Is this sprocket worn?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vetus Ossa

Is this sprocket worn?

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Following up on my previous question… viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121226
I now have a new chain, as yet unfitted as I have only just got around to removing the drive sprocket bash guard, and would like to know if anyone thinks this is worn and needs replacing, to be honest it looks fine to me but I am not an expert.
Remember it has covered nearly 1400 miles to date.

Beauty will save the world.
Username

Re: Is this sprocket worn?

Post by Username »

Looks fine to me. 1400 miles is nowt, sprockets should last much longer. 1500 miles is what I'd expect from a chain minimum. And sprockets tend to last 2 or more chains. (3 so far on my bikes without issue). Just make sure you renew the chain before it wears out too much. You can get a chain checker which indicates when a chain should be replaced.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

It looks slightly worn to me; not too bad but it may run a bit rough if a new chain is fitted on it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

The stuff I see at the shop about electric bikes does suggest that 1,500 miles is about the life of the chain - it may be worth looking at some of the chains that are designed (or at least marketed) as specific for ebikes with central motors and very small motor sprockets [IIRC KMC is one brand with ebike chains]

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I look at the symmetry of the two sides of the teeth to assess wear.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

robgul wrote:The stuff I see at the shop about electric bikes does suggest that 1,500 miles is about the life of the chain - it may be worth looking at some of the chains that are designed (or at least marketed) as specific for ebikes with central motors and very small motor sprockets [IIRC KMC is one brand with ebike chains]

Rob

Thanks Rob, I wasn't aware of that, will check them out.

John
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mike Sales wrote:I look at the symmetry of the two sides of the teeth to assess wear.

The sprocket doesn’t look exactly symmetrical I think, what is your opinion please Mike?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vetus Ossa wrote:The sprocket doesn’t look exactly symmetrical I think, what is your opinion please Mike?

I agree. Like Brucie says, slightly worn.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mike Sales wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:The sprocket doesn’t look exactly symmetrical I think, what is your opinion please Mike?

I agree. Like Brucie says, slightly worn.

Cheers both. As they are relatively cheap I may replace it anyway.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in some cases e-bike chains are genuinely different but the difference is often just that the e-bike version of a chain is longer than normal (which many e-bikes require, esp if the battery is between the seat tube and the rear wheel, which makes the chainstays a few inches longer than usual).

In markets where e-bikes can go 40kph there is the spectre of 'type approval' for parts, too, hence special e-bike tyres and perhaps other parts also. I don't know the exact state of affairs but if it gets as bad as with cars (in places like Germany) you may only fit 'type approved' wheels and tyres to any given vehicle else it may not be considered road legal, and many aftermarket parts (even windscreen wipers) must also be subject to various approvals.

cheers
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

You can see it's been used but personally I wouldn't hesitate to put a new chain on there - worst case it runs rough and you know it's time for a new sprocket, but I seriously doubt that it will.

As above - you can pick up a chain-gauge for literally a couple of quid and I find them a massive help!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have a Park chain wear checker and my chain has been reading at just under 75% worn for a couple of hundred miles now.
I have a chain on order and will fit it soonish I think, I also have a new drive sprocket (ebike) and as they only cost £6 I thought it made sense to replace it at the same time.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The sprocket looks slightly worn but would or could it be turned round for extra life and is it worth it at £6.?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

cycleruk wrote:The sprocket looks slightly worn but would or could it be turned round for extra life and is it worth it at £6.?

Haha, I was wondering that myself, but they are not exactly the same both sides, the face nearer the motor has a very slight ridge and as you say for £6 it’s not really worth trying.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

actually an incident yesterday has reminded me that if a small drive sprocket like that is worn, and is fitted with a new chain on a derailleur system, one likely outcome is chainsuck.

Being as this sprocket is really whizzing round, with a motor to help it, if you do get chainsuck, the consequences are likely to be pretty devastating.

Therefore I'd always change it when fitting a new chain.

cheers