Schwalbe Marathon Bulges

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hamster

Schwalbe Marathon Bulges

Post by hamster »

I've noticed minor bulges on the sidewalls of my 26x1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards. They are not huge, but there is definitely some ripply distortion.
The tyres have only done 500-1000 miles, so are barely used.

I proof-tested them by pumping up to 110psi to see if there was sidewall failure, all seems well.

Any thoughts? It's the first time i've encountered it beyond obvious sidewall damage / failure.
mercalia

Re: Schwalbe Marathon Bulges

Post by mercalia »

I had a bulge in the previous model from a cut that damaged the carcass. in the tread. Thats all.The walls are so thick that a bulg in the side wall surprizes me. 110 psi is way beyond the pressure - that was a test wasnt it? should be 5 bars max about 70 psi
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tyres that have developed funny bulges are usually tyres with carcass damage and tyres with carcass damage invariably get worse, not better.

What usually happens is that (unless reinforced/booted somehow) the plies in the side wall adjacent to the bulges 'unzip', one cord at a time, and the bulges get bigger until the tyre does fail in service.

If there is no sign of external damage and the tyres are newish, it might be manufacturing fault (eg a fault in the layup), in which case it might be visible inside the tyre and it also might be worth sending the things back to the manufacturer.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

My marathons arrived on Saturday and I fitted them straight away.
Once fitted I spun the wheel and noticed a slight to side wobble in the tread.
I took the bike out for a 20 spin on Sunday and it felt like I was riding over a corrugated iron roof. I still thougt that possibly the tyre was not seated properly so stopped several times to see if lowering the pressure helped at all...it didn’t.
When I got home I had a better look and noticed a bulge in the sidewall as mentioned above.
A quick call to the excellent SJSCycles and Jamie offered to send me a replacement straight away.
First class no messing service.
Beauty will save the world.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thats not encouraging 2 examples of bulging marathon so soon
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IME Schwalbe quality control isn't what it once was.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:IME Schwalbe quality control isn't what it once was.

I've been using Schwalbe Landcruisers for years but the last 2 sets I've bough both failed to sidewalls splitting. I ride very carefully and don't bump up kerbs, ride on low pressures so I'm certain their quality is poorer. I shan't be buying Scwalbe again
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Previously I had big ben's fitted and was very happy with them, no problems at all after 1300 miles and hardly worn. I replaced them as the big bens were so tight on the rims I was in constant dread of getting a p******e 30 miles from home, as a roadside repair didn't bear thinking about.
Apart from the constant bumping from the front tyre, due to the bulge I was surprised how much more lively they felt, probably I guess due to the fact that they are 1.65" as opposed to 2".
peetee

Post by peetee »

A friend of mine had to send two pairs back before he received any that weren't out of shape. It seems that Schwalbe have extensive quality control issues as I have seen many of their cheaper model tyres with cracking sidewalls within months of purchase.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Thanks everyone, I will take them off in due course and have a look inside.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

In fairness to Schwalbe I have to say the replacement I was sent is perfect. I will keep an eye on the sidewalls but hopefully they will be okay.
I guess marathons are old hat to most here but this pair are the first I have owned and am very impressed with the way they ride. They are much more lively than the Big Bens, but then, they are considerably narrower, the steering is much more agile.
I will use these again if/when they need replacing unless someone can name a better all round tyre in 27.5".
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Don't forget that there are many types of Marathons. Best to state which type rather than just Marathons.

By, the by. I have some Marathon Supremes. Mainly used for touring. The front is 2 years old + 10,000kms, the rear 1 year old +5,000 kms, no sign of side wall damage and lots of (albeit minimal) tread.

Another thought. Are any particular sizes more suspect? Mine are 26" x 1.6, a tried and tested size.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

simonhill wrote:Don't forget that there are many types of Marathons. Best to state which type rather than just Marathons.

By, the by. I have some Marathon Supremes. Mainly used for touring. The front is 2 years old + 10,000kms, the rear 1 year old +5,000 kms, no sign of side wall damage and lots of (albeit minimal) tread.

Another thought. Are any particular sizes more suspect? Mine are 26" x 1.6, a tried and tested size.

Mine are marked original which I guess are the bog standard ones. I thought those were the ones mentioned in the original post but I may have miss read that.