Pedal installation torque

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Pedal installation torque

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A wooden platform would be very slippery when wet.
robm99

Post by robm99 »

I got some of the converters mentioned above to do a mini triathlon to save me changing shoes.

They clip in and out easily and do the job for basic riding but don't give confidence for going quickly.
The platform feels too small.

They are ideal for a quick swap for riding around town though but I ended up swapping pedals for some of my flats.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bmblbzzz wrote:A wooden platform would be very slippery when wet.

not if it is covered in griptape (as used on skateboards)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I don’t know how far I’ve ridden in the last 30 odd years, but it must be way in excess of 100,000 miles. I have never owned a torque wrench, and never suffered a loose pedal (or any other bolt). I just screw them in tight. They have always been pretty hard to unscrew when time came to replace them.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Brucey wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:A wooden platform would be very slippery when wet.

not if it is covered in griptape (as used on skateboards)

cheers

Idea! :D
atoz

Post by atoz »

I recall someone, who was riding fixed, on a club run arriving at the bottom a hill with one pedal off. He had obviously been doing a lot of back pedal braking on the way down and the pedal had precessed off.

Yes I wondered if this might happen in some circumstances, but as I don't ride fixed, I'm no expert. I know that's why fixed sprockets have a LH threaded lockring.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

fausto99 wrote:...

I recall someone, who was riding fixed, on a club run arriving at the bottom a hill with one pedal off. He had obviously been doing a lot of back pedal braking on the way down and the pedal had precessed off.

and if he carries on like that, he'll have no kneecaps left in a few years! :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I think the incident occurred in the 80s and as far as I know he is still cycling.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:I’ve never read Shimano instructions or anyone else’s either.
I use an Allen key and just nip it up and no more. Never had one come loose and they’re always tight enough when you remove them.
Me too for my Campag, though I do have a pedal spanner for the Speedplay.

I don't worry in the slightest. They've never come loose and they're always tight but not so tight I can't undo them.

Thornyone wrote:I don’t know how far I’ve ridden in the last 30 odd years, but it must be way in excess of 100,000 miles. I have never owned a torque wrench, and never suffered a loose pedal (or any other bolt). I just screw them in tight. They have always been pretty hard to unscrew when time came to replace them.
+1
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Thanks, keyboardmonkey. In fact I was just going to post that I'd answered my own question by finding these:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BPD-90-Fee ... _60810.htm

alexnharvey wrote:I find it hard to believe those would be satisfactory over the longer term. I had plastic SPD converters, intended for test rides I believe, which I used for a while before switching to single sided SPD pedals of the type described above.

I wonder if a small weight would keep pedals flipped the right way? Maybe an SPD cleat plus a little car wheel weight would keep the other side up.

I got some of those and... it seems they don't fit my M324s! At any rate I can't work out from the fitting diagram how to attach them (it implies you wind the tension screw out completely and then seemingly flip the cleat receptacles through 90 degrees; I'm not sure that's even possible... ) and can't get the plastic cleat-shaped part into my SPDs. They might fit better on a pedal with a smaller body, as I think the flat-side body of the M324 extends too far out and prevents them clipping in properly. In any case, I've got to echo alexnharvey's doubts as to longevity; they're not the toughest of plastic.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I don't tend to torque mine (A530) and I've had them off and on my two bikes quite a bit over the couple of years I've been back into cycling. (See my recent BB thread).

What I tend to do is use a well-fitting spanner (I've got a set of RS combination spanners, which are slightly thinner than most and thus fit perfectly on the entire width of the pedal flats) and use a sharp tap with a wooden mallet to both undo and finally tighten the pedals. I find this easier and less sressful on the whole bike/stand than simply hauling on a spanner whilst trying to hold the cranks.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

fausto99 wrote:I think the incident occurred in the 80s and as far as I know he is still cycling.

A man with the strongest joints in the world. Everyone else may have required a surgery
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
atoz

Post by atoz »

Just swapped pedals on my ancient CB Majestic- took off single sided Exustars for double sided Shimano M520s. Even though the Exustars had been on for around 8 months they came off very easily (had put them on then to replace really old Lyotard quills that had been on the SR cranks 30 years!). I remember taking off the Exustars off my Dalesman a few years back, they were easy to remove then off Ofmega cranks. Some combinations of crank and pedal are not as tight a fit, and it could be that old style cranks have sloppier threads, or softer alloy- but I could be wrong, I'm no expert..