see if your 'clean chain' is really clean or not; try that (because it is easy to do) and act accordingly.

You could be

- leaving degreaser in the bushings
- leaving dirt in the bushings
- leaving rinsing water in the bushings
- failing to get the new lube to penetrate the bushings
- using a lube that perhaps isn't really good enough

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

+1
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I cleaned the chain with a general degreaser called autosmart g101

I dried the chain using a clean towel.

You mention getting the lube to penetrate the bushings? Would I be best submerging the chain in oil for sometime then cleaning as much off as I can before refitting?
Mr Parker

Post by Mr Parker »

Maybe it's not your gears, but possibly bottom bracket or pedal bearings?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Fraz101 wrote:I cleaned the chain with a general degreaser called autosmart g101

dunno how good it is, but it is not really intended for cleaning chains?

Try the test I suggested with GT85 to see if it is really cleaning the chain or not.

If you dry with a towel, it will leave the interior parts of the chain (the ones that wear....) contaminated with water and whatever crud/cleaner has been left behind.

There is no guarantee that this will be displaced by a wet lube, or that the wet lube won't be corrupted by whatever residue has been left behind.

Again the test with GT85 will tell you something about how well the chain is dried; if you spray the 'dry' chain with GT85 (or another similar water displacer) and run the chain on the workstand for a minute or so, not too fast, you should see whatever water is left within the chain come out of it and bead up.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, hence there are many ways of looking after a chain. However there are many more ways of wrecking one..... :wink:

BTW the PC830 chain is not a very hard-wearing chain and would maybe only last ~750 to 1000 miles or so before it is worn ~1% anyway. If it happens in a smaller mileage than that it may not have completely wrecked the rest of the transmission.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Drying with a towel is not enough. You need to get the water out that clings to the tiny spaces between the links and rollers. Wiping a towel down the back of your head doesn't dry your hair. :|
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Drying with a towel is not enough. You need to get the water out that clings to the tiny spaces between the links and rollers. Wiping a towel down the back of your head doesn't dry your hair. :|

If you degrease with White Spirit wipe off the excess leave for 10 to 15 minutes(usually whilst cleaning the rest of the drivetrain) to allow any remaining WS to evaporate.Then apply TF2 aerosol spray,wipe off excess then repeat,the chain will be deep cleaned and well lubed,the first application will lube and flush out any remaining WS,the second is the final total lube.
YVMV,but it works well IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Is the chain too long? ie should a link or two be removed. In the video it seems wrapped around the sprockets a long way, but maybe it's running with the smallest chainring.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master
Fraz101

Gears feel rough

Post by Fraz101 »

MikeF wrote:Is the chain too long? ie should a link or two be removed. In the video it seems wrapped around the sprockets a long way, but maybe it's running with the smallest chainring.

I used the same amount of links as the original chain

21speed 3x7 112links
the snail

Post by the snail »

Personally I think degreasers etc are a waste of time, and if you end up washing it off with water that doesn't dry out before you re-lube then that will cause early failure. I just wipe the chain with a rag, put a drop of oil on each roller, run the chain round to work the oil in, then wipe the excess off, job done.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

the snail wrote:Personally I think degreasers etc are a waste of time, and if you end up washing it off with water that doesn't dry out before you re-lube then that will cause early failure. I just wipe the chain with a rag, put a drop of oil on each roller, run the chain round to work the oil in, then wipe the excess off, job done.

I think that’s going to be how I maintained my chain from now on

I’ve obviously done more harm than good degreasing it etc.