Need a new Garmin

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robing

Re: Need a new Garmin

Post by robing »

I'd want wireless capability to be able to upload a ride via my smartphone.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

robing wrote:I'd want wireless capability to be able to upload a ride via my smartphone.

My Garmin 810 does that, their flagship model of the time although often still available, it effectively been replaced with later models, the 820 and their new flagship model the 1000, which inturn has been replaced with the 1030.

For me like many things fabulously tech' when they work as they should they are impressive, but when they don't they are the opposite! Mine drives me around the bend although thankfully not as frequently as it successfully navigates me around one. I got mine in 2013 and still enjoy it to this day, I use RWGPS to plan a route and upload via USB, so the "wireless capability to be able to upload a ride via my smartphone" is less of an a incentive for me personally. I do use the wireless capability to upload a ride to 'Strava', but even then I do it because it's a feature it does offer, if I'm honest it would not be a deal breaker if it didn't.

I highlighted "is" as in reality at the time of purchasing I assumed that the wireless capability was something I thought I would use, on a long tour it would be reassuring if I had the routes backed up on my phone as opposed to just on the 810 plus I wouldn't have to plug the 810 via USB to upload a course plotted on Garmic Connect. I quickly discovered the GC shared course planning with runners and living in a south London suburb the course would often send me down one way streets the wrong way as well as anticlockwise at roundabouts if that was the shortest route; frequent overriding of the course would cause the 810 to crash, so I gave up using GC almost immediately. Out of interest I I have just plotted a short course, selected "follow roads" and in it didn't stick to the road on a few occasions but sent me through parks and tracks that I didn't want to use; so I for one will still not consider using it!
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 15 Apr 2018, 6:18pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My Garmin 800 has been fine for 4 years. Battery gives me about 12 hours of navigation using OSM maps.
Surely the worry about needing to upload wirelessly is trivial. You can store months of rides and dump them occasionally.
A mate is after something similar but won't buy used. Nought a Montana but its too complicated. Now wants something that uses OSM maps and show ride data such as speed time etc.. Doubt anything exists.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mattsccm wrote:...Now wants something that uses OSM maps and show ride data such as speed time etc.. Doubt anything exists.

Perhaps there's not many people asking for a simple device with a long-lasting battery? :?
I believe there's a sizeable part of cyclists that can't be bothered with Strava/virtual partner/a verage performance and things like that. Would be great to have a GPS unit that can load maps, show the basic data like speed/distance/next waypoint and little more, all to save battery life and get at least 20hrs of use. Asking too much? I'm one of those that does not need 90% of the functions that a cycling GPS unit gives.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Montana ticks all those boxes except the wireless upload.

I know I keep harping on about them, but they are a VERY good unit that will do anything as well as go for 20hrs if you want it to.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Is there a Garmin app i can download, even if subscription, to use mapping and tracking on my smart phone ????
I'm very new to smart phones ........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
robing

Post by robing »

landsurfer wrote:Is there a Garmin app i can download, even if subscription, to use mapping and tracking on my smart phone ????

Garmin Connect
robing

Post by robing »

In the end I went for the Garmin Edge 820 Explore. As a Garmin user I already have Garmin Connect and have got Garmin mounts on all my bikes.
I got it from "word corrected to Halfords" so got 10% off for my Cycling UK membership.
I've only used it a few times but pleased with it so far. I don't think the touchscreen issues are as bad as people are making out.
On the go, I don't really do much with the touchscreen other than swiping between data screens and the map and it's fine for that.
It works fine with gloves on/off.
It comes with European maps. The mapping is just the right level of detail for a small screen and is colour.
It synchs well with the phone and uploads your ride instantly. Though it is not as dependent on your smartphone as the Wahoo GPS is.

As for battery life - I did a 60 mile ride today, had Bluetooth on and the map screen on the whole time following a preloaded course.
The total time including stops was nearly 5 hours and by the end it still had 50% so that's pretty good. There is a battery saving option and of course you can switch off Bluetooth etc. You can let the device work out a circular route for you from you starting point - you just determine the distance and the starting direction, it does the rest but I haven't tried that yet.

I will try and keep the unit immaculate and have kept all the packaging in case I want to return it though (have 28 days) ;)

My only gripe so far is that on my previous Garmin you could have one larger data field which I like to use for the speed. On this one I can't seem to do that - all data fields are the same size. But you can download apps from Garmin so there might be a fix.
Last edited by robing on 16 Apr 2018, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickH

Post by RickH »

robing wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Is there a Garmin app i can download, even if subscription, to use mapping and tracking on my smart phone ????

Garmin Connect

Garmin Connect is OK for seeing where you've been but doesn't work to show you where you're going!

The App will download & collate data from connected Garmin devices but it won't do any live tracking. You have limited ability to generate routes & download them to a device (The web version does much more). If you create or upload routes in the Web version you can see them (but not navigate them) in Garmin Connect Mobile & then download them to a device to use.

Edited to add: The Strava App & RidewithGPS App will both allow you to record your route using the phone's GPS capabilities.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
robing

Post by robing »

RickH wrote:
robing wrote:

Garmin Connect

Garmin Connect is OK for seeing where you've been but doesn't work to show you where you're going!

The App will download & collate data from connected Garmin devices but it won't do any live tracking. You have limited ability to generate routes & download them to a device (The web version does much more). If you create or upload routes in the Web version you can see them (but not navigate them) in Garmin Connect Mobile & then download them to a device to use.

Fair enough, I misread that. I thought he had a Garmin device too. He's probably better off using Ride With GPS to plan and follow a route - but I agree, much easier to do it on a computer and then use the app to follow it.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

robing wrote:In the end I went for the Garmin Edge 820 Explore. As a Garmin user I already have Garmin Connect and have got Garmin mounts on all my bikes.

Be interested on how you get on longer term please.

My Garmin 500 has generally been good, but been a Garmin, will throw the odd wobble. Like just stuck on the "working...." screen for a whole day at a time, routes not picked up and now not been recognised by the computer or charging intermittently.
Of course issues like this can be a big pain when away and relying on the route following. Like you, having Garmin mounts all over different bikes and other family members bikes is a big incentive to keep to the same make.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Des49 wrote:
robing wrote:In the end I went for the Garmin Edge 820 Explore. As a Garmin user I already have Garmin Connect and have got Garmin mounts on all my bikes.
Like you, having Garmin mounts all over different bikes and other family members bikes is a big incentive to keep to the same make.

Why?
The Wahoo came with two mounts.They take minutes to fit and if you want to keep Garmin mounts there’s adapters available!
Even if you have half a dozen bikes/mounts it’s the best part of 15 mins to change them all.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:
mattsccm wrote:...Now wants something that uses OSM maps and show ride data such as speed time etc.. Doubt anything exists.

Perhaps there's not many people asking for a simple device with a long-lasting battery? :?
I believe there's a sizeable part of cyclists that can't be bothered with Strava/virtual partner/a verage performance and things like that. Would be great to have a GPS unit that can load maps, show the basic data like speed/distance/next waypoint and little more, all to save battery life and get at least 20hrs of use. Asking too much? I'm one of those that does not need 90% of the functions that a cycling GPS unit gives.

See above gatto about the etrex 20 or now 20x. Pretty much as new refurb ones also available.
Sweep
Des49

Post by Des49 »

ibbo68 wrote:
Des49 wrote:
Like you, having Garmin mounts all over different bikes and other family members bikes is a big incentive to keep to the same make.

Why?
The Wahoo came with two mounts.They take minutes to fit and if you want to keep Garmin mounts there’s adapters available!
Even if you have half a dozen bikes/mounts it’s the best part of 15 mins to change them all.

You're probably right, not a big issue.
robing

Post by robing »

Des49 wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:
Des49 wrote: Like you, having Garmin mounts all over different bikes and other family members bikes is a big incentive to keep to the same make.

Why?

You're probably right, not a big issue.

You can convert a Garmin mount so a Wahoo will fit by simply snipping a tiny bit of plastic away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pP-Mdkiri0