Lightest (and most compact?) full-size track pump?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Lightest (and most compact?) full-size track pump?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Given the relative failure of my mini-pump mode thread :) :

what is the Lightest (and most compact?) full-size track pump?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mercalia

Re: Lightest (and most compact?) full-size track pump?

Post by mercalia »

compact and fullsize? a bit of a contradictions?

Topeak Mountain Morph?

[youtube]PDMdg53-lKY[/youtube]

will pump a lot of air as it has a large chamber and is a track pump and dont cost the earth. Is supposed to be able to get to high pressures. I have only eve tried for 70-80 psi

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mountain-morph-pump/
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

mercalia wrote:compact and fullsize? a bit of a contradictions?

Topeak Mountain Morph?

will pump a lot of air as it has a large chamber and is a track pump and dont cost the earth. Is supposed to be able to get to high pressures. I have only eve tried for 70-80 psi

Have mercy on the poor OP. When he says full size he means it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

alexnharvey wrote:
mercalia wrote:compact and fullsize? a bit of a contradictions?

Topeak Mountain Morph?

Have mercy on the poor OP. When he says full size he means it.

he also said compact and I pointed out a contradiction between his requirements?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Does anyone weigh track pumps? Usually the heavier the better.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in the town where I live I see a few maniacs who carry a full size track pump with them at all times. They need better tyres IMHO.

I usually carry a mini pump with me and although it is slow to use, for the amount I need to use it, it is just fine. I pump my tyres up at home using whatever pump comes to hand first. A track pump should be quicker obviously but if I have to walk more than ten yards to get it, it may not be. As often as not it is a zefal HPX that I keep near the back door.

If you are regularly having to use a pump more than once a week you probably have

- slow punctures
- stupid tubeless tyres that leak
- racing tyres with latex tubes
- crummy tyres that puncture too easily.

asking about things like a mini pump on a stick or a contradiction in terms like 'a compact full-size pump' is perhaps a symptom of something else...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Judging by SA_SA_SA’s other recent thread, he would like not to have to get low to use the pump.

Here’s an intriguing option coming down the pipe, from people with prior experience of pneumatics. The stumpy barrel precludes high pressures but they don’t claim otherwise. You pump standing up with your foot, hence the name “Stompump”.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Thinking laterally, would a traditional frame pump meet your needs?

Carrying a track pump, even a reduced-size one like a Lezyne CNC Travel Drive, is going to be a PITA.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I suppose a frame pump or full size pump with a right angled exhaust tube, fold out foot stirrup and a folding handle (as on the topeak morphs and other compact pumps) might be ideal for the OP. That's probably not outside the realms of what could be acheived with some modification. Of course, you still have the difficulty of carrying a long pump, unless it fits in the frame, which would be complicated by the fact the exhaust is on the bottom of frame pumps, which is also where it must fit onto the frame or the mounting point.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Full size track pumps can still vary in size a bit (eg height) or whether feet fold out or or are immovable bulky lumps of plastic etc etc. They can also vary in weight. So some will be more compact and/or lighter than others.

A lot of advice on previous thread was to use the mini track pump as a mini pump....
but it is sold as a track pump so I feel its ergonomics should compare reasonably favourably to a track pump even if some compromise such as stroke being only fraction of height due to fold out height extension tube: otherwise might as well just sell them as a minipump with an air hose...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you are prepared to go on one knee than even a short pump can be used as a mini track pump. There are compact foot pumps that use a vertical piston eg some here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=motorcycle+foot+pump

but the hoses are usually short so you have to bend over to attach them to the valve, or work out some scheme of attaching them and then rotating the wheel.

FWIW I still think you are perhaps being a bit fussy; presumably this is for a pump that you carry with you; I'd use one more often when on tour but in the normal run of things I use such a pump once every few months so I don't let its ergonomics worry me unduly. At home I use a track pump if I really want to.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

The Topeak "Transformer RX" could be an option. Foldable foot stand, 1 kg weight, and it also work as a bike stand:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... former--rx

The Topeak "Mega Morph" could also be a contender:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... ega-morph-

Personally I use the Topeak Mountain Morph and a CO2 "pump" as backup/"get me back on the road quickly" option.
--
Regards
pwa

Post by pwa »

So called "mini track pumps" (that's not how I think of them) have one big advantage over other pumps small enough to carry on the bike or in your bag. They use the floor to push against, instead of your other hand. That improves the ergonomics considerably. Nobody pretends they are as easy or as quick as a track pump. I suggest that if pumps designed to be carried on the bike are not satisfactory it might make more sense to resort to CO2.

This is the flattest full size track pump I know of, but I'd still not want to carry it around for the occasional puncture.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/birzman-tiny-ta ... 5998976861
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

+1 for the Mountain Morph.

I have the one with the small guage. It's a not the best guage in the world but i didn't want the large guage so this is a good compromise.

Had mine many many years. once a year or so I service it and it's good as new again.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Wasn't there a track-style pump produced a few years back that had a base that clipped onto your frame (chainstay?) to raise the operating height?

Thinking about that, it wouldn't be too hard to make something to rest the bottom of a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive (which is what I have) onto the bottom bracket shell to raise it to a similar height to a standard track pump. That would negate the need for an extending tube that is likely to be either flimsy or, if not, heavy.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.