Corky mirror

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Corky mirror

Post by David9694 »

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cor ... ror-676583

Poking around this website, I found this neat little mirror.

Has anyone tried it? how robust is it when the mirror is flipped out?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
pedalsheep

Re: Corky mirror

Post by pedalsheep »

I also had the same question but it is only about a fortnight since it was on kickstarter so I doubt if anyone has any experience of them just yet.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I know nothing of the Corky.
I do find a Mirrycle which I have bodged to fit an STI lever completely adequate.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Debs

Post by Debs »

The Corky mirror [above] does look very neat and tidy but much depends upon the practical quality of the mirror itself in how much one can see of what's behind.
The only way to find out is to buy one and try it out.

I'm presently using a 9.98 € Zefal Spin Mirror [below] which is very good but just like the jurassic park mirror it tends to show images appearing further away than how they really are.
This means i often hear a car coming up behind me before i can see it in the mirror :|
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The Corky mirror looks very small, so to increase the angle of view it may be a lot more convex than, say, the Mirrycycle. This would mean that objects would appear quite far away, and very small. I once tried a very small, very convex mirror and it was useless - cars were so small that I couldn't see them. My current favourite is the B&M Cyclestar.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I have used bar end mirrors and the only fault I could find was you really have to look down, just shifting your eyes does not do it for me. the Spin mirror is now my mirror of choice and it works really well on bull horn handle bars fitted to my rat bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a B+M bar end mirror on both my bikes.
The problem with the Corky, is that it won't move outwards to see round you. Having it straight, it would be looking at my hips.
Maybe if you have wide 'bars it could be ok, but IMHO, dropped 'bars should be the same width as your shoulders.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... r-end-fit/
IMG_0388.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mick F wrote:I have a B+M bar end mirror on both my bikes.
The problem with the Corky, is that it won't move outwards to see round you. Having it straight, it would be looking at my hips.
Maybe if you have wide 'bars it could be ok, but IMHO, dropped 'bars should be the same width as your shoulders.

Have to agree with you. I use the B&M and believe it to be the benchmark bar end mirror. If I had this mirror, I'd definitely mount it turned 90 degrees so it pointed outwards. I hope it's git the adjustment in it to make it useful.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

As I posted above, I use the Mirrycle drop bar mirror on one bike. To fit an STI lever some work is needed. I did not much like their velcroed model they make to fit STIs.
I made a small hole in the rubber hood and drilled the alloy, on the line the cable hole goes on a non STI lever. I tapped this and used the nut which comes with the Mirrycle to lock the tube which comes with the mirror into place.
On other bikes I use a Third Eye spectacle mirror which also does the job well. It does attract attention, and I have been asked about it several times. I respond with enthusiasm. They also make a helmet model. Other makes may be available.
It may be the increasing stifness of my ageing neck which makes me keen on mirrors. I find they are very useful turning right on a fast road.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Looking for bar end mirrors for my new bike.
So far I have used a CatEye circular bar end mirror on an adjustable stalk, but they no longer make this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-910062-Bm-300G-Race-Mirror/dp/B000P1Q170
Their current alternative is a mirror about the size of a pound coin in the end of the bar, which seems far too small to give a decent view. I'm also not sure how well they would see past bandy legs and bulky panniers.
I rely on a rear view mirror as I'm not twisty and bendy. Even more important, I assume, on a laden touring bike.

In practice, I can get the bulkier CatEye variant for my mountain bike and steal the bar end mirror for the tourer but I would like the option for an extra mirror if required (or to replace breakage - managed to smash one on a low hanging branch with the bike on the roof).

The SJS web page seems to have some useful looking options, though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/busch-muller-cycle-star-80-mirror-short-curved-stem/ seems to be about the closest to what I have.

Edit: having said all that, has anyone tried these?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sprintech-racing-road-mirrors-black/
A matching pair on the end of the drops, and a reasonable size.
Just not sure how adjustable the view is.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mike Sales wrote:As I posted above, I use the Mirrycle drop bar mirror on one bike. To fit an STI lever some work is needed. I did not much like their velcroed model they make to fit STIs.

