Mini-Track-pumps: why none extended to normal height (and any DIY mods?)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Mini track pumps like the Road/Mountain Morph seem to have a slight flaw:

the stroke is much shorter than a full size track pump making use slightly awkward due to the short height (much bending of knees etc):

The short stroke itself is not a problem.

surely a simple series fold out extension tube to make height equal to full size pump would solve the reach (and consequent extreme bent knees)? Any DIY mods been done?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
gaz

Re: Mini-Track-pumps: why none extended to normal height (and any DIY mods?)

Post by gaz »

Topeak Joe Blow Sport 2 has a quoted height of 67cm. Topeak Road Morph has a quoted length of 37cm.

Ignoring the handle fold you are considering a 30cm extension not far short of the length of the pump itself.

IMO the little fold out foot is vulnerable, I rarely use it. A joint of some kind halfway up the pump (or many joints) would not inspire me with confidence.

As for DIY solutions. A standard house brick is 215mm. Carry one in your saddlebag, when the fairy strikes stand it on the ground and put the base of the pump on top :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Well I find it annoying and a significant difference:

any helpful posts? :)
PH

Post by PH »

I use mine hand held with the valve at the top until it become hard to do so, only the last bid needs something solid to press against and there's sometimes something to improvise with. On the rear, with the bike the right way up and the valve at the top, I can use the pump resting on the rack.
rjb

Post by rjb »

gaz wrote:
As for DIY solutions. A standard house brick is 215mm. Carry one in your saddlebag, when the fairy strikes stand it on the ground and put the base of the pump on top :wink: .

I believe a certain gentleman on this forum carries a breeze block on his trailer. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... any helpful posts?...

As Les Dawson used to say "The answer's in the question."

If they were normal height, they'd not be mini.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Option 1
Use the pump with the tyre valve at the top, and the pump braced against your rack or a convenient wall or gatepost rather than the ground. Sometimes there won't be anything, and you'll have to bend over, as you are currently

Option 2
If you want to bodge, I'd look at a tube that split in the middle, and had a foot at one end, and a socket to accept the base of the mini track pump at the other. A section either side of a joint in a large diameter tent pole (eg Vango Force 10 Classic, 22 mm, and shower curtain rail end fittings may work. If you buy rather than scavenge, it may cost a bit, and there would be significant extra bulk and weight.

Option 3
Work out what's the lightest full size track pump, and carry that.

Option 4
Get a CO2 inflator
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The one I had saw me kneeling on the foot pegs.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Why the modern obsession with mini pumps? I still use the old full length ones, each the exact length to fit on one of the main frame tubes. Good long stroke and enough pressure to provide an efficient ride.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

thirdcrank wrote:...As Les Dawson used to say "The answer's in the question."
If they were normal height, they'd not be mini.

:)
But the mini is for portability (fits in saddlebag*): I just want one that 'unfolds' to have the same ergonomic height as a home track pump whilst being able to live with the compromise of a shorter stroke: ie a portable full size tack pump that becomes more compact for travel but with the compromise of a shorter stroke: a bit like a bicycle that folds,,,,.

*I don't use a long frame pump because one bike has other stuff on frame and the other is a folder with no such places.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

andrew_s wrote:Option 1 Use the pump with the tyre valve at the top, and the pump braced against your rack or a convenient wall or gatepost rather than the ground. Sometimes there won't be anything, and you'll have to bend over, as you are currently

I never liked the idea of leaning on the bike as I pumped up the tyre on said bike.
(I once has a Pneuforce).
andrew_s wrote:Option 2 If you want to bodge, I'd look at a tube that split in the middle, and had a foot at one end, and a socket to accept the base of the mini track pump at the other. A section either side of a joint in a large diameter tent pole (eg Vango Force 10 Classic, 22 mm, and shower curtain rail end fittings may work. If you buy rather than scavenge, it may cost a bit, and there would be significant extra bulk and weight.

Yes, thats the line of what I was thinking, but a full size track pump is so much nicer than using a mini track pump in same manner, I was kind of surprised no manufacturer has tried it.
andrew_s wrote:Option 3 Work out what's the lightest full size track pump, and carry that.

I haven't seen one that is unbulky enough yet... :)
andrew_s wrote:Option 4Get a CO2 inflator

Never :)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Grandad wrote:Why the modern obsession with mini pumps? I still use the old full length ones, each the exact length to fit on one of the main frame tubes. Good long stroke and enough pressure to provide an efficient ride.

That's what I use too, but these days most bike frames aren't suitable for a frame fit pump, with sloping top tubes leaving the seat tube too short and removing the acute angle between top and down tubes. Pump pegs on the back of the head tube are very rare (Surly Truckers are the only frames with one I've seen recently), and carbon or hydroformed aluminium frames are far too smoothly rounded around the tube joints.
PH

Post by PH »

Grandad wrote:Why the modern obsession with mini pumps? I still use the old full length ones, each the exact length to fit on one of the main frame tubes. Good long stroke and enough pressure to provide an efficient ride.

Obsession might be a bit strong, but for those who leave bikes parked, the choice is risk having it nicked or carry it around with you and it's a lot easier to carry a mini pump. Plus, the track pump style are considered by many (Including me) easier to use.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:

Obsession might be a bit strong, but for those who leave bikes parked, the choice is risk having it nicked or carry it around with you and it's a lot easier to carry a mini pump. Plus, the track pump style are considered by many (Including me) easier to use.

Yes, I don't find my full length Zefal HPX pumps any easier than a "mini track pump". And both types of pump are much easier if you are lucky enough to puncture close to bench you can sit on.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I use a halfords mini track pump and find it easier to use than a frame fit one.
Besides it's a get you home or to the nearest bike shop if your running very high pressures (above 120 psi) because mine goes up to that.

Track or stirrup pumps are for home or track (velodrome) use.
Back in the 1950's there used to be one that the handle and footplate folded so it could be fitted to the frame, But they didn't have a pressure gauge on them.
If I remember correctly I think they were made by Dunlop.

If bending over is such a problem/bind you could get a foot pump!
Halfords used to do plastic ones that wieghed less and didn't rust.
Main drawback you need an adaptor for anything other than schraeder valves.
+ it's a bit bulky. :lol: