Should I replace or repair my broken original Brompton Archer 5 Speed hub?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Should I replace or repair my broken original Brompton Archer 5 Speed hub?

Post by Sweep »

That is so sad.

I did sometimes wonder about the place.

That road has changed so much over the last few decades - when I first came to London it still had a slightly fearsome reputation - now it is pastel coloured Notting Hill "heaven" - the properties must be worth millions.

It looks like the mechanic skills may still be available though, so have pasted this from the web page as it seems that it may be disappearing soon.

@@

We stopped doing repairs in July 2017 and shut the doors in August 2017.
Mike decided which lucky shop he will work for. He is working for Hub Custom Bikes (formerly HalfPipe) in Golborne Road.
I (Ninon) will be taking semi-retirement working in various places part-time and also repairing hub gears and dynamo light systems in my own workshop. While I set that up I will also be sorting out things from the shop. I still have a bit of stock from the shop that is available, I am sorting it out so orders may take a little longer to send out. I can be contacted on 07410699297.
This website and email will be up for a little bit longer.

Thank you to all our customers for the very many years of support.

@@@
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Re: Should I replace or repair my broken original Brompton Archer 5 Speed hub?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I had a sprinter, which had its internals replaced, then that expired: I just replaced it with an old oil lubricated AW 3 speed.....
which I prefer as it changes gear faster which compensates for the lower range (Brucey's 'correct' method of 5 speed gear selection might have helped but discovered too late) . I found the five speed gear adjustment is more fussy and needed adjustment more often. The GRA pulley thing was also a pain compared to the simple flanged nut of the AW 3.

Does the modern AW3 NIG mechanism affect shifting speed?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)