Which Trek?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrich

Which Trek?

Post by andrich »

I returned to cycling about 4 years ago after a long absence. I bought a Ridgeback Touring bike, but I now want something a lot lighter for longer summer clubruns (up to max of about 100 miles) and Audax rides (mainly 100km only). I took retirement 2 years ago aged 60. I quite fancy a carbon bike and have been looking at the Trek range. I am undecided between the Domane and the Emonda, both in the SL6 disc versions. Any thoughts which is likely to be best, and why?
AndyK

Re: Which Trek?

Post by AndyK »

Not much between them in terms of kit and materials, so the question has to be, why does Trek produce two similar-sounding models? From the Trek GB website:

Domane: "endurance comfort ... As befits the world’s most advanced endurance racing bikes, we’ve developed the world’s most stable racing geometry. Still racy, but with a slightly higher head tube for better stability and greater comfort throughout the entire ride."

Emonda: "... the optimal fit to put most riders, including many of our Pro Team athletes, in the right position for power and performance."

It seems the Emonda is designed slightly more for speed, the Domane more for comfort. If you want it for long clubruns and Audax, that suggests the Domane is better suited.

But if you're spending that sort of money you should really see if you can try one out. Some Trek dealers are "road demo centres" and supposedly have various bikes available for extended test rides: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/store-finder/

Other brands of bicycle are also available. :-)
Debs

Post by Debs »

The Domane uses IsoSpeed technology, which is not suspension but a kind of frame compliance that can absorb shock.
Domane is a good frame choice to use for brisk riding on tarmac roads which aren't the smoothest, or even gravel.
I chose a Domane because the local roads i frequently ride on have very degraded tarmac, potholes, farmyard mud.
It's a endurance type frame which are ICU race approved but the sort the pro's would ride in Paris to Roubaix type races [think cobbles]

The Emonda is a Trek frame designed to be very lightweight, a hill climbers bike, good for skinny racers who can climb hills like Contador.
Or amateur weight weenies who simply want a bike to be as light as possible.
Apparently, they are a very nice bike in their way, but can lack comfort on longer rides,
and as most people here will know, if you want to climb hills quickly it helps if you'r very fit, and weigh less than 65 Kilo.

The main Trek road race bike is the Madone - more areo-dynamic styling, and is the usual choice of pro cycling road racing,

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Two Domanes reside in my shed. I like them because of the compliance technology at the back end and because the front end is tall, which suits my old-scrote bones and joints these days. Mine are both carbon composite frames. The aluminium versions don't have so much compliance because the seat tube bending (by which the compliance is provided) needs to be restricted a little with aluminium to avoid fatigue stresses and eventual cracks, or so I read.

They have a compact frame design (a top tube sloping down as it goes from head to seat tube). I could thus buy a size "too big" - 58cm rather than 56cm - which makes the front end even taller but still allows me to easily stand over the top tube. Best of all, it means no toe overlap with the front wheel. I did need to buy a shorter stem.

Despite being more Audax than racing machine, the frame is very efficient at transferring pedalling energy to the back wheel. Even though I am much more upright on it than most in my club, who favour racing geometry, I manage to go just as fast. To become aero, one merely crouches down a bit on the drops, which are not too uncomfortable because they don't press your nose on the front tyre.

I've had one for 5 years and the other for 3 years, doing thousands of miles. Were I to need another bike (e.g. because the ones I have were pinched or badly damaged) I would buy Domanes again.

There are some features that some won't like:

The press-fit BBs on mine have been fine but many complain about the design of press-fit BBs in general, alleging they get an incurable squeak. I haven't got the squeaks but I may be lucky; or gentle on the bike; or good at maintenance. :-)

The riveted-on front derailleur hanger will only descend enough to accommodate a 50t big ring. I would like a 48 or even a 46 but this leaves too big a gap between the ring and the derailleur cage. Stupidly, the front derailleur will ascend to accommodate a 55t big ring........

Otherwise I have found Domanes to be the best bike frame I've ever owned (and I've owned a few in 60 years of cycling). I do, though, find the disc-braked version preferable to the calliper brake version. The former will take 30mm tyres with guards or 35mm without. The latter will only just accept 28mm without guards. (The frames have "hidden" mudguard mounts and a removable rear brake bridge so you can put guards on or stick a small grub screw in the hole when without guards).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I chose a Domane for all the reasons highlighted in earlier posts.
I’ve ridden it for 6 yrs now and for comfort it’s my weapon of choice. I originally bought the aluminium version which broke on the seat tube. Trek upgraded me to a CF version which did get BB failure and some ovalisation. Trek sorted that without hassle again.
Had no problems since and have been very pleased Trek sorted my problems and didn’t leave me high and dry like I’ve heard some manufacturers can do.
Someone local has just bought two ( his n hers) of the disc version which allow wider tyres. They are very happy with them.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cugel wrote:
The riveted-on front derailleur hanger will only descend enough to accommodate a 50t big ring. I would like a 48 or even a 46 but this leaves too big a gap between the ring and the derailleur cage. Stupidly, the front derailleur will ascend to accommodate a 55t big ring........

Cugel

Yes, i noticed this too, had a discussion about this in my local Trek shop but it didn't stop us swopping out the supplied Ultegra 50-34 with a Ultegra 'cyclo-cross' chainset of 46-36, and despite the slight gap after lowering the front mech as far as it would go, the changing still works fine. Perhaps this works okay on my 52cm frame bike because it's a smaller frame size (?) i dunno, but i would try it and see if it works in practise, imo the 46-36 cyclo-cross gearing is an absolute brilliant improvement over 50-34 :D

mig

Post by mig »

Debs wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Yes, i noticed this too, had a discussion about this in my local Trek shop but it didn't stop us swopping out the supplied Ultegra 50-34 with a Ultegra 'cyclo-cross' chainset of 46-36, and despite the slight gap after lowering the front mech as far as it would go, the changing still works fine. Perhaps this works okay on my 52cm frame bike because it's a smaller frame size (?) i dunno, but i would try it and see if it works in practise, imo the 46-36 cyclo-cross gearing is an absolute brilliant improvement over 50-34 :D

OT but isn't your rear light a bit low down?
Debs

Post by Debs »

mig wrote:OT but isn't your rear light a bit low down?

My rear light works perfectly okay where it is thanks
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mig wrote:
Debs wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

OT but isn't your rear light a bit low down?

as are the handle bars :wink:
scottg

Post by scottg »

Widget to lower a front braze on mech

https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
andrich

Post by andrich »

Thanks all for the comments. Sounds like it’s the Domane then. Now to decide if I need the Ultegra or the cheaper versions! I’m not sure if the extra cost is worth it. Any thoughts?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Visit your local Trek store, and have a ride on a demo bike.

They offer a bike-fit which seems very expensive at £150, but it's fairly extensive over a couple of hours, and the cost of the bike fit is discounted off the purchase of a bike [Different Trek stores may offer alternative arrangements on bike fit and cost so please don't quote me!]
But most importantly the Trek bike fit should put you on the correct sized bike with correct stem length and seatmast hight & setback.
All set up correct to include shoe cleat adjustment check over.
There is nothing worse than buying a brand new bike only to realise a few months later you should have bought a smaller/larger frame size...

Also, your local Trek store will most probably have bikes on sale price offer, last years models, or perhaps a ex-demo that's your size at a generous discount.
Always ask for a discount, they want to do a deal and can negotiate :)