The STI Mirrycle doesn't velcro to the lever hood (iirc, that was earlier versions of the Blackburn).
I think it uses the same connections that hold the front of the rubber lever hood onto the lever.

The Mirrycle (original in my case) is the only mirror I've ever found to be useful on drop bars.

In my riding position, anything on the bar end is hidden by my arms, and by the time I've moved my arm or leant to the side to look round it, I may have just as well looked behind properly.
That's quite apart from cars getting hidden behind my hip or the saddlebag side pocket until they are close, or (in my case) the position currently being occupied by bar-end shifters.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Looking for bar end mirrors for my new bike.
So far I have used a CatEye circular bar end mirror on an adjustable stalk, but they no longer make this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-910062-Bm-300G-Race-Mirror/dp/B000P1Q170
Their current alternative is a mirror about the size of a pound coin in the end of the bar, which seems far too small to give a decent view. I'm also not sure how well they would see past bandy legs and bulky panniers.
I rely on a rear view mirror as I'm not twisty and bendy. Even more important, I assume, on a laden touring bike.

In practice, I can get the bulkier CatEye variant for my mountain bike and steal the bar end mirror for the tourer but I would like the option for an extra mirror if required (or to replace breakage - managed to smash one on a low hanging branch with the bike on the roof).

The SJS web page seems to have some useful looking options, though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/busch-muller-cycle-star-80-mirror-short-curved-stem/ seems to be about the closest to what I have.

Edit: having said all that, has anyone tried these?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sprintech-racing-road-mirrors-black/
A matching pair on the end of the drops, and a reasonable size.
Just not sure how adjustable the view is.

I used the Cateye bar-end "racing" mirrors for years and still have them on the tourer and the similar heavy-duty winter bikes. Lately I've been using the Sprintech bar-end mirrors from SJS.

The Cateyes give a good clear view with their convex mirror but have two drawbacks: they vibrate on rough roads; they bend out of place in high winds (e.g. going down hills at 30-40mph). I used one with a Redshift stem with the elastomer vibration-killer bits & pivot. This stem not only immensely improves the feel of rough roads at the handlebars but also kills the vibration that affects the Cateye mirror. The Cateye still goes out of place in that stiff wind though. It is possible to also reduce the Cateye vibration by sticking a lump of blu-tak to the back, to change it's reverberation frequency. But they do still vibrate on some rough roads.

The Sprintech are much better designed in terms of their anti-vibration properties and their disinclination to move in the stiff winds of high speed travel. They give a good view with their convex mirror but are not as large in surface area as the Cateye, They don't stick out as much as the Cateye mirror either, so you don't get quite the wide field of view as a Cateye gives. However, if you use a Sprintech mirror on both sides of the bars, this does give a full-field view behind if you carefully position the mirrors to stick out a little bit at their fat ends. Yopu also need to ensure that the angle of dangle that your bars are at doesn't limit the movement of the Sprintechs so you can only see the ground or the sky.

Other users have complained that the Sprintech mirror bit can drop out of it's frame as they age; and that they scratch easily. I've put two tiny dots of glue on the mirror-frame boundaries to act as a failsafe to stop mirror-loss. I've also avoided wiping the mirrors with a cloth just used to clean the wheel rims. :-) Use of the spectacles polishing/cleaning cloth is best, as it's made for the job and won't scratch if the cloth is kept clean.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I've been very pleased with B and M mirrors in the bar ends on dropped handlebars. I've also used those little Zefal mirrors with rubber straps onto other bikes (e.g. a Brompton with stubbies) but couldn't get on with that folding Zefal mirror. I also have a B and M bar end mirror on a stalk with a larger diameter which works OK and helps with looking around a saddle bag but just doesn't look right on a sports bike and gives no practical advantage.