Thumbie mounts for both 22.2 and 31.8 bars

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Thumbie mounts for both 22.2 and 31.8 bars

Post by Sweep »

Is there such a thing?

I can find only mounts for either one or the other.

Have been thinking of using a pair of bar end shifters as potential tour spares for two different bikes with these two different bar dimensions.

But after looking at Paul Components specs and prices that is going to be an expensive spares box
Sweep
Brucey

Re: Thumbie mounts for both 22.2 and 31.8 bars

Post by Brucey »

presumably you can get (or make) shims to allow the larger brackets to fit on the smaller handlebars?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have no idea.

Maybe paul components do them for another £35 or so!

Quite a big difference to shim though.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

I have a pair of IRD Thumbies, they fit 23.8 bars and came with shims to fit 22.2, they wouldn't fit on the bulge part of an oversized bar, but I'm not sure I'd want them there anyway, if I did there's some stem mounts that might suite better. I'm not sure if IRD are still available in the UK, I bought from the US via Ebay at considerably less than the UK price, though it was some years ago.
http://www.interlocracing.com/shifters-derailleurs/
The shims are pretty straightforward, if they hadn't come with them it wouldn't have been much effort to make something.
I've also seen bar end sifters used in a piece of bar set forward on an accessory mount (Probably on this forum, but can't find it). I was toying with the idea of doing something similar, though it was to swap bars on the same bike rather than swap shifters between bikes. In the end I decided it was too much faff. I've been down the road of having components shared between bikes before, maybe I'm just too lazy, I end up riding the bike that needs least effort to use.

There's a few more economical alternatives to the Pauls thumbie mounts, these for example will fit straight bars, I have not experience, but they're pretty simple things, I'd be tempted to give them a try, though maybe not on a long tour.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sun-Race-M96-L ... 0005.m1851
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:potential tour spares for two different bikes with these two different bar dimensions.

just noticed the spares bit - to me it looks like a complicated and expensive solution to an unlikely event. On my derailleur bikes I carry a band on friction shifter, never used it in anger, but a trial run and road test shows it'll operate front or rear and takes less time to fit than to change a tyre.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:presumably you can get (or make) shims to allow the larger brackets to fit on the smaller handlebars?

cheers

I did (later - after my other posts) by chance looking for something else find these Brucey:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392016274572 ... 1436.l2649

which look rather handy.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:potential tour spares for two different bikes with these two different bar dimensions.

just noticed the spares bit - to me it looks like a complicated and expensive solution to an unlikely event. On my derailleur bikes I carry a band on friction shifter, never used it in anger, but a trial run and road test shows it'll operate front or rear and takes less time to fit than to change a tyre.

Am thinking you are maybe right PH, despite my later finding of some shims (see above).

I was taken with the idea of thumbies from bar end shifters after reading Tom of Tom's Bike Trip talking about them with regard to the Oxford Bike Works Expedition bike which he helped spec/design.

But since I alrready have funtioning rapidfires fitted on all of these bikes thought of carrying them as spares.

But am starting to think (and this is from a lot of experience) that Mr Shimano's rapidfires are actually very dependable, probably won't go wrong, and that if they do I would be better carrying some down tube shifter levers as an alternative/"bodge". Both of the 9 speed bikes with the varying bar diameters have mounts for downtube shifters. The 8 speed bike doesn't but if I did ever plan to do a long long tour on that i could always take some band-on downtube shifters for that bike.

If I have missed something in this thinking, feel free to let me know.

By the by, if I abandon my thumbie plans some very nice Shimano bar end shifters will be on sale. I bought them from someone on here - never been used by either of us - still all in original packaging.
Sweep
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Are they not 22.2mm to fit the grip section of bars, which haven’t changed whether the clamp is 25.4, 31.8 or 35mm?

(Yes, I am aware there were some Santa Cruz/Juliana bars that had undersized grips)