Lightweight Dutch style bike ideas?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Elsewhere101

Lightweight Dutch style bike ideas?

Post by Elsewhere101 »

I’m looking for a lightweight ladies bike with a good range of gears for leisurely rides in London and also the countryside some weekends.

Most Dutch bikes I have looked at are way too heavy for me. I’m looking for something between 15-18kg.

I’m open to a racing bike if it means I can customise the handlebars to some tall North Road handlebars, but I’m not sure if that will look silly?

My budget is £200 and i’ll probably look for something on eBay.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Brucey

Re: Lightweight Dutch style bike ideas?

Post by Brucey »

Dawes lady galaxy (or similar) from the 1980s; easy conversion to flat bars, will accept a wide range IGH if you want.

They also did a model (the name of which I forget now) with a Reynolds frame that had either a 3s or a 5s hub and flat bars BITD too, and that weighed ~27lbs. Fit a chaincase and a larger sprocket, and you have a very competent lightweight dutch style bike, well under 15kgs.

BTW the ride quality on these bikes is remarkably good, too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

Hello Brucey, thank you for your advice.

I'm actually 'watching' a two Dawes models on eBay- 'Duchess' Hybrid and 'Gazelle'.

Gazelle is the one with the Reynolds 531 and it could well be the one you're referring to.

I'm not overly familiar with customising bikes. Do you think replacing the handlebars with North Road style ones would look strange on a racing bike or is that perfectly common practice?

Many thanks again
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is all in the eye of the beholder, looks wise. What I would say is that the steering can feel very light when flat bars are fitted to some bikes that have low-ish trail and are really meant for dropped handlebars; I converted a mens dawes galaxy thusly and it was a bit twitchy.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Dawes 'diploma'.

Almost ready made for you.

Much, much, nicer to ride than more recent offerings, which are (IMHO) somewhat lumpen by comparison. IIRC they did another model that had better (aluminium) wheel rims too.

cheers
gaz

Post by gaz »

Trek St Tropez, 3 speed IGH, google suggests approx 19Kg with lights, racks, etc.

531 mixte project available on the forum.

No connection to either seller nor knowledge of the items.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You might pick up a Kona Coco second hand although they aren't particularly thick on the ground.
Tao

Post by Tao »

:roll:
Last edited by Tao on 26 Dec 2020, 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Elsewhere101 wrote:I’m looking for a lightweight ladies bike with a good range of gears for leisurely rides in London and also the countryside some weekends.

Most Dutch bikes I have looked at are way too heavy for me. I’m looking for something between 15-18kg.

I’m open to a racing bike if it means I can customise the handlebars to some tall North Road handlebars, but I’m not sure if that will look silly?

Thanks

A light bike that is also efficient does cost money, there's no way to go around it.
I would recommend the Azor brand, they're good bikes and very well built. They do some with alluminium frames too, but you're looking to double the budget if not more. With 200 pounds it would be hard to get a decent new bike anyway.

Something like this? I'd ditch the suspension forks though

http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/Modern5b.htm
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

Brucey wrote:Dawes 'diploma'.

Almost ready made for you.

Much, much, nicer to ride than more recent offerings, which are (IMHO) somewhat lumpen by comparison. IIRC they did another model that had better (aluminium) wheel rims too.

cheers

Yes this looks great, i’ll definitely look into this bike. It appears a little more ‘Dutch-looking’ than the other Dawes racing bikes but maybe that’s my imagination. Thank you for your help on this!
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

Gattonero wrote:
Elsewhere101 wrote:I’m looking for a lightweight ladies bike with a good range of gears for leisurely rides in London and also the countryside some weekends.

Thanks

A light bike that is also efficient does cost money, there's no way to go around it.
I would recommend the Azor brand, they're good bikes and very well built. They do some with alluminium frames too, but you're looking to double the budget if not more. With 200 pounds it would be hard to get a decent new bike anyway.

Something like this? I'd ditch the suspension forks though

http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/Modern5b.htm

Thank you for the tip! My budget would unfortunately hold me back from a bike like this- as nice as it looks- and I’m bit a regular rider so I think something used would do me for now. That said I can always progress to something like this eventually.

Cheers
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

gaz wrote:Trek St Tropez, 3 speed IGH, google suggests approx 19Kg with lights, racks, etc.

531 mixte project available on the forum.

No connection to either seller nor knowledge of the items.

Thank you for the recommendation
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

Bonefishblues wrote:You might pick up a Kona Coco second hand although they aren't particularly thick on the ground.

Thank you, i’ll Keep an eye!
Elsewhere101

Post by Elsewhere101 »

Tao wrote:I have a Genesis Borough for pootling around on. High stack height and not too heavy at around 14kg. Genesis also do a step-through version called 'Columbia Rd' and the hub geared 'Smithfield'. All out of your price-range new but worth checking fleabay on the off-chance.

Look great but you’re right about the price. I’ll keep having a look!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Have you seen this on the noticeboard?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=120919

This doesn't have a step-through frame which would be an issue is you intended to ride whilst wearing a skirt. At £90 seems like a good deal for the right person who would probably need to be roughly 5' 10" to 6'.