Lamp fitting on bagman

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
downstream

Lamp fitting on bagman

Post by downstream »

I'm fairly new on here so apologies if this is old hat, but thought this bodge might be worth sharing.
I use a bagman on one of my bikes and I've been struggling to securely fit a rear lamp. A bit of head-scratching time in the shed this afternoon resulted in this - a scrap piece of metal cut to the shape of the bagman 'platform' with a tab bent round the back, with the lamp bolted through. Looks ok when the bag's attached, and seems secure so far. Probably obvious, but the light's been mounted all over the back of the bike over the last few months and this is the first solution that's felt (to me) reasonably secure and neat.
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 846 times
IMG_1363.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 846 times

Best, DS
jamesbradbury

Re: Lamp fitting on bagman

Post by jamesbradbury »

Nicely done! Imo this is a good location for a light as it's higher than the mudguard or seat stays.

Probably more robust than my bodge using a plastic painting tray.

I also like the collection of badges on your bag. That would keep me amused if following you. [emoji3]
downstream

Post by downstream »

Thanks James!

Followed your link, we've had the same idea, but yours is probably lighter...I tend to ham-fistedness so have to over-engineer.

Had that bag since I was about 15; in my youth i collected patches from places i'd cycled to, probably thinking that it'd make me seem well-traveled and interesting. A few times since I've thought about removing them but haven't had the heart - nostalgia creeping in now I've turned 40...

Cheers

DS
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Good job.
I had a though about a small piece of plywood only at the rear side of the bagman tubing, mostly because I could also screw is some eyelets to lash things when the bag is not in. But I think I'll ask a friend to braze-on one tab at the rear (for the light) and two on the sides for securing a bungee or cord. P-clips may help in defining the position before the man will fire the torch!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
PH

Post by PH »

It is IMO a good position for a light, I've had them on Bagmans since they came out. My fitting method is far less creative than others, a Cateye rack bracket with a couple of stainless P clips, it does restrict me to cateye lights, but as they're what I'd choose anyway it's no hardship
Imagelamp by Paul, on Flickr
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a J82S on mine, shown with a Smart bracket on it.
(the rubber roll is to protect the mudguard from bounce when carrying a fully loaded Longflap on rough roads & tracks)
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
...and my Bagman 2 Expedition
Regards
tim-b
Attachments
IMG_2599 - Copy.JPG
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~