Avid Shorty 4-Which cartridge pads and holder?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djsb

Avid Shorty 4-Which cartridge pads and holder?

Post by djsb »

I'm fitting a set of Avid shorty 4 brakes and want to replace the standard pads with cartridge pads and holders. I've read that Koolstop are very good but I don't want to restrict myself too much. Is there any pad holder that will work with a wide range of pad inserts? I used to use Aztec pad holders and pads but would like to try better if available. Thanks.

David.
CREPELLO

Re: Avid Shorty 4-Which cartridge pads and holder?

Post by CREPELLO »

Your brakes use V brake pads and the metal cartridge type pad holders are all modelled on a common Shimano XTR pattern. Using cheap holders ought not to be an issue. The only thing that can sometimes happen is that tolerances can vary, resulting in the pad inserts being a tight fit. But that could happen with any combination. I use Clarks cartridges with Koolstop inserts myself.
Brucey

Re: Avid Shorty 4-Which cartridge pads and holder?

Post by Brucey »

the usual 72mm long design is indeed common and is referred to as 'XTR' type. I agree with the post above about holders; there isn't a big difference between them, and I have used all kinds with success in Avid shorty brakes

However I have two comments; some 72mm shimano holders have the mounting nearly central and this suits some brakes better than the asymmetric design that is used elsewhere. Avid shortys are OK with the more offset design IME.

Also on some frames the front brake won't open far enough to let the wheel out if 72mm holders are fitted but will open far enough if the 55mm 'road' size is fitted. Road holders that contain an integral toe adjuster swivel (as found on current 105 and higher shimano road brakes) can be fitted with longer bolts and extra spacers and used in many cantis that take a bolt-type (rather than post type) brake block. [BTW If you buy spare brake block holders for BR-CX70 then they come with all the bits you require, but it is an expensive way of doing it.]

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~