Click Clacking Pedal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Click Clacking Pedal

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
There's a first time for everything :?
Always grease the pedals after cleaning the threads.
Have lately got into the habit of cycling a lot with only top gear and bike weighs in at 25kgs, up hill as well :mrgreen:
The pedals I use are cheap wellgo and need constant maintenance as they tend to wear quick.
Normally they have been ok and even when they develop slack remain some what quite.
On my way home a few days ago and noticed that there was a funny click clack from the LH pedal ever power stroke.
Stopped and checked pedal a little slack in the bearing but nothing unusual.
Carried on and it was back on a hill.
When I looked at bike I forgot about pedal noise, well actually couldn't find anything wrong so thought I would wing it one more time.
But at a late hour decided to take pedal off and dismantle.
Got spanner and went to undo..............all too easy, nipped up but not tight, more like Apollo bikes when you take them apart after little use abandoned in garden.

Tightened it up and that was that, next day no problem.

So, forgot to add that I normally use a pedal washer (standard 12mm washer opened up to slip over thread) it does sometimes deform.

So I deduce that my over bearing stomping on the pedal was / had loosened the pedal, maybe wasn't tight enough or the washer deformed some what.
Then the clicking noise and on releasing effort the pedal under went precession thus when I stopped the pedal was not loose?
Have to keep an eye on that perhaps better washer, reason for washer is to balance the pedal distance from the centre, about 3MM.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Re: Click Clacking Pedal

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if pedals do not have a full shoulder, a pedal washer can prevent crank gouging but this doesn't necessarily mean that it will definitely permit precession and therefore self-tightening.

Then again it might be something to do with how many threads are engaged. I once went for a ride with one pedal screwed in less than half-way ( :oops: :oops: don't ask; terminal brain fade I expect.... :roll: ). Ten miles down the road the threads stripped. The pedal had not precessed as it would have normally. Fortunately the crank had enough threads in the back of it that I could carry on using it....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Click Clacking Pedal

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Full shoulder.
Plenty of them moments :)
Yes I always think that less threads means it can strip out.
I'll just keep an eye on them.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.