A couple of things to watch out for...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b

A couple of things to watch out for...

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Just completed a full post-winter strip down and clean on my commuter
Apart from the obvious drive train stuff, the red Weldtite TF2 Teflon grease had turned to pink blancmange in the rear hub (front's ok). Back to lithium grease there
The front mudguard had worn the paint off the inside of both fork blades, it really has been a wet, gritty winter :(
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
alexnharvey

Re: A couple of things to watch out for...

Post by alexnharvey »

I am curious about your thinking and the decision to switch back to lithium.

What do you think caused the TF2 red grease to turn blancmange? I am wondering if another oil or grease reacted with it, say from the freehub, or if you think it is water contamination, but then I guess you'd expect to see rusty coloured contamination?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The NDS has turned pink. The DS has gone a rusty brown; the outer freehub seal is clearly worn, so no surprises there
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I prefer a regular wipe-off and use of moisture-displacer like GT85, my bikes are wiped-off every weekend (5 minutes max time spent) and at least the wheels get washed once a month. Plus everything is kept indoors so water/moisture dries out and doesn't stay in.
This allows me to have very little wear on the rims (over 5 years with 20 miles daily commuting on the same Open Pro's) and chain/cassette, plus the bike is always tidy and looks good. Cleaning the wheels on a regular basis also allows for cleaning the mudguards, so no debris there and no rubbing/paint scratching.

For my wheels, I prefer cartridge bearings. When they wear out, just replace them and everything goes back to new. Those Miche hubs use some very common bearings that are cheap and easy to replace, in fact may be cheaper than buying two new hub cones 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...