Need a new Garmin

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Des49

Re: Need a new Garmin

Post by Des49 »

robing wrote:You can convert a Garmin mount so a Wahoo will fit by simply snipping a tiny bit of plastic away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pP-Mdkiri0

Excellent!
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

The new Garmin 520 Plus now has mapping, reviewed by dcrainmaker
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
mattsccm wrote:...Now wants something that uses OSM maps and show ride data such as speed time etc.. Doubt anything exists.

Perhaps there's not many people asking for a simple device with a long-lasting battery? :?
I believe there's a sizeable part of cyclists that can't be bothered with Strava/virtual partner/a verage performance and things like that. Would be great to have a GPS unit that can load maps, show the basic data like speed/distance/next waypoint and little more, all to save battery life and get at least 20hrs of use. Asking too much? I'm one of those that does not need 90% of the functions that a cycling GPS unit gives.

See above gatto about the etrex 20 or now 20x. Pretty much as new refurb ones also available.

Heavy and chunky, 25hrs of use from a 150gr unit, could be better
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Heavy!

It's not a unit for racing gatto :)

It's often carried with my butties.

Fillings not weighed.

all the best
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It's not about "racing" but weight vs battery capacity.
May be better to use a smaller unit and carry a small Powerbank: same weight but can charge more things if needs to.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I fear you are obsessing about this gatto :)

If the unit and screen was smaller I wouldn't be able to see the map :)

I usually do carry a compact powerbank. Spare AAs.

Which can also power lights.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

To me is more logic:
I have a hubdynamo-->I can charge things via Usb-->makes more sense to have usb-chargeable devices-->makes more sense to have a better ratio of weight/bulk vs battery capacity for any device

The problem I have with "hiking" gps devices is that won't have a neat handlebar mount? Won't have the even the basic cycling data, thus requiring a separate small cyclo computer? The ones without touch screen may take time to move away from the map area where you are?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, any info is welcome :D

Btw, so far I've used a very basic Garmin (I think is the Edge 500) that gives only a breadcrumb trail, and I compare it with the Gpx track loaded on the phone (the app is usually ViewRanger). My phone is waterproof and shockproof, so can even stay on the bars if needs to.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hi gatto

Ah if you are using a hub dynamo, yes, your choices might be different.

To answer your other questions:

The Etrex 20/30/x series have a very good bike mount. Very compact, solid and dependable. Though best to loop a lanyard as a failsafe for the one in thousands chance that something may go amiss.

They do have all the cycling data I need to do with distances, speeds, max speed, averages etc - in fact way more than I need. No cadence info but that doesn't bother me at all.

Yes moving the map around is poor but I rarely need to. I thought that was the result of the relatively slow processor though, not the button control. If I want to scroll round big areas of map other than where I am I use a small tablet with OSMand on. Or a paper map. You can easily "jump" to a distance map area by selecting an appropriate waypoint or significant POI such as a railway station or Spoons.

I may buy another 20/30 series as I fear Garmin plans to develop it much - maybe even kill it - they seem keener on releasing performance models which "share" your stats etc etc etc.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:...
The Etrex 20/30/x series have a very good bike mount. Very compact, solid and dependable. Though best to loop a lanyard as a failsafe for the one in thousands chance that something may go amiss.

They do have all the cycling data I need to do with distances, speeds, max speed, averages etc - in fact way more than I need. No cadence info but that doesn't bother me at all.

Yes moving the map around is poor but I rarely need to. I thought that was the result of the relatively slow processor though, not the button control....

Good to know, thanks! I don't bother with cadence either (it's in the brain, isn't it?) :mrgreen:

Sweep wrote:...they seem keener on releasing performance models which "share" your stats etc etc etc.

Not keen on that either, as I said before there must be a seizable chunk of cyclists that are NOT on Strava/etc and will consider more the battery saving than having bluetooth/wifi and other things onboard :?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

got mine in front of me at the mo (planning something for tomorrow) so can see that it provides the following (maybe more as I may have edited some out - you can configure it).

time of day
moving time
stopped time
total time
trip odometer
speed
moving average
overall average
elvation (from the map)
distance to next (next point in a route etc)
distance to destination
sunrise
sunset

lots of other stuff to do with direction and "bearing"
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

thanks! 8)
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Sweep wrote:They do have all the cycling data I need to do with distances, speeds, max speed, averages etc - in fact way more than I need. No cadence info but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have a feeling some of the eTrex models are compatible with the usual range of ANT+ sensors.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:thanks! 8)

In addition to what I quoted above gatto, have also remembered that it has a stopwatch function split into:

laps
lap distance
last lap
current lap
total lap
average lap

It probably has more functions - as I said it is highly configurable and I have temporarily deleted some features or relegated them to the background.

Your post was dangerous - next thing I'll be returning to laps of Richmond Park :)
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PS - you can also look at sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset for times in the future using a calendar for wherever you want. Can be useful if planning future nightime activities,.

edit:

You might find this lot useful reading gatto - an audax bod who doesn't appear to find the streamlining an issue :)

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

ratherbeintobago wrote:I have a feeling some of the eTrex models are compatible with the usual range of ANT+ sensors.

I believe it's compatible with ANT sensors for heart rate, combined speed/cadence, temperature (which I use with my 30x), and some sort of geocaching tag.
The temperature sensor can usefully be mounted below the back of the saddle, where it's largely out of the way of the sun raising the reported temperature (always a problem with anything on the handlebars).

I also discovered fairly recently that it does gradients (after going through a 60CSx and an eTrex Vista HCx, which also had gradient, without finding it).
It's called "glide ratio", and reports negative 1 in x numbers, so a 5% climb is reported as -20, a 10% climb is reported as -10, a 20% climb is reported as -5, and a 12.5% descent is reported as +8.

I went for the Etrex 30x because...
a) it uses AAs, which allow it to be re-powered almost instantly by putting a new pair in. As a dynamo user, I'm not very good at remembering to charge things, and know it. At least with the AAs, I've a week or so to get round to recharging the backup pair, with normal usage.
b) It uses buttons, rather than a touchscreen. This means I can work it with normal gloves on, it doesn't register raindrops as commands to do something, and I can work it by touch and ear, with occasional glances at the screen, rather than having to look at it.